Speedplay Zero Aero walkable cleats mini review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Wingsprint wrote:Hello,

Hopefully my first post on this forum does not create a flame war... and NO I do not work at Speedplay.

So, far my experience with the Speedplay walkable cleats has been the opposite of the problems outlined in this post. After seven rides, my cleats are functioning just fine and the covers have not moved at all. Now a possible twist- I am using Speedplay light action pedals with the gray walkable cleats. Could there be differences in the cleats causing this issue?

Hi Wingsprint,

That is interesting that your cleat covers seem to be fine. I pasted a link a few posts up from yours which goes to an article from Interbike 2014 when Speedplay announced all of these new cleats. Assuming your cleats are the same as the light action ones shown in that article, then the covers are not only a different color (with the possible corresponding materials differences others mentioned above), but also come from a different mold, having a diamond and dot pattern instead of the dimples of the aero model.

Aero is cool and all, but if the light action cover doesn't have the flaws of the aero one then it would be nice if Speedplay made that cover available on the standard Zero cleat too. The articles last fall kind of implied that would be the case, but I haven't seen mention of it since then.

thraex05

by thraex05

there definitely seem to be different models for the zero and light action:

Zero:
http://www.wiggle.nl/speedplay-zero-aer ... 60710240nl

Light Action:
http://www.wiggle.nl/speedplay-light-ac ... 60710241nl

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingsprint

by Wingsprint

TheKaiser wrote:
Wingsprint wrote:Hello,

Hopefully my first post on this forum does not create a flame war... and NO I do not work at Speedplay.

So, far my experience with the Speedplay walkable cleats has been the opposite of the problems outlined in this post. After seven rides, my cleats are functioning just fine and the covers have not moved at all. Now a possible twist- I am using Speedplay light action pedals with the gray walkable cleats. Could there be differences in the cleats causing this issue?

Hi Wingsprint,

That is interesting that your cleat covers seem to be fine. I pasted a link a few posts up from yours which goes to an article from Interbike 2014 when Speedplay announced all of these new cleats. Assuming your cleats are the same as the light action ones shown in that article, then the covers are not only a different color (with the possible corresponding materials differences others mentioned above), but also come from a different mold, having a diamond and dot pattern instead of the dimples of the aero model.

Aero is cool and all, but if the light action cover doesn't have the flaws of the aero one then it would be nice if Speedplay made that cover available on the standard Zero cleat too. The articles last fall kind of implied that would be the case, but I haven't seen mention of it since then.

Interesting. I wonder if the light action cleat covers are made from a harder material. My cleats are not deforming like the Zero cleats pictured here. Who knows?
:noidea:

superdx

by superdx

So I got a tube of E6000 (Shoe Goo's industrial strength version) and will try it on the left cleat. Hopefully better results than JB weld.

Since the cure time instruction is anywhere from 48-72 hours looks like it'll be Monday before I have anything to report.

scoby13md

by scoby13md

I had my phone meeting with Richard Bryne from Speedplay today. Let me say that it was what I had expected initially when I spoke with Bill and Yuzo. Richard is an excellent listener. And, as a cofounder of Speedplay, he understands the importance of good communication and customer service. He said that these cleat covers and cleats in the new aero combination are in use by thousands of riders, pro, recreational and enthusiast. He believes that our observations may be an outlier from the mainstream. I think time will tell on that issue. However, better for me, he stated that the older cleat and coffee shop covers are going to remain in the product line. I find that reassuring. My first correspondence with Speedplay was solely to ask for a replacement of the new stuff with the equivalent value in the older type cleat.

Richard told me that he will have the older cleat sent to me. I told him that I would send him my two sets of cleats and covers for Speedplay to analyze. I suggested that it could be that without the small, yellow caps, the covers might lose integrity and deform.I also gave him a clear history of my experience with walking in the cleats for short distances off the bike. He asked me about my weight (225 lbs) and we discussed possible influences of stride dynamics on the new product. Again, he seems to think our experience is an outlier rather than mainstream. My response was that time will tell.

Most importantly, he made me feel that he cares about the quality of his product line. It makes me feel more confident that while I may not have the right product for me with the Zero Aeros, I certainly am with the right company with Speedplay.

