Campagnolo Ultra Torque Removal Help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dowks

by Dowks

Thanks for the reference points and info. I have the c clip on all my bikes apart from one which has a P2M power meter. The spider plus the size of BB area means I just could not get it on and if I had got it on no idea how I would get it off!

I will watch out for issues but so far works just the same as the other cranksets with the clip installed

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The clip needs to be seated before the NDS half of the crank is installed.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimW

by TimW

random101 wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:If the clip on the DS is not there then they were not correctly installed. I would double check.

On my P2M I can't fit the safety clip, if I do it grabs the crank (not allowing it to spin), the wave washer is installed, correct torque is applied not sure what it can be

Fits just fine on my Campagnolo P2M, Colnago C59 frame. Edit: 2015 version of cranks.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

random101 wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:If the clip on the DS is not there then they were not correctly installed. I would double check.

On my P2M I can't fit the safety clip, if I do it grabs the crank (not allowing it to spin), the wave washer is installed, correct torque is applied not sure what it can be

The safety clip for power meters has a lower profile that the normal Campag one.

Irish

by Irish

The c-clips function is to stop the bearing (and therefore the crank) moving from side to side and causing phantom shifting of the front chainrings (nasty if it happens at any speed when out of the saddle!!!!

outnumbered

by outnumbered

Our household has two bike with UT cranks. The clip is installed as recommended on one bike, but I took it out on my wife's bike, because on two different occasions it had somehow ripped up the seal on the bearing, which then had to be replaced. It seems to work fine without it.

If the function of the clip is really to stop the drive side bearing from moving about, then the clip does seem a bit under-engineered for that purpose. If the whole system has enough slack in it to allow movement of the bearing without the clip in place, then those two tiny prongs don't really seem like they'd be enough to resist all the movement.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It was mentioned earlier that the clip will not prevent all the movement, just kept to <.25mm. Due to BB specs, the BB distance may be slightly more than others and therefore, even with the clip removed, may be less than .25mm of play. If that is the case, you probably would not need the clip anyway.

random101

by random101

I have no clip and I have no movement... I may try file down the clip to fit the P2M

drhex

by drhex

Hi,
Clip is indeed there to prevent sideways movement, especially on undersize BB shells. Needed to keep the chainrings in the same place laterally. Quite obvious if you look at how the whole thing is constructed, the NDS bearing is a loose bearing which can move on crank and in the cup. You're lucky if you get away without the clip.
On P2M blocking: you have the lockring securing the PM to the crankarm on the wrong way round. The wide bit needs to go to the outside, otherwise the clip will lock in the grooves on the ring. Don't ask me how I know :wink: - pretty cross with P2M that they don't explain that in the manual. Also, getting the bearing off with the lock ring the wrong way round is a bear - the PT puller doesn't fit without grinding even if it is on right, stupid design imho. You have to lever it off with a screwdriver, count on needing a new bearing (I did). Works just fine with the lockring on the right way round.
Florian

Miller76

by Miller76

This thread has been helpful, but where can I buy the wavy washer and clip?

I recently purchased a frame that came with Ultra Torque cups - subsequently bought Record Ultra Torque cranks - I'm missing the wavy washer and the C-clip - any idea where I can buy these? thanks

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Campagnolo dealer, Amazon, or Ebay.

-EBruner

Miller

by Miller

They come with the bearing cups. Anyone who's been using Campag for a while might have an old C-clip and wavy washer lying around.

I acquired a P2M Campagnolo chainset. It, and I think the Campag SRM also, have a hole in the driveside crankarm about 1cm away from the crank centre: I thought this was to allow access for unclipping the C-clip. I didn't fancy the fiddly nature of this and didn't install the C-clip. No issues, for the record.

Attermann

by Attermann

i got some extra lying around, i can check what it will cost to ship it too you if you just pay the shipping.

fogman

by fogman

Has Power2Max resolved this C-clip/lock ring issue with the NG model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

wilwil

by wilwil

drhex wrote:Hi,
Clip is indeed there to prevent sideways movement, especially on undersize BB shells. Needed to keep the chainrings in the same place laterally. Quite obvious if you look at how the whole thing is constructed, the NDS bearing is a loose bearing which can move on crank and in the cup. You're lucky if you get away without the clip.
On P2M blocking: you have the lockring securing the PM to the crankarm on the wrong way round. The wide bit needs to go to the outside, otherwise the clip will lock in the grooves on the ring. Don't ask me how I know :wink: - pretty cross with P2M that they don't explain that in the manual. Also, getting the bearing off with the lock ring the wrong way round is a bear - the PT puller doesn't fit without grinding even if it is on right, stupid design imho. You have to lever it off with a screwdriver, count on needing a new bearing (I did). Works just fine with the lockring on the right way round.
Florian

Can the NDS bearing be actually pushed along the axle if the C clip isn't installed?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com