Experience with the Velobuild frame VB-R-077?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikergrove

by bikergrove

I'm thinking of buying one of these for my Dad as a Christmas present and then leaving him to choose what to put on it in terms of groupset. It's either this or a FM066 which I think may be a tad too racy.

Which seller has the best reputation or are they all the same? TAN TAN / LTK Bikes / Velobuild etc..

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikergrove

by bikergrove

So what if anything is going to be the difference between sourcing one of these frames from Velobuild v Hongfu v Tan Tan v LT Bikes?

From the hundreds of pages i've read, Longtang are the manufacturer with the rest being resellers. Is that assumption correct?

I've received a quote for $550 + $85 from Lisa at Tan Tan but the same frame can be bought for $469 on Velobuild.

What gives?

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

Lisa wants a new iPhone....

kidrob

by kidrob

bikergrove wrote:So what if anything is going to be the difference between sourcing one of these frames from Velobuild v Hongfu v Tan Tan v LT Bikes?

From the hundreds of pages i've read, Longtang are the manufacturer with the rest being resellers. Is that assumption correct?

I've received a quote for $550 + $85 from Lisa at Tan Tan but the same frame can be bought for $469 on Velobuild.

What gives?

Hmm, ask them what is included (you want a seatpost, headset, spacer set, 2x extra rear hanger) and sometimes the design slightly varies - for example the cable entries at the front. Also I would advise you to get a BSA BB. Hongfu/Dengfu are usually the premium.

bikergrove

by bikergrove

definitely begoing for a BSA bottom bracket. Was quoted $589 for a 077 including custom paint, shipping, headset and seatpost. Works out around £450 which is my budget.

still trying to figure out how they're cheaper than other vendors and if the frames are any different in quality. From what I gather, Flybike HK is the main factory with the others being resellers.

Thoughts?

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

Tan Tan is cheaper because they are not a reseller per say they have a direct relationship with the manufacture who is Flybike I believe....

Tan Tan showed me pictures of their Ribble SL production line. They also offered me the FM008 which Hongfu claims is their new frame. My FM066 was stamped R01 in the headtube, and is the same frame as Dengfu Sells which is a small update on the FM066.... basically they are from the same place.

Hongfu/Dengfu and resellers who charge a premium because they have smaller margins.

I would suggest tan tan, they are great to deal with on Skype, let me ask stupid questions and respond quick in good english, and have best prices.

bikergrove

by bikergrove

I ended up going with Velobuild. Response was almost instant and english was fine. Was £460 in total which was £100 cheaper than Tantan. This included shipping and custom frameset paint. Chris told me the frames all come from Flybike.

I'm eyeing up one of the aero framesets from velobuild. Will wait to see what the quality is like but for $300 - $330 seems a good deal, compared to say the Hongfu Avenger R8 / FM169 which is double the price.

bikergrove

by bikergrove

Received bike from Velobuild. No complaints here. The process was really easy and i'm satisfied with the paint finish ( although not enamoured). Fork is a wee bit flexy ( like all chinese bikes) but the rear triangle is surprisingly stiff. Won't be able to build it up until next year as it's a gift to my Dad but i'm happy with it and would order from Velobuild again.

Will do a full write up after xmas.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

So in the end I did pull the trigger and I've had my LTK118 purchased from VeloBuild for a little over a month now. Weather is sucky so I've only been able to put a litte over 400km on it. Size 54, matt black paint.

So far I'm LOVING it. Built it up with Red22, Campy Bora One 35s and lightish kit all around. With the boras it's coming in at 6.1, and with the lighter 24mm climbing tubies its under 5.9kg.

Great handling, carbon comfort compared to my previous CAAD9 has been an eye-opener while feeling stiffer when putting the power down, too. The bike just feels great overall even though I've taken the chance to make my position slightly more aggressive.

I would definately recommend buying one of these. Or at least I will if it holds up for a couple of seasons, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. Its well finished, I think it looks great and most importantly, its pretty light and it rides awesome.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Looks like Velobuild now has an Etap version as well, or you could even use a White Industries ENO hub to make a ridiculously light single speed.

http://www.velobuildmall.com/vb-r-077-u ... p0106.html

BiscuitHarrington

by BiscuitHarrington

Kaboom wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm
So in the end I did pull the trigger and I've had my LTK118 purchased from VeloBuild for a little over a month now. Weather is sucky so I've only been able to put a litte over 400km on it. Size 54, matt black paint.

So far I'm LOVING it. Built it up with Red22, Campy Bora One 35s and lightish kit all around. With the boras it's coming in at 6.1, and with the lighter 24mm climbing tubies its under 5.9kg.

Great handling, carbon comfort compared to my previous CAAD9 has been an eye-opener while feeling stiffer when putting the power down, too. The bike just feels great overall even though I've taken the chance to make my position slightly more aggressive.

I would definately recommend buying one of these. Or at least I will if it holds up for a couple of seasons, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. Its well finished, I think it looks great and most importantly, its pretty light and it rides awesome.
The reviews of the Ribble SL seem to agree that it rides very harshly, would you disagree with that assessment? Your bike looks really cool! :D

Kaboom

by Kaboom

BiscuitHarrington wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:29 pm

The reviews of the Ribble SL seem to agree that it rides very harshly, would you disagree with that assessment? Your bike looks really cool! :D
Compared to the aluminum CAAD9 I was coming from, I don't think it rides harshly at all. It doesn't feel like it's filtering out all of the road buzz, either, but I don't find it uncomfortable by any means.

Thanks btw! I'm rather pleased with the way it turned out!

P90Puma

by P90Puma

I just ordered one of these, R9150 + EEBrakes + ??? crankset is the plan for the build.

What is everyone using for an expander plug?

Kaboom

by Kaboom

P90Puma wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm
I just ordered one of these, R9150 + EEBrakes + ??? crankset is the plan for the build.

If yours is delivered with the same stuff that mine was, you're getting a 50g anchor of a plug.

I pilfered the significantly lighter FSA one I was using on my previous bike and used the anchor one one on that bike. The FSA isn't particularly light either, so I'm currently searching for a legit weight-weenie alternative that doesn't break the bank.

P90Puma

by P90Puma

Kaboom wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:08 pm
P90Puma wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 pm

If yours is delivered with the same stuff that mine was, you're getting a 50g anchor of a plug.

I pilfered the significantly lighter FSA one I was using on my previous bike and used the anchor one one on that bike. The FSA isn't particularly light either, so I'm currently searching for a legit weight-weenie alternative that doesn't break the bank.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/carbon-ti-x-plug-expander/ ??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com