Dropout wear - how to fix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

efeballi

by efeballi

Hello all,
My rear wheels are sitting crooked-rotated towards the NDS chainstay and are playing inside the dropouts in my KTM Strada frame. I've been trying to figure out the cause, and I have tried:
-using different wheels. Both have approximately the same amount of play, which is concentrated on the drive side dropout. Here, I have noticed that chain tension is turning the wheels to the left (when viewed from above).
-dropping the chain. This allowed the wheels to sit correctly but did not take care of the play. The wheels still slipped after I remounted the chain and applied pedal force.
-mounting the wheel backwards, with the cassette on the NDS. This also led to near perfect alignment, but there was still play on the DS dropout. One of the wheels turned out to be out of dish, but it's not a major factor.
-changing skewers. I clamped the hell out of the wheel with Shimano skewers but they still slipped with a good push of the pedal.
-measuring dropouts. The dropouts may not be perfectly circular, but still I measured 9.4 mm for the DS and 9.2 mm for the NDS dropout.
As a solution I tried shimming the dropouts with metal rings cut from used satellite cable heads. While this helped, I had to do a lot of tweaking and still could not solve the issue completely.
The most probable cause is that the material around the dropout is worn away. With wheel swaps and possibly movement while riding, the dropout's diameter was increased.

TL;DR my dropouts are fooked, what do?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

eric

by eric

build up the worn places on the dropout with epoxy?

How did it get like this in the first place? Is the wheels' axle too long so the QR does not clamp on the dropout hard enough?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Thin tape (tubeless rim tape) on the axle and an allen key skewer.

r0ddy

by r0ddy

Don't try and bodge it. Get a local engineering firm to build it back up with a weld and machine it back.

Irish

by Irish

Not familiar with the KTM but would be sure it has a replaceable driveside(derailleur) hanger, replacing this should be you first move.

efeballi

by efeballi

Thanks all for the replies.
I do not currently have enough time to do any of the fixes you mentioned, but I'll try them on the order of increased risk and $.
@Marin, tried 3 different skewers, had no effect.
@Irish, the hanger is replaceable but the wheel axle does not touch the hanger, do not think it has anything to do with the problem. But I will try it anyway.

SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

efeballi

by efeballi

Multiple layers of electrical tape around the wheel axles seems to fix it. Kudos to @Marin for the suggestion. Hope this will last...

SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Marin

by Marin

Great that it worked!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

efeballi

by efeballi

Removed the tape from wheel axles and applied tape to worn areas of the dropouts. Same effect, now works for all wheels! Thinking about a more permanent solution with short fiber reinforced epoxy.
As the saying goes, if it's supposed to move and doesn't, apply WD-40, if it's supposed not to move and moves, apply duct tape.
SHUT UP LEGS
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)