Installing DA 9000 FD without TL-FD90

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

So I ordered a Dura Ace kit from Ribble and everything came without boxes, just in sealed plastic bags. Wasn't happy about that but it's fine. I notice now that the TL FD90 cable alignment tool wasn't included with the front derailleur, I assume because it was an open box. Can someone explain how I can decide on which side to put the little adjustment thing without having that tool? Is there a visual cue to use, like the tool, when looking at the front derailleur from the rear of the bike with the cable held up? Pics of others' setups would be helpful. My frame is a 2014 Cannondale Synapse Hi Mod if anyone has already done and install and knows which way it goes. Thanks guys!

dunbar42

by dunbar42

You can always try the FD in both positions and decide which one shifts better. Or buy one on ebay for $9.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jesper64

by Jesper64

This TechFAQ from VeloNews may be useful http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/ ... tup_363733

srshaw

by srshaw

I bought my DA9000 from ribble, and it was in bags. It did however include the FD tool. I would send them an email, I'm sure they'll sort you out.

kode54

by kode54

or ask anyone here if they have the same bike...which position they use.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Just amazing that bike manufacturers wouldn't just publish the position with the bike.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Agreed, goodboyr! I googled photos of the same frame with Dura Ace and was able to figure out which way it went on. Install went smoothly after that. Excited for the first ride tomorrow, I'm one of the few people that has "upgraded" from Ultegra 6870 Di2 to Dura Ace Mechanical. Just missed that mechanical feel I guess.

Edit: As a side note, I have to say that I was disappointed in Ribble not making it clear that these were take-off parts. The lever hoods were a little dirty and already had shift cables installed, no boxes, no FD tool. Took some of the "new bike parts" excitement out of it... Just some.

srshaw

by srshaw

I don't think the parts have been taken off anything. Shops like ribble buy parts oem, which come without boxes. Ribble sell their own bikes so buy loads of groupsets this way. It's cheaper. I think all shifters come with gear inners installed, I have some shimano xt that were retail in box with the cable installed. If they had be used, they would be cut to length.

Anyway, hope you like DA9000, I'm very happy with mine. I use a rotor crank which I'm not that fond of so will soon change that to Dura Ace.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Srshaw is on the money. Ribble sold OEM parts to you. If Shimano folks are reading this ribble can be out of OEM for next year.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

maxxevv

by maxxevv

It may also be the case where they were saving on shipping by throwing out the boxes.
But they should ask if you wanted them first if that was the case.
Else, yes they were selling them in factory packing, meant for complete bike assembly originally.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Thanks guys, that makes sense.