building a cheaper travel bike - Ti

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

williamsf1

by williamsf1

Ok so I am after some advice regarding Ti bikes....

This is what I am looking for :

S & S coupler style bike for travelling with work ( maybe 20 times a year it would be needing to be built up / down and fly with )

It will be Di2 either ultegra 10 or 11 or DA if I can score the right bits or a mix of both

I have been looking at www.xacd.com.cn and www.Ti-bike.com and Titan but would really like to hear from someone first hand that has been down this path?

Ideally I'd like a clean looking bike ( think like a BAUM http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/06/bikes ... -baumpton/ but less fear about travel damage!!! )

I seriously would freak out travelling with something so nice, so while it needs to be amazing to ride, it just doesnt need to have the bling paint, or any paint!!

I would match it all with enve fork and cockpit etc and probably enve 3.4 bomb proof wheels....

show me what you have got, and who I should order from ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Nothing constructive to put in, but your planned build doesn't seem to fall in line of the "cheaper" realm.

Anyway, I'm interested in doing something like this too. Guess I'll see what other members can chime in.

williamsf1

by williamsf1

ok cheaper is a relative term - 10k for a frame for a BAUM FESTKA FIREFLY etc and at least 12 month waiting list to have the honour of giving them cash..... I want it to ride similar without the wank factor....

so if someone can help me with not falling for stupid school boy errors in building a custom frame up for say $1500 I think that is on the cheaper side, and I won't stress too much about checking it in everytime I go to work....

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Have you looked at a Ritchey Breakaway Ti?

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Ritchey has break-away road frames in Ti/Carbon, Steel and now Full Carbon. None of them are Di2 ready, though.

I agree that a Di2 / Enve build is not exactly "cheap"...

edit: HillRPete was faster than me...

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

My advice would be to go mechanical for a travel bike. If and when things go wrong when travelling, parts and adjustments are easier to source. You'll save weight and expense. With mechanical you can install cable breakers exactly where you need them and building and breaking down the bike is a breeze.

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I agree with mech for traveling. Maybe when wireless shifting comes to market, that might make sense because less cables but till then I think its nice that you can get parts and fix stuff no matter where you are.

Master-Ti

by Master-Ti

I was in your situation and built up a Ritchey Break-Away Titanium Cross using Campagnolo Chorus mechanical. When I travel, it wears Vittoria Open Corsa 25mm tires. When I'm at home, it wears cross tires, as I use my #1 road bike instead.

Benefits:
1. You get to ride your own bike and geometry.
2. No paint to chip.
3. Easy to assemble and disassemble, about 30 minutes each time.
4. Only pay extra fee for second piece of checked luggage.
5. With 25mm Vittoria Open Corsa, it looks like and rides like a normal, but relaxed handling road bike.
6. It gets use as a cross bike when I'm at home, rather than collecting dust waiting for the next trip.
7. Plenty stiff, though I'm not the best judge, being 150-155 lbs.
8. The case is surprisingly rugged, easy to pull with its handle and wheels, and so far the bike has not been damaged by the airline gorillas.
9. There is enough room in the case to bring home the smelly cycling clothes and shoes so they don't share the same luggage as work clothes.

Disadvantages:
1. No paint = looks boring, but hopefully this makes it less enticing to steal!
2. I found cantis to give poor braking compared to usual calipers, but this improved with TRP's.
3. Steep learning curve on packing the bike. The first few times were a lot longer than 30 minutes!

I purchased on-line from Bike Doctor in Indiana. Great shop and transaction!

Good luck with your decision!

AndreLM

by AndreLM

@Master-Ti

I considered myself a Ritchey cross-Ti a few months ago, and may consider it again in the future. One solution to improve braking would be using TRP mini v-brakes. You could probably fit some slim (33mm) cross tires, but not massive 45mm ones. Of course, they would not be so fun on muddy cross races.

Is this what you are using? I would like to hear your thoughts on how they compare to standard road calipers...

williamsf1

by williamsf1

yeah looked at the Ritchey - everything custom is looking around the $1300

Di2 is pretty easy for me, and this bike would only be for when I am away for work, so usually 2 days riding and not a deal breaker if I ever had problems with shifting.... I'd be in the same situation with mech. as I wouldnt have time to fix it before flying home regardless....

proper travel - I'd take a normal bike.... I think! well at this stage that would be the case maybe I will like Ti

so does anyone have any experience with XACD, Titan Product, Walty ?

Master-Ti

by Master-Ti

AndreLM wrote:@Master-Ti

I considered myself a Ritchey cross-Ti a few months ago, and may consider it again in the future. One solution to improve braking would be using TRP mini v-brakes. You could probably fit some slim (33mm) cross tires, but not massive 45mm ones. Of course, they would not be so fun on muddy cross races.

Is this what you are using? I would like to hear your thoughts on how they compare to standard road calipers...

Great minds think alike! Indeed I've been using 33mm cross tires.

Yes I did switch from cantis to TRP CX8.4 mini V-brakes. The length on these allegedly have been optimized for Campagnolo Ergopower. I found the combination of Campy Chorus Ergopower and Avid cantis to be very poor, and led to a few scary situations in traffic when squeezing the brakes gradually reduced speed rather than providing a stop. It reminded me of the old but beautiful to look at Campy Delta brakes from the late 1980's.

