Campy SR or Shimano DA 7900

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PIPO

by PIPO

Ok so I have two groupsets, a like new DA 7900 (under 700 miles) and a high mileage Super Record I can get to great conditions with $200 or less. At this very moment I have 2 bikes, a Dogma/Record and my daily beater a VeloeVie 300/Sram Red. I'm in the middle of building a new bike to replace the crashed Jamis and also selling the VV300. I really like both groupsets. The downside of keeping the SR would replacing/selling my like new under 100 miles DA C24 wheelset and spending a little cash to rebuild the gruppo. The upside would be been able to interchange wheelsets between them...a big plus in my book. Your thoughts?
Jamis Xenith SL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

Campy SR. never liked the 7900.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bigfatty

by bigfatty

Campy SR

53x12

by 53x12

PIPO wrote:Ok so I have two groupsets, a like new DA 7900 (under 700 miles) and a high mileage Super Record I can get to great conditions with $200 or less. At this very moment I have 2 bikes, a Dogma/Record and my daily beater a VeloeVie 300/Sram Red. I'm in the middle of building a new bike to replace the crashed Jamis and also selling the VV300. I really like both groupsets. The downside of keeping the SR would replacing/selling my like new under 100 miles DA C24 wheelset and spending a little cash to rebuild the gruppo. The upside would be been able to interchange wheelsets between them...a big plus in my book. Your thoughts?

So keeping Dogma/Record and building a new bike with either the SR or the DA 7900? Do you know what frame you will be building up yet?

Since you have the Dogma/Record, I say keeping the SR is the straightforward and wise move. DA is nice, but 7900 wasn't the greatest. I know it stinks to sell a like new 7900 group as well as basically new DA C24 wheels, but it makes sense to be all Campy.

Another option is if you are willing to sell the VV + SR group + Record group (from Dogma) + DA 7900 and move to something like Shimano Di2 on your Dogma and Shimano whatever (could even keep the 7900) for your new bike build. Then you could keep and use your DA C24 wheels? Just another idea.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

PIPO

by PIPO

Not sure on the frame yet, but it is between a SuperSix Hi-Mod and a Jamis Xenith SL...I also got my eye on a Wilier Cento Uno. Bu that wouldn't make sense, I want to build another daily beater like my VV300.

I'd like to keep the Dogma as original as possible...so it matches the build sheet. Plus Dogma and Campy go together :-).
Jamis Xenith SL

53x12

by 53x12

Dogma can rock Shimano Di2.

Either case, keep the Campy and sell the Shimano stuff.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

jimborello

by jimborello

+1 Super Record!, they age much better

russianbear

by russianbear

Super record over 7900 anyday.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I'm a dyed in the wool Shimano DA fan, I have 7700, 7800 and 9000, but I would avoid 7900. The shifting is a step back from 7800 and had several shift issues.
9000 or SR are both great groups, but if given the choice of 7900 or SR, I would definitely opt for the SR
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

PIPO

by PIPO

Really? When I bought the Jamis w/ DA 7900 and compared it to my 7k miles 2011 Sram Red on my VV300, I'd have to say that it felt better...of course I'm talking about a brand new groupset to a high mileage one, not an apples to apples comparison.
The record 11 on the Dogma feels superior to both though.
Jamis Xenith SL

headwind816

by headwind816

I rode 7900 for many - 4 plus - years, and while I was underwhelmed by it, I had zero issues with it. I had it on a CAAD10, which has external routing and used Shimano's top of line (at that time) cables and housing). I used the same housing and cables the entire time too. Having come off 7800, I was surprised by the "feedback" Shimano incorporated into the rear shifting. With the 7800, I honestly could shift 3 gears and not even know it; that is, I would only know by looking or feeling it but zero feedback in my fingers. I did like the zero trim in the FD for racing; I cannot be bothered to properly trim during tense moments. In sum, I found 7900 to be a good group when evaluated independent of previous Shimano iterations.

I cannot speak much of Campagnolo as I am about to try it for the first time. I will say the ergonomic shifter feels amazing. Also, I like the idea of distinctly separate shifting mechanisms (compared to Shimano's system, which puts them side by side) when I need to where heavier gloves.

In the end, do what stirs your heart. Cycling is about the bike, which includes the bike leaning against the wall or in your workstand.

kenmical

by kenmical

I have a love hate relationship with Campy SR11 since day 1. Very temperamental lady that required many TLC like frequent tuning for it to shift smoothly. Used to run Shimano and it is faultless to the extend of boring. After many sleepless night on whether do I want to switch back, the constant image of nice carbon fiber as well as the weight of groupset kept me in the Campy camp.

PSM

by PSM

My 7900 still works perfect after 5 years.

PIPO

by PIPO

I ordered new parts to replaced the damaged/missing parts of the Campy groupset. I'm still unsure of which kit to keep though.
Jamis Xenith SL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com