Tubular Tyres - a couple of basic things I need to ask

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I seem to find Tubs puncture in a very different way to clinchers.

I moved to tubs after a couple of year riding where 1/2 my flats were pinch flats (generally caused by poor group ettiquette) and don't plan on going back any time soon.

3 flats over the last 2 years. One in a very wet winter crit (my fault, I was taking a better but dirtier line than most other riders and paid the price), tyre (Vittoria Pave) wasn't ridable after 3 laps and was basically a write off.

The other two (another Pave and a Vittoria SR) have been very slow flats from riding in bad weather and I've just ridden them home. They were slow enough that the tyre was rideable for 3-4 hours at a time (losing about 30 psi). I gave up on stans, just found I ended up with a green stripe down the seat tube as soon as I climbed on the bike.

I carry a pre-glued spare velcroed to my seat rails. Only needed it after the crit.

davidalone

by davidalone

one thing I've seen people do is bring a folded track tubular as a spare. it's small, thin, and can fit under the seat if you fold it well. not the most robust spare, but it will get you home if CO2 doesn't work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

kgt wrote:I use Continental sprinter gatorskins 25mm and although I don't like the way they feel I really respect their durability.

I've been using the same tires for the past couple years. The durability is real good. I have several cuts on the tires and no flats. I did 50km ride on the crap and debris filled streets of downtown LA and not a single puncture.

I recently switched the rear out for a Vittoria Corsa Elite. They do ride a bit better...but not sure about the durability.

I use about 29ml of Stan's in my tires. I find that for whatever reason...they seem to last longer in my road tires than my mountain bike tires. Pit Stop is hit or miss for me also...but I still carry a can with me.

I did have to get picked up once. Tire was cut almost all the way across and the Pit Stop just shot out the tire.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

For many years I have been using the Vittoria Rally and I found them to become less and less puncture resistant as time went on. I decided to try something different in the Schwalbe Montello and though it was reasonably puncture resistant there rolling resistance seemed rather high. I have been running the Vittoria Elite and found them to be good for puncture resistance and there rolling resistance was also very good.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TALEO

by TALEO

don't use anything in the tires until you flat, otherwise over time you will just b adding weight, i love vittoria and carry pit stop

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Tufo extreme comes in small bottles
Much better than pitstop. But you need a pump and valve tool. Contador posted a pic on fb showing training ride with tub patched with Superglue and little patch on outside of his tub. Great way to return home. Run heavy conti sprinter on rear and wide veloflex arenberg on front. Best of both worlds.

verbs4us

by verbs4us

One point that I haven't seen raised yet: With tubulars, get in the habit of running a gloved palm over the tread surface every few miles, esp if you ride roads with a lot of junk. I suspect this loosens sharps before they work through the tread. I still do it with clinchers, since 40-year-old habits are hard to break. I ride in Westchester county, NY, with the highest taxes in the nation and the worst roads to prove it. I think the glass recycling program involves smashing all beer bottles on the shoulder. Have had good luck with Conti GP 4000, which seem to become more puncture resistant as they age, and now with Vittoria pave clinchers.