Rotor 3D + crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

myungjinkim

by myungjinkim

Rotor 3D + crank spindle size is 24MM
Is there?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

3D+ is 30mm

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

3D24 is UBB24 (24mm spindle) , 3D30 and 3D+ are UBB30 (30mm spindle)

Every spindle will fit both BSA and the new standards as long as you get the right bearings/bb.

From Rotor website
"The final solution to all your BB/Crank headaches
UBB30 cranks are 100% compatible with BSA (68 & 73), ITA, BB86, BBB89, BB92, BB30, BB386 evo and BBRight frames (not with BB90 & BB94).
UBB24 cranks are 100% compatible with BSA (68 and 73), ITA, BB86, 89, 90, 92, 94, BB30 and BBRight frames (except for BB386 evo, because it’s not in demand).
The integrated design approach used in our Bottom brackets with our UBB24 and UBB30 cranksets has helped us solve confusing bottom bracket standard incompatibilities."

srshaw

by srshaw

Also a 3DF has a 30mm spindle, similar to the 3D+ but a bit cheaper and heavier.

stormur

by stormur

But not even a word about BB30A :noidea:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

OJ

by OJ

Digging up an old topic.

I got a new Giant (BB86) and I was planning to install take off Rotor 3DF (off my Cervelo R3) cranks on it, since it came with 386EVO cranks and BB and "Rotor fits everything". However, the parts that I have definitely do not fit together. The spindle doesn't go far enough into the DS crank for crank bolt thread to catch, and even if it would, the chainline would be way way out. Does this have something to do with the spider lockring? The lockring on my cranks looks like this lockring. Do I need to get a different lockring to make this work? Something that would allow the DS crank sit further in?
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

The Cervelo bikes come with a special lock ring. You need a normal lock ring for your project.

OJ

by OJ

Mario Jr. wrote:The Cervelo bikes come with a special lock ring. You need a normal lock ring for your project.

Thanks for your reply. I'll call Rotor on Monday.

Can't they just make their mind with BB's already!?

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

OJ, Like go back to good ole English / Italian threaded that never fail!!!! :twisted:

Ive go a Campy Cartridge BB in my aluminum Pinarello thats pushing 10 years old and still runs smoother than any Crapped out ceramic PF30 on any of my Cannondales!!

lewolive

by lewolive

ParisCarbon wrote:OJ, Like go back to good ole English / Italian threaded that never fail!!!! :twisted:

Ive go a Campy Cartridge BB in my aluminum Pinarello thats pushing 10 years old and still runs smoother than any Crapped out ceramic PF30 on any of my Cannondales!!

I'm almost OK with you. Rotor BB are almost all a nightmare: not smooth et become rusty after 2-6 months (even ceramic !).

But...

There are alternative solutions that are smoother and as much reliable as a Campy vintage.

On Rotor 3D+, I see CeramicSpeed line which is good, and CyclingCeramic (same quality but cheaper).

A Rotor 3D+ is one of the stiffest cranks of the market, at a very competitive weight. But when you upgrade your bike, you need to consider the combo crank and bearings. Mounting just a 3D+ is a nonsense. You need to mount a quality BB with the 3D+ (my preferences is on ceramic, but there are some brands makings acceptable quality bearings).

OJ

by OJ

Oh yeah! Another new learning opportunity on BB's and different standards. The Cervelo version of the spider/lockring will not fit anything but BBright. I need a new spider and a lockring. And of course...I will need a lockring tool as well and the piece seems to cost $60...Bloody hell with these!

I am close to ordering Ultegra crankset and just use regular bb86 BB on this thing. Tooling, new lockring and spider will cost almost the same as the Ultegra crankset.

martinko

by martinko

Mario Jr. wrote:The Cervelo bikes come with a special lock ring. You need a normal lock ring for your project.

Is it just a lock ring or whole spider?

nakuta

by nakuta

It has UBB(Universial bottom bracket) so you could use it any frame.

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

stormur wrote:But not even a word about BB30A :noidea:

They're both compatible with BB30A. I just ordered one for a 2016 Cannondale Evo. Instead of using the standard 11.5mm cone spacer on the non-drive side, it requires any combination of spacers totaling 6.5mm.

srshaw

by srshaw

OJ wrote:Oh yeah! Another new learning opportunity on BB's and different standards. The Cervelo version of the spider/lockring will not fit anything but BBright. I need a new spider and a lockring. And of course...I will need a lockring tool as well and the piece seems to cost $60...Bloody hell with these!

I am close to ordering Ultegra crankset and just use regular bb86 BB on this thing. Tooling, new lockring and spider will cost almost the same as the Ultegra crankset.

I think power2max make their own tool for removing spiders. I'm sure it's cheaper than $60.

It's a surprise to me too that you need a special lockring for cervelo. Never seen a mention of that on the rotor website, just a list of different spacers which is fair enough. Is this something cervelo do to avoid using spacers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com