Cannondale evo Hi-Mod 2014 vs Cervelo S5 2015

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mikeywoodland

by Mikeywoodland

Hi all, I was have a quick question as I need to get a new frame.

Bit of a sob story, over a year I saved up and built my dream bike (at the time, a Cannondale evo hi-mod 2014. It had eve 6.7 wheels, seat post, handlebar, zipp sprint sl stem, selle Italia carb seat, shimano ultegra. Pic below. Unfortunately someone stole it, along with my other road bike and my tt.

I'm looking at replacing it, and basically I'm looking at either a like for like (but pro vibe carbon handlebars), and di2 (combination of ultegra and dura ace), or a cervelo s5 with similar finishing kit.

Does anyone have any exp of the new 2015 s5? Weight comparison (I know I'm comparing it to one of the lightest games out there, and one of the best riding frames). Need to have a stiff front end as I do throw the bike around and descend fast.

I'm 6"2, 76kg, reasonable threshold power and sprint (not a sprinter tho), and will be doing road races and crit races on it. Also doing club tts on it as Training (used to do tts on my boardman tt which was also stolen, but as I can't afford to replace just looking for a bike that will be used in a road races and can use in tts as training). Wheels will be enve 4.5 or 6.7 type. Ride in the uk

Thanks guys!
Last edited by Mikeywoodland on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Svetty

by Svetty

Buy a pair of Boardmans - SLS and TT!
Should get a decent deal for buying 2 - near the price of the bike you're suggesting - and will be better as you do both road races and TTs.
Alternatively if you are set on one new bike get an aero frame so your TTS aren't too compromised?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mikeywoodland

by Mikeywoodland

Hi Svetty,

Thanks for the reply but I'm getting one bike to replace the 3 that were stolen for a few reasons, I have a v old training bike I can use in bad weather.

Main focus is road racing and crits, the tts are just training rides really. I'm looking at either the evo or s5, and was wondering if anyone's been on the s5 so can compare. Currently there's evos available for £1300, So I can't build a boardman to the same spec as the evo. Ignore the wheels as I'm not getting them with the budget. Also boardmans are good bikes but I'm not looking for one.

Svetty

by Svetty

As an EVO owner myself I can only reinforce your familiarity of what is a superb all-round frame. I've no experience of an S5 but purely from your comments suggesting crits and road races rather than Sportives/all day rides it would seem a better 'tool for the job' especially given the odd TT you plan to ride.
Sounds as if you need to arrange a test ride of the S5 (or a Venge/Foil etc?)

5DII

by 5DII

out of curiosity how did you get all your bikes stolen?

boots2000

by boots2000

I have been riding an S5 for 2 months.
Very fast bike.
You should consider it if it fits you well.

Mikeywoodland

by Mikeywoodland

5DII - I was targeted I think because I had roof racks on my car. They hit my immediate area and hit 3 houses, steeling from myself and another, and we're disturbed crowbaring the 3rd garage. They wernt interested in anything else (had my kitesurfing gear next2 my bikes.

Boots2000, is yours a 2014 or 15 version?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Supposedly the new s5s are better but you HAVE to test ride one. The older s5s were the worst bike I have ever been on. Actually, they are probably decent tt bikes but terrible road bikes.

Also, there have been very vague rumors that there will be a new (possibly aero) cannon dale coming out soon. Possibly something to consider