[Vote] Bora Ultra vs. Mavic CCU

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jumbo505

by jumbo505

sawyer wrote:
Roel W wrote:Mavic looks better but Bora is better in terms of performance (smoother cup/cone bearings vs cartridge bearings and the body runs on bearings (Bora) instead of a nylon bushing (Mavic)).
Remember Shimano has swapped the cartridge bearings for cup/cone bearings on their top range wheels a few years ago after advice of pro-team mechanics. Most of the high end wheels have cup/cone bearings as they run smoother.

I prefer cup and cone too, though almost all of it, perhaps all of it, is in the head

Look at CCU's track record in the pro peloton. One of the most successful wheels of all time - as is Bora for that matter

With Shimano you can't have Boras so I vote Spinergy

LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

singlespeedscott

by singlespeedscott

I don't think Shimano have ever used sealed cartridge bearings in any of there hubs or wheels but I'm willing to be educated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Mavic CCU are relatively "old" by wheel standards. Would not be surprised if updated version was around the corner. The bike radar link seems to hint at this as well.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

jumbo505

by jumbo505

eric01 wrote:Mavic CCU are relatively "old" by wheel standards. Would not be surprised if updated version was around the corner. The bike radar link seems to hint at this as well.

when does wheel manufacturers release their new wheels? late fall? winter? or early spring next year?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jumbo505 wrote:
eric01 wrote:Mavic CCU are relatively "old" by wheel standards. Would not be surprised if updated version was around the corner. The bike radar link seems to hint at this as well.

when does wheel manufacturers release their new wheels? late fall? winter? or early spring next year?

Don't worry, i wrote Mavic Mp3 and asked a few thing of CCU 2014. They sent my mail to Mavic direct and they told me, CCU is very popular by the team riders, there is no plan on a new CCU or revised version. This is the answer i got.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jumbo505

by jumbo505

wheelsONfire wrote:
jumbo505 wrote:

Don't worry, i wrote Mavic Mp3 and asked a few thing of CCU 2014. They sent my mail to Mavic direct and they told me, CCU is very popular by the team riders, there is no plan on a new CCU or revised version. This is the answer i got.

Current version is CCU 2015. When did you ask this? After Alexander Kristoff using wide rim CCU on the front wheel on RVV? Then wide rim CCU spotted on RVV is just a prototype they will never release to the consumer market?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jumbo505 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
jumbo505 wrote:

Current version is CCU 2015. When did you ask this? After Alexander Kristoff using wide rim CCU on the front wheel on RVV? Then wide rim CCU spotted on RVV is just a prototype they will never release to the consumer market?

The very end of 2014.
Looked at that which you mension of the front rim. A snub nosed front of rim. It is not the tire bead and brake track end of the rim, it's the spoke end.
My mail was a bit long and quite alot of questions. Mavic wrote back to the UK department of Mp3 and they answered me as they told me my questions were to difficult to answer.
At this mail, the answers were that no update was to expect as the team riders used this wheelset with wider tires and it was very popular.
I also asked about the rim build up and more closesly of rims width and height. The rim is 12K carbon, if they'd changed that layup, the whole wheelset could not just be revised.
It was coming down to a whole new wheelset. Something along those lines. 2014 and 2015 consumer version is same. The latest update is from 2014, check Mavic about the brake track treatment for better heat transfer and braking. But sure, no-one knows what is happening at Mavics. I just shared my answer i did get.
I just looked at my own wheelset, it is shaped differently at the nose section.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

jumbo505

by jumbo505

wheelsONfire// okay.. if that's the time.. it should be a solid answer. I asked them myself too via e-mail and on their Facebook page. So if I get answers otherwise, I will leave the info here. I hope they indeed do not release new one anytime soon.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jumbo505 wrote:wheelsONfire// okay.. if that's the time.. it should be a solid answer. I asked them myself too via e-mail and on their Facebook page. So if I get answers otherwise, I will leave the info here. I hope they indeed do not release new one anytime soon.

Hey Jumbo505, sure that is a good idea. Please share what they say.
As mentioned, my front wheel rim shape is not as "blunt" as the team edition. Team edt seems more bulky at the spoke end.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

jumbo505

by jumbo505

wheelsONfire wrote:
jumbo505 wrote:wheelsONfire// okay.. if that's the time.. it should be a solid answer. I asked them myself too via e-mail and on their Facebook page. So if I get answers otherwise, I will leave the info here. I hope they indeed do not release new one anytime soon.

Hey Jumbo505, sure that is a good idea. Please share what they say.
As mentioned, my front wheel rim shape is not as "blunt" as the team edition. Team edt seems more bulky at the spoke end.

Yes.. the blunt spoke end rim shape is what bikeradar.com has spotted on their article. I thought that Kristoff might have been testing the new version of CCU on Ronde van Vlaanderen. And the front wheel with blunt end is also made with 12K carbon layup, strongly suggesting that it sure is a CCU.
Last edited by jumbo505 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zulu695

by zulu695

there is some information on the possible new CCU here.... but no official word on them

http://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post/1450/nouvelles-mavic-cosmic-carbone-ultimate

jumbo505

by jumbo505

zulu695 wrote:there is some information on the possible new CCU here.... but no official word on them

http://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post/1450/nouvelles-mavic-cosmic-carbone-ultimate

thanx for the link!! a french source! so convincing. I'm reading an english translated version by google translate.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Well, perhaps it will be a new version for 2016? Nothing is impossible!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

PIPO

by PIPO

I like the Boras myself...but I'm biased because those are the wheels I want for my Dogma.
Jamis Xenith SL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jumbo505

by jumbo505

wheelsONfire wrote:Well, perhaps it will be a new version for 2016? Nothing is impossible!

Could you tell me what mavic e-mail address you got your answers from? in case they don't respond to me I might try asking to that address. Was it mavic UK? or mavic FR? I sent to contact@mavic.com and no response yet.