[Vote] Bora Ultra vs. Mavic CCU

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KTCY

by KTCY

:beerchug: Bora get my vote. Dark label please.

Mavic just not my cup of teas. personal preference i guess.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3delis

by 3delis

+1 on Bora Dark Label

just mounted a set of Ultra 35s on my shimano drivetrain :unbelievable: - works great

coming off of Enve 3.4s for over 2 years

pdmtong

by pdmtong

Bora dark label all the way.

5DII

by 5DII

Why do the garmin riders CCU wheels have "special service course" decals (in a long yellow strip) but the ones available to the public dont? Would it be tacky to attach the decals to your CCUs?
Last edited by 5DII on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IchDien

by IchDien

The SSC ones are chosen by Mavic specially for there sponsored teams by weight etc.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

While I think campagnolo is no longer pioneering wheel technology (come on, new shamals NOT with wider rim?) , once they bring a wheel to market it's quality. vote for Bora.

jet520

by jet520

I would vote for Bora because it's more wide, more comfort and looks great!

From my iPhone Tapatalk

coloclimber

by coloclimber

I have to say I have been on CCUs for a long time now and keep getting disappointed by the freehub design. It is dry in CO and lots of descents but I need to frequently lube the pawls and there is still play even though I have changed 2x the plastic bushing to slightly larger diameter ones off ebay. Its just not as robust as Campagnolo hubs and freehubs. Is it worth the extra wrenching and effort for the ride? Maybe for me.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Try the new Boras. I am constantly doing the same maintenance on a friends Mavics. I hate their hubs, to put it mildly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

djm

by djm

5DII wrote:Why do the garmin riders CCU wheels have "special service course" decals (in a long yellow strip) but the ones available to the public dont? Would it be tacky to attach the decals to your CCUs?

I got a couple of sheets of those stickers with my CCUs I believe, might have been after warranty replacement (someone at Canyon might have played around with the spokes/nipples on the rear wheel...).

Also I've been riding my CCUs on Gran Canaria in the past days and I'm very impressed with how the Swissstop Black Prince pads are working. These are not approved by Mavic, but my wheels are out of warranty anyway (but insured against failure/damage, regardless of warranty..).

The pads do wear somewhat quicker than the Yellow Kings do, but they don't leave that annoying yellow band around the rims, nor do they squeal and they are very nice to modulate. I would say braking is now very close to standard pads on an aluminium rim. I set them up with the prescribed 1 mm toe-in.

I'm no good descender, especially here on GC where descending with risk can easily cost you your life. There are many roads without guard rails and with a real possibility of a 100-200m (or more) free fall if you end up off the road. This leads to a lot of defensive descending, and with it, braking. However the wheels have been quite cool, and since I've been much "smarter" (harder, shorter bursts) in my braking than with alu rims, they've been cooler than my alu rims usually are down here.

I have never tried the Boras. But I can say I really, really like the feel of the CCUs. In the past years I've ridden on Zipp 808, 404, 303, Reynolds Strike SLG, noname chinese wheels, Hed Stinger Jet 6, Black Inc Black Fifty and others. I've bought two sets of CCUs... (crazy, but hey)

The freehub design is poor, and maybe even the hubs themselves, but cartridge bearing replacement is not that difficult if needed. It is an old design, but the feel of the wheels are great. The stiffness of the wheels has only been rivaled by the Black Inc wheels IMO. Set up with decent tires and correct tire pressure my 78 kg body feels no discomfort on CCUs.

For all I know the Boras are better. Best be if you were able to try them, head to head :)

nomarkp

by nomarkp

Mavic CCU!!

rngus231

by rngus231

bora for maintenance

fh8425

by fh8425

Bora Ultra ... mine with shimano ...

garlet

by garlet

i vote Bora 35 Bright.