Switching from Force to Force 22 fd

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

identiti66

by identiti66

I'm currently running a 10-sp Force FD and it works fine but rattles (due to chainline) when on big (front ring) to small (rear ring) and small to large.. I'm led to believe this is 'fixable' but I can't fathom out how.

So I'm thinking of changing to a Force 22 with YAW but have some questions (inevitably)

Would the change be worth it?

Are these as much of a pita to set up as some threads would indicate?

Could I solve the 'problem' with the current mech saving me some cash and hassle?

It's a minor investment, crc have the Force 22 FD for £33 but a penny saved and all that..

TIA my WW peers 8)

stormur

by stormur

YES, No , No.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

I hope you get your shifting sorted but did you really need to start two threads for this? :noidea:

Marin

by Marin

Big/small and small/big should -never- make noise, even on a 30 year old setup. Cross-chained gears can, but they are easy to avoid.
If you don't know how to fix this, swapping out the FD will only make things worse!

Did you search for and follow the setup instructions for your current derailleur? The 2 limiter screws are probably what you need to check.

identiti66

by identiti66

wingguy wrote:I hope you get your shifting sorted but did you really need to start two threads for this? :noidea:

I thought that this morning. But they aren't the same. Similar but still..

Thanks for your input.

identiti66

by identiti66

Marin wrote:Big/small and small/big should -never- make noise, even on a 30 year old setup. Cross-chained gears can, but they are easy to avoid.
If you don't know how to fix this, swapping out the FD will only make things worse!

Did you search for and follow the setup instructions for your current derailleur? The 2 limiter screws are probably what you need to check.

This isn't the experience I'm reading around the internet. There's plenty of info about large front/small rear (and vice versa) rattling the FD cage.
How can it possibly make things worse? The YAW front mechs, from my limited understanding, are designed for exactly this.

And how would adjusting the limit screws going to fix it? The gears shift exactly as SRAM intended, this wouldn't be the case if the screws were out of whack would it?

Bacchus

by Bacchus

Nope!
Yaw reduces chain rub and trim when chain is diagonal, like large/large or small/small. When you are on large/small or small/large, the chain can't be more straight, ergo no need for Yaw. Your problem seems to arise to stop screws not properly adjusted.

nickl

by nickl

identiti66 wrote:
Marin wrote:Big/small and small/big should -never- make noise, even on a 30 year old setup. Cross-chained gears can, but they are easy to avoid.

This isn't the experience I'm reading around the internet. There's plenty of info about large front/small rear (and vice versa) rattling the FD cage.
How can it possibly make things worse? The YAW front mechs, from my limited understanding, are designed for exactly this.

And how would adjusting the limit screws going to fix it? The gears shift exactly as SRAM intended, this wouldn't be the case if the screws were out of whack would it?

Your inner and outer limit screws are setup with too tight tolerances - the derailleur can't move fat enough inboard (when in the small chainring) or outboard (when in the large) to stop the chain rubbing.

Read http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcent ... leurs.html, especially the part about the inner and outer limit screws.

Yaw derailleurs are designed to fix the rub when riding in large/large and small/small with a diagonal (ie, "Yaw"ed) chain.

identiti66

by identiti66

Apologies, I got my rings mixed up... I meant large/large, small/small... everything is fine and dandy otherwise... sorry, my head sometimes messes with stuff and gets it cock-eyed.

Bacchus

by Bacchus

All right. If you only have chain rattle when you are on large front and the smallest rear or small front and largest rear, there is no problem, that combination should not be used.

Svetty

by Svetty

Bacchus wrote:All right. If you only have chain rattle when you are on large front and the smallest rear or small front and largest rear, there is no problem, that combination should not be used.

This is right BUT a Yaw front mech can be set-up to avoid chain rub on most frames. Best be sure though that the rub point when in small/small is on the outer plate of the mech cage and not on the inner surface of the big ring - this is harder to eliminate.

identiti66

by identiti66

Thanks for all the help chaps.. I know I had 2 similar threads going but they were to deal with separate (in my mind) questions.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a Force 22 FD and try to get it sorted this week, in readiness for my (riding) season starting now that the weather's getting warmer (chilly and arthritis do not go hand in hand, unfortunately).

aaric

by aaric

Depending on your chain stay length and Chainline, you can get stuck with a rattle in the small / small that won't go away: The chain could be rubbing the shirt ramps on the big ring, rather than the derailleur: I've seem this on smaller frames with compact cranksets not all that uncommonly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

identiti66

by identiti66

Right.. new fd has landed and it's not a job I'm looking forward to.

It came with an inline cable adjuster, is this an absolute necessity??

If it is, where is the best place to put it?? I don't really want to go cutting my cables. I've just fitted them and can't buy inners/outers separately (Jagwire Racer I think they are)..