What frameset to get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PIPO

by PIPO

I want to build a new bike and I'm torn between 4 different frames...Cannondale Super 6 Hi Mod Evo, Jamis Xenith SL, Orbea Orca, and Scott Addict R1. I want it for my annual trip to Puerto Rico...lots of hills. Your thoughts? I have ridden and owned a Jamis Xenith Sl and I really liked it, no experience on the other 3 though. Goal is to build a lightweight bike, under 15lbs ready to ride.
Jamis Xenith SL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimborello

by jimborello

If your goal is to build a bike under 15lbs then you have a lot of options other than the 4 you list, you can even build a steel or ti bike under 15lbs if you choose components well.

russianbear

by russianbear

Out of the ones you listed, I'd go with the addict. It's not hard to build a 15lb bike nowadays.

kgt

by kgt

Cannondale Super 6 Hi Mod Evo or Scott Addict R1.

PIPO

by PIPO

Thanks for the replies. Although I said "under 15lbs ready to ride" I should have been more specific...full carbon under 15lbs with pedals, cages and tool bag. I'm down to 2, the Addict and the Supersix...which one holds better value or has a better reputation?
Jamis Xenith SL

kgt

by kgt

Both have a good reputation but none will hold its value for a long time (i.e. like a top Colnago or Parlee or another handmade boutique frame would do).

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

Well cannondale is affectionately called crack and fail by many. There was one year when I worked for a Cannondale dealer 4/5 Super 6 Hi Evo blah blah blah frames had to be warrantied for cracks.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Between those two it should be down to which geometry suits you better.....

PIPO

by PIPO

Seems like the Addicts have their own issues too.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=104332&start=45

By comparing the geometries between them 2 and the ones I own, the SuperSix may be the better bike for me.
Jamis Xenith SL

mimason

by mimason

Of those listed the Evo would be my choice: light, stiff, comfortable but the Scott would also be a contender. I'd have to ride both and decide. It may come down to fit geometry.

drmarg

by drmarg

Trek Emonda SLR. Best bike I have ever ridden. Superior climber! You won't know until you test ride!
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 6.03kg
2015 TREK Emonda Project One 5.44kg
2014 BMC TeamElite 01 MTB 9.07kg

Krull

by Krull

i would choose the jamis xenith sl. it looks great and is something particular. you already gladly owned one, so the geometry seems to fit!

scott and especially cannondale are, comparatively, straight-ahead-mass-products you see on every corner.

but finally, its very simple imo: best choice is nicest-looking bike (in your opinion) with appropriate geometry.

thegunner

by thegunner

I'd go with the addict, mainly because of how right the pre 2011 ones were

tranzformer

by tranzformer

drmarg wrote:Trek Emonda SLR. Best bike I have ever ridden. Superior climber! You won't know until you test ride!

Not one of the 4 options the OP gave you.

1. Cannondale Super 6 Hi Mod Evo
2. Jamis Xenith SL
3. Orbea Orca
4. Scott Addict R1.

As mentioned, go with best geometry fit for you first. After that, the one that you like the looks of best. Then maybe the one you can get the best deal on? I'd prefer the Evo or Addict myself. Then the Jamis.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PIPO

by PIPO

thegunner wrote:I'd go with the addict, mainly because of how right the pre 2011 ones were

The one I'm looking at is a 2011 model...no good?
Jamis Xenith SL