Mixing athena eps and record eps

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ash1

by ash1

Has anyone mixed the two groups components?

I have been acquiring some parts to upgrade my record groupset to eps. Initially i was planning on doing so with athena as the difference in weight between the eps groups is mainly in the brakes, cassette and crank.
The first part i bought was a new (secondhand) pair of athena eps shifters along with the dti unit (v1).

However, i had the chance to grab a record eps rear derailleur and power unit. So my direction has changed. But if its a possibility to mix the two and keep the athena shifters that would be ideal.

After reading up on the difference between the two sets they do not share the same connectors and apparently the polarity has been switched on the athena set.

So since i don't have warranty on the second hand parts i have, i want to modify them to work together.

I am hoping some electrical gurus out there can help me on this one.

Do I simply need to cut the plugs of the athena dti unit and record power unit and re-solder the positive to the negative and negative to the positive and happy days or, will i need to swap the other two inner wires?

For those who have electrical experience please forgive my lack of technical detail here, but any help would be much appreciated.

audiojan

by audiojan

You can't mix Athena with Record/Super Record... the connectors are different.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Sounds like a poor plan, trying to mash the connectors around. Just resell your s/h Athena parts which I'm sure will not be too difficult and buy the Record parts you need. Simples.

ash1

by ash1

Not wanting "mash" connectors together. Removing the connectors and direct solder.