Liggero

by Liggero

scoby13md wrote:I had my phone meeting with Richard Bryne from Speedplay today. Let me say that it was what I had expected initially when I spoke with Bill and Yuzo. Richard is an excellent listener. And, as a cofounder of Speedplay, he understands the importance of good communication and customer service. He said that these cleat covers and cleats in the new aero combination are in use by thousands of riders, pro, recreational and enthusiast. He believes that our observations may be an outlier from the mainstream. I think time will tell on that issue. However, better for me, he stated that the older cleat and coffee shop covers are going to remain in the product line. I find that reassuring. My first correspondence with Speedplay was solely to ask for a replacement of the new stuff with the equivalent value in the older type cleat.

Richard told me that he will have the older cleat sent to me. I told him that I would send him my two sets of cleats and covers for Speedplay to analyze. I suggested that it could be that without the small, yellow caps, the covers might lose integrity and deform.I also gave him a clear history of my experience with walking in the cleats for short distances off the bike. He asked me about my weight (225 lbs) and we discussed possible influences of stride dynamics on the new product. Again, he seems to think our experience is an outlier rather than mainstream. My response was that time will tell.

Most importantly, he made me feel that he cares about the quality of his product line. It makes me feel more confident that while I may not have the right product for me with the Zero Aeros, I certainly am with the right company with Speedplay.

225lbs and you expect those little rubber peaces of rubber designed for a 65kg neopro work well for you? mmmmmmmm....
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

I just saw the wiggle price for the walkable cleats; 81€. Regular cleats are 40-45€. A look or shimano cleats cost around 11€... These guys at speedplay are out of their minds... Get a Keep On Kovers set and screw those people at speedplay, just getting money for sponsoring teams and riders and lawyers and advertising.
Happy Trails !!!

superdx

by superdx

Liggero wrote:
scoby13md wrote:I had my phone meeting with Richard Bryne from Speedplay today. Let me say that it was what I had expected initially when I spoke with Bill and Yuzo. Richard is an excellent listener. And, as a cofounder of Speedplay, he understands the importance of good communication and customer service. He said that these cleat covers and cleats in the new aero combination are in use by thousands of riders, pro, recreational and enthusiast. He believes that our observations may be an outlier from the mainstream. I think time will tell on that issue. However, better for me, he stated that the older cleat and coffee shop covers are going to remain in the product line. I find that reassuring. My first correspondence with Speedplay was solely to ask for a replacement of the new stuff with the equivalent value in the older type cleat.

225lbs and you expect those little rubber peaces of rubber designed for a 65kg neopro work well for you? mmmmmmmm....

That was uncalled for. I'm 156 lb., so should it work for me? My aero covers are in even worse shape than scoby13md. Maybe the heavier you are the better they work?

ms6073

by ms6073

scoby13md wrote:He said that these cleat covers and cleats in the new aero combination are in use by thousands of riders, pro, recreational and enthusiast.

That seems a bit of an exaggeration considering that in the US, the aero replacement cleats only became available in the last 45-days so kind of a stretch that 'thousands' of cyclists are already using them! :roll:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Liggero

by Liggero

You guys have to up your game in these things. If you have the chance of talking with Richar byrne, you should say something like this "Look Richard, your pedals are awesome, but these new cleats are a piece of shit in terms on durability, as you are extremely aware about it, so please cut your bullshit and give me back my money, as you perfectly know this first version of the walkable cleats, at least the yellow ones, are big crap. Again, give me back my money or i will give as much publicity to this in social media as possible. And cut your *f##k* excuses cause it is just making this issue even worse... "
Happy Trails !!!

LeviR

by LeviR

I have positive experience with my Speedplay zero walkable cleats. I have been using them for awhile now (since March 2015) with a speedplay compatible sidi shoes. I minimally walk on them. So far as so good.

Since the aero cleats are slightly lower than the old zero cleats, I had to lower my saddle a few mm just as a precaution.

So far so good.

I even used it with my speedplay zero pave Ti.

kim

by kim

thanks good review

superdx

by superdx

I installed a 2nd (and final) pair of aero cleats on my shoes, giving them one last go with the full expectation that the cover will eventually deform and fall off like the first pair. I've used a liberal amount of Shoe-Goo between the cover and the cleat. First ride tonight didn't fall off at all, no deforming either. Will see how it goes over the next 2-3 weeks. If Shoe-Goo does work, that's a good thing. I enjoy walking in the aero cleats much more than the Keepon Kovers, a lot less slippery!

Hoffy

by Hoffy

Are the one sided aero pedals available yet? I cant seem to find them anywhere

nickf

by nickf

I have around 1k miles on my walkable cleats without ever losing a cover. I noticed my right cover was out of place in one corner but was able to shift it back and has been fine. Customer also made the switch and no problems so far. Do you mis clip? You have proper shims under the base plate so it is level and flat on the shoe?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com