Hollowgram SL on PF30 Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

Finally got to try and install a set of Hollowgram SLs on my PF30 frame and failed. I knew this might happen but was hopping for the best.

I am using the 104mm spindle withe the shoulder and I think the spindle is too short.

I am also use a SRAM PF30 BB with the supplied BB cover. The problem is when I put any kind of torque in the DS bolt the crank has too much drag. I also cannot see the Wavy washer at all to know if its getting compressed or not (leading me to think the spindle is too short).

I think I remember reading that I probably need the SISL2 109mm spindle, question is do I need the spacer (SL2 2.5mm spacer)? Also on the SISL you install the washer and shims on the drive side, on the SISL2 on the NDS so if I get the 109mm spindle do install the washer and shims the way the SISL is suppose to be or the SISL2?

Hope I have the right answer here, need to order the 109mm spindle but figured some knowledge from here might help.

Thank you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

SLs will fit on a PF30 frame.

Things to look for - are you using just one set of bearing seals? If you use the alloy uses that come with the crank and the plastic seals that come with the PF30 BB you will not have enough space. Don't use the alloy seals, just use the plastic ones from the BB. Do you have the evo lockring on your SLs? The evo lockring is machined out to have more clearance to allow usage on a PF30 BB when compared to traditional BB30. You don't need a new spindle (which will increase your q factor)
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I am only using the bearing seals that came with the BB, not using the metal ones. I definitely have an old lockring (looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/50271552@ ... otostream/)

I am going to try to find a new one, call the cannondale dealer tomorrow to source one for me and will try with that. What is happening for sure is that the crankset (probably the lockring) is pushing too much on the bearing covers and the more torque I apply the less they will spin.

I would definitely prefer to not get the longer spindle so lets hope this will work.

THank you!

shindi

by shindi

Did it work? I hope so!
I am planning on doing the same thing, to put a Cannondale Hollowgram Si crank on a Specialized roubaix SL4 OSBB.
I heard from a mechanic that some Cannondale cranks only works on Cannondale frame, so I really would like to know if that is true.

Thank you!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

shindi wrote:Did it work? I hope so!
I am planning on doing the same thing, to put a Cannondale Hollowgram Si crank on a Specialized roubaix SL4 OSBB.
I heard from a mechanic that some Cannondale cranks only works on Cannondale frame, so I really would like to know if that is true.

Thank you!

Not that I'm aware of. Really just a matter of bearing shields, spacers, wave washers and spindles.

I've used my SiSLs on four different frames. 2x BB30, 1x PF30 and one BSA. Used 109mm, 131mm and 132mm spindles and appropriate spacers.

2old4this

by 2old4this

+1 on the 109mm spindle.
If I remember correctly, there is a 2mm (?) spacer on the drive side, and may be 5-6mm non drive side spacer. When you add shims and wave washer and bearing shields, you end up with 109mm spindle. You can omit those spacers but I think you'll be awfully close to your frame.
I had to order the new spindle when sisl2 came out. I am sure you can find some with reasonable price on ebay...

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Check these directions for what you might need:

http://media.cannondale.com/media/uploa ... r_1012.pdf

ms6073

by ms6073

If you go with the standard type of PF-30 like the SRAM below, as you can see the shell of the assembly will be a problem since the bearings are recessed in the shell.

My experience with a Hollowgram SRM on PF30 frames was similar in that I could not achieve correct spacing with the SRAM PF30 bottom bracket and ultimately got it to work after having the sleeve machined off the 104mm road spindle and getting Cannondale's SRM PF30 bottom bracket which has alloy cups help which minimize lateral spacing.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

roadiesean

by roadiesean

Dredging this up in the hope some one can help me. So crankset in Moots Vamoots RSL with Chris King PF30 bb. All put together in the same format as it was on the Time ZXRS I took it off and it's binding. Do I need to add or remove spacers off the non-drive side ????

Any help would be great. Thanks !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com