After switching to TRP CX8.4, braking is now the complete opposite. Extremely fast braking, but poor modulation compared to Campy SR calipers. When squeezing the brakes, there is a very fine line between gradually slowing down and then suddenly stopping completely. When squeezing the brakes forcefully, it would be easy to be launched over the bars! You have to be careful not to squeeze too hard!

Hope that helps.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has this combination and found a way to improve the modulation of the brakes. Perhaps a different brake pad? I've been using the stock TRP with aluminum alloy rims.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Master-Ti: yup try different pads for a start. Some cheap Shimanos should give a good baseline.

Honestly I'm always a bit surprised when someone experiences bad braking with Cantis. I love them since the day I got my first Mtb like 25 years ago, and it actually stopped when you pulled the lever, unlike the cheap beat up '80s 10sp hand me down bikes. Maybe also try different straddle cable lengths?

Camilo

by Camilo

I'm not against traveling with a bike (I have a Pika case and travel with my bike every once in a while). But for any trip less than a week, to me, it 's just not worth the expense and hassle, if you're using a full size case. Cost of case + inevitable obscene luggage surcharge. (BTW Alaska Airlines only charges $50, which isn't that hard to swallow).

Maybe if one of my regular bikes was a Breakaway - like the poster above who had a Breakaway that fit the "cross bike" niche in his collection - I might do it. But just for traveling, considering the cost of buying the breakaway, and the hassle of breaking it down, schlepping an additonal piece of luggage, in rental cars, cabs, vans, etc., I don't know. Again, if, for instance, the Breakaway replaced one of my usual bikes -like the cross bike I have set up for commuting (hmmm... titanium!) - then I wouldn't consider the cost of the bike to be a factor, and the equation would change radically, especially the luggage expense, and reduced hassle of smaller luggage.

I usually rent bikes for between 1 and 5 or 6 days. I research ahead, call or email, and make sure they have a bike that will fit. I usually bring my own saddle and often bring a stem (I have extras of both so don't need to cannibalize). Both of those things are important for fit and easy to swap. In addition to the clothes and helmet. I usually bring MTB shoes and pedals for two reasons. First, when I'm traveling, I never know when I might have to walk and second, I have an extra pair of MTB pedals so I don't have to cannibalize for those either. Plus, I really don't care if I ride in road or good MTB shoes.

I've rented everything from pretty high end bikes to basic model Treks with Sora or Apex components. I've never been disappointed and have always enjoyed the bikes. Invariably they're well tuned and work perfectly, and I can call the shop if I get a flat! (Oh, but I also bring my own little saddle bag w/ repair stuff in it). The cheap stuff works fine for a couple of days, and I can get my fit very much dialed in with my own saddle and stem.

williamsf1

by williamsf1

yeah Camilo you are not getting it really - I fly the jet - and I'm looking for people's experiences with a bike like :

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/06/bikes ... -baumpton/

http://images.cyclingtips.com.au/wp-con ... 6/inHK.jpg

c50jim

by c50jim

I've had some sort of travel bike since 1999. I've been traveling a fair amount since 1995 and thought it would be easier to avoid the problems of airline extra charges for oversize bags and the problem of getting taxis with enough room to take a bike bag. Three years ago, my wife also decided she was tired of hoping for a good rental bike and bought a Seven. So, my comments are based on many years' experience with several bikes. I've had a Bike Friday, an Independent Fabrications steel S&S, and now a Moots S&S and my wife has a Seven S&S.

- Go for unpainted ti. My Moots is easy to pack without worrying about paint, even though I still use the frame wrap. My wife paid extra for a nicely painted Seven and it was scratched the first trip.

- Consider the Ritchey. I've talked with several people who love them, either road or cross. Cheaper than several S&S brands and easy to pack from all accounts I've heard.

- I had the 12" silver case with my IF. My wife has the 10" black case and I now have the 10" silver. I was never charged oversize for the 12" even though it is technically oversize and it was a lot easier to pack the bike. Getting the Moots into the 10" case is a struggle, even though I've done it four or five times since I bought the bike last summer. I'm considering buying a new 12" case (I've also offered to trade with the buyer of my IF). My wife has less packing problems because she uses flat bars and doesn't have to deal with the width of bars (and her cables are fully detachable so she can stick the bars anywhere).

- I'd avoid carbon wheels. I never had a problem with wheels in the 12" case but the wheels for my Moots are a mess with scratches all over the rims and they needed to be trued on at least one trip. Carbon might have broken.

- While I understand that Di2 is great, I'd agree with those who recommend mechanical. For example, how do you split the rear derailleur cable? Is electronic really necessary for an occasional bike? If you do go Di2, just go with Ultegra since you probably won't be riding enough to justify the extra cost of Dura Ace. I'm a Record guy but my Moots is happy with Chorus.

- We've gone to coupled stems on our most recent bikes. It means you don't have to worry about getting the right headset tightness when you reassemble the bike. Just reef that coupling tight. They're not cheap but they do save time.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the bikes you're considering. However, I'd agree that a coupled bike is great for frequent travel and ti seems to be a good compromise since it's a bit lighter than steel and less fragile than carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com