14 pound road bike needs parts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seetride

by seetride

I have a 14# road bike I have not ridden in several years and have found it needs some parts. My wheels are by Dave Thomas. I need a front hub with approximate distance across spoke ends to be 33mm which is what my old Nuke Proof hub has as the distance. Dave is not sure anyone makes a hub with that small a diameter any longer. Used would be OK if I have to go that route.
Now I found my crank arm, left side is cracked where it bolts onto the bottom bracket. This crack foes all the way through so I don't think a repair is likely. Anyone know who sells lightweight cranks? I had a tubular titanium crankset that the maker claimed might have defective welding and they said to send it back for replacement. That never came and I was out $535. 15 years ago.
Now getting back, hopefully(several back surgeries), I need to get back into the loop and find who is making the lightest parts. I am not sure how much the bike weighs exactly but will get a weight today.
When I was younger this bike was very quick. Now everything is obsolete and I would guess everything sold now may be heavier:( The front wheel weighed 495grams. It had the Nuke proof hub, Saavadra Turbo aero rim and carbon fiber spokes, radially laced. I had every bolt replicated in either aluminum or titanium depending on the application. I would modify parts where I could. Take the ITM titanium stem. Well the stem bolt and wedge were steel. I use a Cinelli aluminum stem bolt with a Brody magnesium wedge. The carnks are bolted on with steel bolts which are removed and replaced with aluminum bolts. Hub axles were changed from steel to titanium and tapped for 6mm aluminum bolt/cup arrangements. I could go on but you see how I achieved such a light bike. Even the freewheel is super light at 135 grams, manufactured in magnesium. Regina chains w/hollow pins except for a short section with traditional solid pins for changing the chain. Regina 50SL I think it was called.
Right now is finding who has the lightest parts, except for parts from China, that take 3-4 months to get here. No problem with chinese parts but the weight is unreasonable for me. THX, Mark

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

You can easily get a better durability/weight ratio than in the 90s. What is your budget like? Are you just wanting to replace broken parts or building a new bike?

Fairwheel has some good tests and sells modern equipment: https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-and-testing/
formerly rruff...

wingguy

by wingguy

"Now everything is obsolete and I would guess everything sold now may be heavier :("

You think? You can get an off the shelf bike for £4k that weighs 14 1/2. You can then go way under 14 without even getting creative.

OK, most factory wheels are heavier than yours, but that's hardly apples to apples. You can get American Classic magnesium clinchers at 1100g a set off the shelf for under $1500, or for about 3x that you can get Tune Skyliner tubs at under 850g. And I'm then there are still a lot of small wheelbuilders lacing very light hubs to very light rims with very light spokes...

kman

by kman

I'd love to see a build thread with all the details. As posted already, building a light bike - or just buying one is easy these days. In years past it was a lot of cost and effort!

I'd keep your bike as it is (or sell it) and start again. Sound like mashing it up with modern parts will ruin it!
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa