Trek Emonda ALR (aluminium version)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Only 3-days ago BikeRadar said it was a "sneak peek", but I saw one today - and for sale in a Trek store in Sydney too.

Looks good:

Potentially fits well into the cheaper alu race bike mode, and the taller front end H2 geometry is a good idea IMHO.

jeffy

by jeffy

is internal routing more expensive re:manufacture? I appreciate external is easier to work with, but internal looks so much cleaner.

I sometimes think it might get used as a clear "differentiator". the Emonda S has external, but going up to the SL model gets you internal (amongst less immediately obvious upgrades).

Perhaps i am in a minority, but internal/external is one of the first things that jumps out at me with a bike - it must be one of the easiest nudges towards the upsell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Looks very good, but the press fit BB is a no fly zone on alu for my taste.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Sensor in the chainstay looks quite neat.

prebsy

by prebsy

According to the Bikeradar article @biketart posted MSRP is 700GBP or $1043. I'm waiting to see more detailed specs but I find it hard to believe it will compete with the CAAD at such a similar price-point.

TomHelly

by TomHelly

1050g for an unpainted 56cm frame apparently.

I'll have a couple in it at work tomorrow or Thursday.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm guessing they went external for weight savings. Here's what I pulled down from a cached Australian website (I'm assuming Trek made them pull it down):

1. Light weight

Emonda ALR boasts the lightest production alloy frame on the market with a 56 unpainted frame coming in at a staggering 1050g. Painted full carbon fork will only add another 358g with a 120mm carbon steerer. Alloy bikes just found their new king!

2. High performance

300 series Alpha aluminium brings speed, efficiency, and comfort to a new generation of bikes. Combined with ‘invisible weld technology’ the ALR has set the benchmark in alloy framed bikes.

3. Unmatched value

For $2199 get yourself on a FULL Shimano 105 groupset. Thats right. A complete complement of the best parts available

4. Balanced all-rounder

Think the world’s lightest production line is only for crushing mountains? Wrong. Combining over 40 years of expertise, your Emonda is the combination of years in the saddle. From ferocious hill top finishes, to cafe shop sprints and early morning commutes, the Emonda line will conquer it all.

Emonda S Series models

Emonda ALR 5 – 105 11 speed
Emonda ALR 4 – NEW Tiagra 10 speed (coming soon)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Looks rather pedestrian. I would be very surprised if it could hold a candle to a CAAD with that geometry.....CAAD is still king.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If it's got the same geometry as the other Emondas (Sl/SLR) it should have no problem holding a candle to anything. I don't feel the least bit slighted riding my Sl Emonda vs my Colnagos.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

drmarg

by drmarg

Calnago wrote:If it's got the same geometry as the other Emondas (Sl/SLR) it should have no problem holding a candle to anything. I don't feel the least bit slighted riding my Sl Emonda vs my Colnagos.

Bullseye! I spent the last six months of intensive riding trading off between an Emonda SLR and a Colnago C-60. Rides included centuries, double centuries, mountain stages and 30-50 mile fast club rides. The C-60 is a very nice bike that has a stunning appearance but is not as fast, smooth or climbs/descends like the Emonda. Emphasis on climbing!

This aluminum version is gonna make some people very happy, especially considering the price point. I could see this frame built with Ultegra Di2 and a set of Bontrager tubeless wheels for a day in day out rider. Can't wait to read reviews on ride quality.
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 6.03kg
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 5.44kg
2014 BMC TeamElite 01 MTB 9.07kg

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I certainly wouldn't say the emonda is a better bike than the colnago by any means. I actually got it because of it's geometry, which is very close to my Colnagos 61 Traditional. Plus, it has clearance for full fenders and I intend to use it as a dedicated rain bike. But it is extremely well designed and thought out. Cable routing is superb. Tolerances in the bottom bracket are good. And I think the aesthetics are very nice as well. My Colnagos geometry fit right smack in the middle of a 60cm Emonda H2 and H1. I can get exactly the same fit on the H2 Emonda as I have on my colnagos. To the millimeter. The H1 fit would be ridiculously aggressive for me as the headtube is 3cm lower than the H2, which means even with a 9cm saddle/handlebar drop I'd still be adding 3cm of spacers to an H1. No, for the vast majority of people and H2 fit will be the appropriate choice.

As for solid feel and rock solid handling, the Colnago is better. More stable for sure, and I'd most certainly rather be on the colnagos while descending. But not by a huge margin. I think the Colnagos would fare much much better in a crash, for sure. And I'm not a featherweight, so that's important.

But overall, I think the emonda is a fantastic bike. I've been looking for something like it for quite some time now. Super happy with it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

prebsy

by prebsy

FIJIGabe wrote:3. Unmatched value

For $2199 get yourself on a FULL Shimano 105 groupset. Thats right. A complete complement of the best parts available

I seriously can't tell if this is a joke...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I am pretty sure it isn't a joke, unfortunately......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmarg

by drmarg

Calnago wrote:I certainly wouldn't say the emonda is a better bike than the colnago by any means. I actually got it because of it's geometry, which is very close to my Colnagos 61 Traditional. Plus, it has clearance for full fenders and I intend to use it as a dedicated rain bike. But it is extremely well designed and thought out. Cable routing is superb. Tolerances in the bottom bracket are good. And I think the aesthetics are very nice as well. My Colnagos geometry fit right smack in the middle of a 60cm Emonda H2 and H1. I can get exactly the same fit on the H2 Emonda as I have on my colnagos. To the millimeter. The H1 fit would be ridiculously aggressive for me as the headtube is 3cm lower than the H2, which means even with a 9cm saddle/handlebar drop I'd still be adding 3cm of spacers to an H1. No, for the vast majority of people and H2 fit will be the appropriate choice.

As for solid feel and rock solid handling, the Colnago is better. More stable for sure, and I'd most certainly rather be on the colnagos while descending. But not by a huge margin. I think the Colnagos would fare much much better in a crash, for sure. And I'm not a featherweight, so that's important.

But overall, I think the emonda is a fantastic bike. I've been looking for something like it for quite some time now. Super happy with it.

Couldn't disagree more. My Emonda out descended, out handled the C-60 hands down on very fast mountain descents. The biggest difference is climbing. The Emonda just kills the C-60. I've never climbed on a more efficient machine.
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 6.03kg
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 5.44kg
2014 BMC TeamElite 01 MTB 9.07kg