Trek Emonda ALR (aluminium version)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

giant tcr slr is light/cheap racy geometry
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

durianrider wrote:Tall head tube is for noobs?? LOL!

Chris Horner road H2 geo when he road for Trek and won the Vuelta.

First off this sort of anecdotal evidence is rubbish. Horner also rode 46 cm bars, he is a funny little dude. But one rider getting one result, regardless of the race, should not sway your decision.

Geometry needs to match the intended use of the bike. A $1000 aluminum frame is what people view as a crit bike, crit bike means race geometry. Putting endurance geometry on a stiff alloy frame doesn't make sense.

TL;DR ----> THE CARPET DOESN'T MATCH THE DRAPES!!!

fa63

by fa63

Anyone who wants lower handlebars can size down and run a long slammed stem, like the pros tend to do.

For the rest of us, the H2 geometry makes sense, allowing us mere mortals to use the frame without a ton of spacers and an upturned stem.

Tom14

by Tom14

btompkins0112 wrote:It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

I disagree. I've ridden criteriums on a H2 Madone for a couple of years. No I have a Specialized Allez with quite comparable geometry. I need that because I have long legs and arms. With 1m86 I'm riding a 56 and still have a quite agressive position.

Pieter

by Pieter

Tom14 wrote:
btompkins0112 wrote:It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

I disagree. I've ridden criteriums on a H2 Madone for a couple of years. No I have a Specialized Allez with quite comparable geometry. I need that because I have long legs and arms. With 1m86 I'm riding a 56 and still have a quite agressive position.

True that. I'm only 1m76 but my saddleheight is about 77.5 cm. So a small head tube needs spacers (which i don't like), otherwise the drop is just too big. But most people are not build like that so i can understand their remarks. It seems that the top tube is a bit too much sloping for my liking.

nickf

by nickf

52cm frame /fork /headset. Shop isn't good at weighing individual parts.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

fa63 wrote:Anyone who wants lower handlebars can size down and run a long slammed stem, like the pros tend to do.
For the rest of us, the H2 geometry makes sense, allowing us mere mortals to use the frame without a ton of spacers and an upturned stem.

I used to sit more upright, but then I learned the trick to getting low. Focus on really relaxing your lower back and core, and make sure you maintain that when you pedal. It will feel weird at first if you aren't used to it, but adaptation was quick once it "clicked". Your muscles will engage differently, that is the weird part. And then you can go as low as you like. Why get low? Because it's faster.

I'm 6' (183cm), 33.5" inseam (85cm) and ride a 54cm frame (140mm head tube) with a slammed -17, 140mm stem. And I'm 55 and have a bad back. Yes, I do ride the drops, too.
formerly rruff...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Any more feedback on how this bike rides? Comfort?, Stability?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ridingmakesmehappy

by ridingmakesmehappy

Hello everyone

Got this today! Here are some weights for a 52cm frame set. The frame has nothing on it except for the riveted front mech brace-on. Assuming my scales accurate the frame seems a bit heavy, but maybe its just the paint. The fork is uncut and its steerer comes in a length specific to the 52cm frame headtube. The drop outs on the fork are alloy and I suspect the crown is too.

I'll build it up with Red22, Fulcrum R1 wheelset, and some Thomson components. I'll post the weight of the final build once it's all done.

nickinco

by nickinco

Just built mine up - I got the alr6 ultegra complete bike and swapped over a few contact points but as of now the bike is mostly stock. Currently 7.9 kilos, so obvious not WW territory, but pretty decent considering the 1800g wheelset and mid-tier components. Beyond that though I have to say I'm extremely impressed by the apparent build quality in person - the invisible welds do give it a very clean look and the matte charcoal paint with small color accents for me is just perfect. It certainly ~feels~ like a more expensive bike than it is, I'll be interested to see if it rides like one too.

ultratarmo

by ultratarmo

Size 54 out of the box, uncut fork and spacers on the headset, will be slamming the stem, so maybe 50-100g less eventually, once assembled.

Will be building w Ultegra 6800, AM Argent wheelset w IRC Formula Pro tubeless, Fizik Cyrano R1 cockpit w Arione R1 saddle. On paper looks like under 7 kg. We'll see.

ridingmakesmehappy

by ridingmakesmehappy

OK so I've finally build the bike, it rides nice, pretty nice in fact. It's very comfortable, but then again I don't have an SL to compare it to. Either way at no point during my rides did I wish I had a carbon frame. What I do wish for however is the H1 geometry. The headtube is pretty long on this H2. I replaced the top headset cover with a low profile one and that helped a lot. Still, maybe I should have gotten the 50cm instead of the 52cm, but I worried it was going to handle considerably different. Either way I'll stick with it for now, and if Trek release a H1 version then I'll get that and sell this frame. I did a rough weigh-in on the bathroom scales and it came in around the 7kg mark so not bad :)

ultratarmo

by ultratarmo

ridingmakesmehappy wrote:I replaced the top headset cover with a low profile one and that helped a lot.

could you share which one did you replace it with? I'd be interested to perhaps get that too.

ridingmakesmehappy

by ridingmakesmehappy

The top cover came off a Cane Creek 40 headset I had laying around, and it just so happened that it was a perfect fit. Although I haven't looked, no doubt FSA will have an equivalent product. In fact, any 1 1/8 integrated top headset cover should work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tedgrant

by tedgrant

I have had a 62cm emonda alr for 200 miles now. I really like it. bought off ebay unbuilt with a small dent in top tube for 240 dollars.
frame fork headset and pressed in BB weighed 4 pounds even

best thing is, it fits a 28c tire front and rear with room to spare. I run them at 75 psi and the ride is firm but comfy..

zero flex from the oversize BB and tapered fork. you can stomp on it going uphill, and it feels very solid desending.
balanced handling, its a stage racer type, not criterium

the bang for buck ratio is sky high with this frame. its a v8 camaro in bike form.

very low bling factor on group rides, however ( used to have a c50 and a time lugged carbon) who really cares though

the geometry versus cannondale is really easy, if you like low bars get a cannondale, if you like em higher, get the trek