Best 52-36 chainrings for SRAM Red Exogram BB30 (10 speed)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AntonioAraujo

by AntonioAraujo

Anyone can give me some recommendations and feedback?
Good looking, low weight, no shifting issues and if it is possible to use with the sram red chaincatcher?

There is no 52-36 option for Sram Red 10 speed, only for Red 22 and it's not officially compatible with the 20 speed version...

Thanks for your inputs :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Doolop

by Doolop

Use the 11 speed chainrings, they are exactly the same and will shift great.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

I have mounted Stronglight Ct2 50-36 10 speed in these cranks with group Di2 11
I guess they work right with group Sram

AntonioAraujo

by AntonioAraujo

Doolop wrote:Use the 11 speed chainrings, they are exactly the same and will shift great.

SRAM says they have "a different alligment and eill causa shifting problems"...

Are you 100% sure they are the same? Because I would be very happymif I could use them :)

AntonioAraujo

by AntonioAraujo

Ritxis wrote:I have mounted Stronglight Ct2 50-36 10 speed in these cranks with group Di2 11

With or without chain catcher?

stormur

by stormur

Had Stornglite CT2 10spd , Miche Super 11 on Force 22 … work perfect. Had for few days FSA 40€ 10spd crank on Force 22 - all was fine.

from practice, there's no incompatibility between 10 and 11 spd chainrings.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

bfno

by bfno

Go a set of Praxis, can't go wrong and they say they are suitable for 10/11 speed.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm with @doolop on this. I'm not saying that SRAM didn't make some kind of change, but I'd agree that the 11-speed rings will work fine on a 10-speed setup. Manufacturers have fudged over the compatibilities in order to sell more product.

What is not always understood is that the inner width of a 10 and 11-speed chain is the same. The change involved slightly thinner side plates and slightly shorter pins. In other words the interface between chain and chainring is the same in both cases.

Nor has anyone shown that there's any difference in chainring spacing between 10 and 11.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Ritxis

by Ritxis

AntonioAraujo wrote:
Ritxis wrote:I have mounted Stronglight Ct2 50-36 10 speed in these cranks with group Di2 11

With or without chain catcher?

I have used Dura-ace CN-9000 chain with pin Shimano, now I have assembled a Shimano 105 CN-HG600 with KMC Missing Link 11, no problem with these 2 combinations

goodboyr

by goodboyr

bikerjulio wrote:I'm with @doolop on this. I'm not saying that SRAM didn't make some kind of change, but I'd agree that the 11-speed rings will work fine on a 10-speed setup. Manufacturers have fudged over the compatibilities in order to sell more product.

What is not always understood is that the inner width of a 10 and 11-speed chain is the same. The change involved slightly thinner side plates and slightly shorter pins. In other words the interface between chain and chainring is the same in both cases.

Nor has anyone shown that there's any difference in chainring spacing between 10 and 11.

+1000! I have repeatedly asked for what the difference in specs are between so called 10 speed vs 11 speed rings on various forums........no answer. Note that originally praxis rings were "10 speed". When 11 speed came out, all they did was re label them 10/11. No design changes. And they shift just fine. Rant over.

Rick

by Rick

I am using RED 22 on a 10 speed setup.
It works better than the prior Force 10 speed crank.

When researching it I remember reading that the 11 speed rings are the same, but are spaced slightly WIDER apart, due to the wider spacing of a 11 speed freewheel. So it actually gives better chainline on 10 speed too.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Ive got Praxis on my SRAM 20spd Red Exogram with the backwards mounting/rip the catch pin off fit detailed by prendrefeu.
Id say the shifting is 7/10, wheras SRAMs own rings were like 9 /10, it seems to now be more sensitive to cable tension wandering, dirty chain etc than before.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Rick wrote:I am using RED 22 on a 10 speed setup.
It works better than the prior Force 10 speed crank.

When researching it I remember reading that the 11 speed rings are the same, but are spaced slightly WIDER apart, due to the wider spacing of a 11 speed freewheel. So it actually gives better chainline on 10 speed too.

The freewheel spacing is less than 2mm difference. No way that would affect chainline.

AntonioAraujo

by AntonioAraujo

Thanks everyone for your very interesting posts, now I feel more confident buying new chainrings. I'll check prices on SRAM, Praxis and Stronglight to help me deciding.

Do you know if I can use the same chain (KMC X10SL with 56 links) or do I have to buy a new one for 1 or 2 extra links?
I want to upgrade from 50-34 to 52-36 with a 11-28 cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

The best shifting I've had is with Dura Ace, though it is not weight weenie. If you are willing to change both chainrings and cranks, since you have BB30, Cannondale Spidering and SISL2 cranks are very light weight and stiff. Shifting is close to Dura Ace. However is it not mid-compact. You have to go with 53-39. Praxis shifting is not as good as neithe DA nor SR but if you need help, Praxis customer service is awesome.