Shifting issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Looking for some help.

I am running a SISL2 hollowgram on an evo with SRAM red black RD with extralite pulleys, 10 speed, Q rings 52/36, XG1090 11-28, ilinks w KCNC Ti cable, KMC x10sl chain.

Chain is 1200ks old. Cassette around 4000k.

Since switching to midcompacts from standard rings I have had trouble engaging the 52x11. If I set it up so every other gear will shift it will stutter on the 12-11 shift and take ages to drop in under load. If I set it up to shift into the 11 in the 52 it will stutter in the little ring to shift around mid cassette. In the small ring the 12-11 shift will shift without stutter every single time.

The limit screw is not limiting derailleur movement. The B screw is running the derailleur as close to the cassette as possible. I have checked the cable, it is clean not frayed, the liner has no kinks, there is a generous loop of cable around the RD.

The derailleur hanger has been checked, and is straight, the wheel is correctly seated in the dropout. Shifter internals have been cleaned and regreased.

I have another bike running Q rings 53/39, sram red 11-25, and ilinks and it shifts crisply.

Is there anything else I could try, wouldn't altering chain length help? The thing that confuses me is that the 11 is accessable from the 36 crisply but not the 52. Anyone else have similar issues they have solved?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Benno

by Benno

Is the cable guide under the BB being moved at all by a front derailleur shift? Had that happen on a customers bike, it would rotate as it was only held on by one screw. Just a thought.
Is the rear hanger tight? Often the screws holding it to the frame come loose. The extra chain tension of the big ring could be moving the RD around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Last edited by Tenlegs on Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

stormur

by stormur

Start from test : disconnet rD cable and rotating crank emulate shifting by pressing RD : go up and down, releasing RD around middle of cassette compeltely - IF it comes back immediately to 11 - limits are 99% fine , but here I think are not . Set HI limit to have jockey bit outward 11th cog ( BIT I mean it's grinding a little without tensioned cable ) , screw in barell FULLY, attach cable, shift 1 up and rotating crank unscrew barell adjuster SLOWLY to first shift happening, AND ONLY TO THIS PLACE AND 1/8 OF TURN MORE. Again : SLOWLY. 99% people are to "radical" in that step :) . If der hanger alignmet is fine, cables-housing too, distance from jockey to cassette is OK - then IT MUST work.

But it can not, if f.e. pivots in RD are already loose… not so uncommon even in new Red RD :welcome:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

xena
Banned

by xena

Did you try and just adjust your cable adjuster, Moving it away from the frame until it drops into the 11 smooth.
Just a thought as no one mentioned this and its a easy fix.
Sram is always a bit trial and error to set up correct. You also said you have generous loop of cable.
To much cable could hamper shifting.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

em3

by em3

starting from scratch is important here, per stormur recs above. And just to state the obvious, make sure that before you set the cable anchor bolt that all the clicks are let out of the shifter. Chain length can make a difference..post pics so we can see ur chain length. Also, u r riding a wide cassette ratio which may demand that the B-screw be let out a bit to allow a bit more space between upper pulley and cogs. Lastly, some after market sealed bearing pulleys do not have sufficient lateral play, which can effect the quality of your shifting.
Last edited by em3 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo

by Cosmo

NiFTY wrote:The B screw is running the derailleur as close to the cassette as possible.

SRAM systems need a little space (about 5mm) for B gap. Open the B and it will likely work well; too tight and shifting becomes slow and noisy. If the pulleys "float" (as in for a Shimano style setup) then that's an issue as well-SRAM is no floating pulley.
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I rectified the issue by changing the upper pulley from extralite back to stock SRAM. Not sure why it was causing an issue, it may be it wasn't perfectly centered as I had to use teflon tape to make it fit the pulley screw but switching back to stock eliminated the issue.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

That's one of the main reasons I don't go with non stock pulleys on my rig I have always had shifting issues after switching... :noidea: