Best 52-36 chainrings for SRAM Red Exogram BB30 (10 speed)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

You can continue to use your 10-speed chain if it's in good condition. As for length, it totally depends on how it was cut previously. I'd re-install it and just make sure that the big-big combination works without anything breaking. So work up to it and check.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Qman

by Qman

I wonder if anyone has tried the Extralite MC chainrings? I know there are people running the RC2 on Exogram cranks, so MC's should work too. The RC2's shift nicely - I haven't had any issues with mine, but I'm not running Red. The MC's are only 98 grams, so they would save a lot compared to Red.

Rick

by Rick

goodboyr wrote:
Rick wrote:I am using RED 22 on a 10 speed setup.
It works better than the prior Force 10 speed crank.

When researching it I remember reading that the 11 speed rings are the same, but are spaced slightly WIDER apart, due to the wider spacing of a 11 speed freewheel. So it actually gives better chainline on 10 speed too.

The freewheel spacing is less than 2mm difference. No way that would affect chainline.

Well, I guess it affects it by ~2mm. :lol:

goodboyr

by goodboyr

If you can detect that, hats off to you......

Rick

by Rick

THE POINT is that the chainrings work, and IF THERE IS ANY DETECTABLE DIFFERENCE it is actually slightly better with the 11 speed crank spacing.

11 speed cranks work better on my setup than the 10 speed did. So I guess I could "detect it", although there were obviously other factors involved too.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I guess we are in rough agreement. There is no detectable difference to me, and to you if there is one, its a slight advantage the opposite way. In any case, I've actually tried to measure the difference including the one you describe and can't for the life of me find a measurable difference in dimensions between the two. And no manufacturer that I know has published said difference, beyond the qualitative descriptions already mentioned.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I'll just add one item to this discussion - don't use the Praxis rings if Sram Exogram are an option on a 10 speed set up.

I love the durability of the Praxis rings but they have a problem in that when on the small ring the chain will catch on the teeth of the big ring when in the 13, 12 or 11 tooth cog. (The Praxis rings are mount on pre Exogram Red cranks.) On the Sram Exogram rings the chain runs clear in all gear combinations. Originally I thought this was just due to the short wheelbase of my race bikes but the problem is the same on longer wheelbase cross bikes. I can't verify if the problem would persist with 11 speed as I have not (and will not) tried that combo. The Exogram shifting is also quicker and smoother then Praxis (though the Praxis shifting is still quite good).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

There is one measurement that I have found is consistently different. Shimano and SRAM rings are about 1.5 mm wider apart than non oem rings. In order to minimize the cross chain rubbing you describe, you can use chainring bolt spacers to give you that extra spacing on the praxis rings. FSA makes spacers in .5, 1.0 and 1.5 mm so you can test to see what works best.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I have extralite on 2 sets of exograms - no problems. They also benefit from having 2 locations for the catch pin which helps with the hidden bolt on the crank arm. Probably going to put MC on my Evo in the summer ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AntonioAraujo

by AntonioAraujo

Made my decision, I'm going for the SRAM 11 speed rings. Thanks everyone, you really helped me :)