Trek Emonda ALR (aluminium version)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TMz

by TMz

LaundryHamper wrote:
bigfatty wrote:
LaundryHamper wrote:"Grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't"

huh?

Smoothed welds look great, but you can't actually tell that they're of any real quality - you can grind down a sloppy weld and have it look just as nice as a great one would if it were ground down.

I guess it saves some weight though, and Trek's welding probably isn't bad, but grinding down welds is traditionally a novice's trick for hiding mess-ups.

all the worst bikes have smooth welds!

(:

nickf

by nickf

I work at a trek store and im really considering trying this thing out. Not sure about what size.

Im on a 54 caad9 at the moment with straight post and about 1.5cm under the stem (small bearing cap plus one small spacer) 100mm stem with 52.5cm (saddle to center of stem) reach.

The h2 fit in a 54 has 15.5 HT vs the CAAD9 54 at 14cm. Would work fine but would need to find a bearing cover with no rise for the emonda. TT is only .2 off between the 54 cm frames.

Everything from the caad would swap over with the exception of the crankset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

My plot addresses this:

Each symbol is a frame size.

Here's the Trek geometry. Note my plot doesn't have the 44 cm:

Here's CAAD-10 (which is basically the same as CAAD-9, FWICT):

So the 54 cm Cannondale is the 4th point in the plot. That's close to the 3rd point in the H2 plot which is the 52 cm Emonda. But there's about 4 mm more reach on the Cannondale. So you'd want a -17 deg step that's 4 mm longer. If your stem isn't -17 deg it will still be around 4 mm difference. Since stems only come in 5 mm increments you'd probably want one 5 mm longer for the Trek.

With the Emonda 54 cm you'd pull spacers out and the stem length would be more marginal: probably stick with 10 cm.

Note the 54 cm Cannondale is the closest of all the Cannondales to the Trek H2 geometry other than the biggest and smallest sizes.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

btompkins0112 wrote:It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

:thumbup: :lol:
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I'll take that new Giant Propel SLR alloy over this please. Even the new CAAD 12 or whatever they call it is a better option than this Trek imo. CAAD is still the gold standard.

nickf

by nickf

djconnel thanks for the info. I think i will go with the 54, can swap everything. I can get the frame for a deal so im not losing out much to give this thing a try. Looks like ill save 100+g vs my caad9 but not sure about ride quality.

djconnel

by djconnel

CAAD 12???
When I was at Tour of California in San Jose I heard there was a new Cannondale coming out but I understood that was an Evo iteration.

5DII

by 5DII

djconnel, how would i make the emonda fit like my evo? my evo is 58cm with 110mm stem with 5mm spacer and 25mm cone shaped thing below it

tranzformer

by tranzformer

^ If I am doing my math correctly, the 58cm Evo has a stack of 57.7 and a reach of 39.9. Throw in your 30mm + 110mm and you have a stack of 60.7 cm and a reach of a reach of 50.9cm.

The H2 in a 58cm with 10cm spacer under the stem and a 120mm stem should get you close.

nickf

by nickf

I don't see what all the fuss is about with the H2 fit. Not defending trek or anything. But between the CAAD and H2 the head tube is what 1.5cm taller. Everything else seems to be within .5 - 1cm. I would go carbon but know way to many guys what have had various issues with cracks of some sort. Dont want to be out of a bike even if its going to be a warranty replacement.

sawyer

by sawyer

Has anyone actually weighed one to verify the 1050g claim?

I expect we'll see these ending up in the 1100g ish range

Specialized are taking the pi55 with a £7500 alu bike / 3 £1500 alu frameset. A few short years ago their SL3 S-Works frame was like £1700/£1800 MRP. And the old E5 S-Works (essentially just as good as the new one I am sure) ... was c£600 MRP IIRC

Canondale and Canyon have the right idea re pricing their alu frames / bikes tho
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

nickf

by nickf

Waiting a a answer at the shop from trek. See if they get back to me with painted frame weights. They usually do though.

durianrider

by durianrider

Tall head tube is for noobs?? LOL!

Chris Horner road H2 geo when he road for Trek and won the Vuelta.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

durianrider

by durianrider

They are also so cheap here in Chiang Mai. About 1500AUD for the 105 model Emonda ALR.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

You given up on Adelaide? Or there on a riding holiday?

Damn I miss living there (Chiang Mai) at times.