Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod vs Supersix Evo NANO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

roadiesean

by roadiesean

Hi all

I'm pondering a move from my Gen 1 Supersix (Last of the Handbuilt in the USA frames) which I love, its light, comfy, fast and climbs like nothing I've ever ridden. And I'm thinking of a Hi Mod or a Nano, both 2014 models. The thought of a 650gram frameset is exciting, but I'm not a true weightweenie, I'm 85kg although I "ride lighter" than that. I ride about 10,000 miles a year, a lot of training and sportives as well as Guiding through the Alps and Pyranees, so I know what I like and don't like. I've just sold my Vamoots RSL and am in the process of moving on my IF Ti Crown Jewel because to be honest, I prefer the Supersix and Cannondale geometry is amazing.

My question is this, is the Nano too noodly ? I am a, lets be honest, big strong guy and I'm built like a sprinter and thats how I ride, I love the way my SS puts the effort straight to ground, you never feel like its going anywhere else. I like that.

Anyone ridden all of these bikes ? Am I made to even think of chopping my Gen 1 SS in for a new made in Taiwan frameset (I've never owned one yet, so have a number of the usual prejudices) the Nano fills me with joy with its stealthy looks and jetfighter technology, but I want something that rides BRILLIANTLY, tracks well, climbs well and can be ragged stupid round a Crit circuit when the needs are called for !

Thoughts ? :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

I don't think there's really a difference between an Evo Hi-Mod and an Evo Nano. I believe they weigh the frames off the production line and then cherry pick the lightest ones to be Nanos, which then have a lighter paint finish than the various Hi-Mods.

I had a Supersix a few years ago and I've just moved from a Zero.7 to an Evo. The Evo maybe isn't quite as rock solid around the BB than the Zero.7 which simply has a wider shell and much bigger chainstays but it's more than enough to sprint with. The headtube stiffness is very good though, and it's ridiculously smooth and planted in corners, really easy to adjust your line mid corner as well.

KB

by KB

I have both the old supersix (2007 vintage I think and approx 1150g) and the Evo (813g); both sans forks.

I actually prefer the older heavier frame TBH. It just feels more planted and less skittish. But if I was young and racing I think I'd go for the Evo.

taekon

by taekon

I think Evo hi-mod is better!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------
Canyon ultimate CF SL 9.0

nickf

by nickf

My 2015 54cm evo HM with bb and hanger came in at 868g with the heavy white and green paint job. Nano is a few grams lighter. They claim different carbon is used. Meh. The EVO HM is my first carbon road bike. Was on a CAAD9 for around 5 years and also steel for gravel rides. I have to admit the EVO rides fantastic. I was always in the anti carbon bike camp but im now a believer. The bike is a rocket, puts down all the power i put to the pedals. The ride i think is similar in some was to steel the way it dampens rough roads, but unlike steel its super responsive really putting the power down. Mine is just below 5.8kg with pedals and garmin edge touring mounted.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I have a 2015 Standard EVO and love it.
I bought the 105 version for $2K stripped it down and put Campy Chorus 11 speed on it.
Final weight about 15.5 lbs.
Didn't see a need to pay $3,500 for just a Hi-Mod frameset.
Did that with a Tarmac S-Works SL3 and like the EVO much better, sold the Tarmac.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBRE

by CBRE

Just got the 2016 Evo HM DA1, I also have a 2013 HM Evo w/Sram Red, both bikes weigh exactly the same as equipped 13.0 with pedals, bottle cages ect. Can't knock either, great bikes, LOVE the color of the 2016. I would say the new one climbs a hair better and is a bit smoother.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s