Looking for a modern steel frame recommendations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Looking for some additional recommendations regarding builders of steel frames. Doesn't matter if it is custom or standard sizing. Doesn't matter if it is mass produced or artisan.

I am just looking for some options. Need something that would have Di2 in mind. English Cycles and Strong Frames are the two that I knew of and have been looking at. I know there are probably many others out there. If you could throw a few more my way to look at, that would be great. I am located in the USA by the way, so something in USA/Canada would be the most practical for me. Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rascal

by Rascal

-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Stoemper or Baum?
Using Tapatalk

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Cielo? Or go direct to Sycip Cycles.

However I think the holy grail is a custom Pegoretti.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Stanridge Speed Bicycles - does custom steel bikes or you could check out the 'off the shelf' brand he set up Wraith.

He's located in Ohio

http://www.stanridgespeed.com/bicycles/road/

53x12

by 53x12

Anyone know of a decent stainless steel frame that is economical? Say <$3000. I know Ritte has one that they are releasing.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

kfreytag

by kfreytag

53x12 wrote:Anyone know of a decent stainless steel frame that is economical? Say <$3000. I know Ritte has one that they are releasing.

I've got an Anderson that I love. Classic 1-inch steerer. Crowned steel fork with lugged construction.

His frame / fork combos start at $2,700. Worth a look.
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

stormur

by stormur

DeRosa Corum. Customizable. Fully. And stunning :) 2000€ frameset.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

jimborello

by jimborello

Check Repete cycles, they won best road bike at NAHBS and they are cheap (1800usd)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

You should have a look at Velocipedesalon -> Friday Night Lights and Smoked Out sections to get some inspiration. Or NAHBS boots from past years.

There are so much great builders and souls/minds it's difficult to say someone stands abover the others, and would be unfair to missing names.

My personnal favorite would be Amaro for a badass "stage race" no nonsense steel bike with attention to detail and "identity" but he is in Spain.

For a high level of customization, English, Zukas or Shand looks very "modern"/futurist if that's what you imply. Firefly would be the safe bet for the best attention do detail/modern racer in the US. But again, I might be unfair to dozens of nice builders.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

jimborello wrote:Check Repete cycles, they won best road bike at NAHBS and they are cheap (1800usd)

Nice, but they are in CZ Rep which would be an issue for the OP. Although it might be a good period to buy in EU with the currencies.

voodoojar

by voodoojar

I love my Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel. Based on ride quality It's probably my favorite bike I've ever owned and I will probably keep it forever.

53x12

by 53x12

kfreytag wrote:
53x12 wrote:Anyone know of a decent stainless steel frame that is economical? Say <$3000. I know Ritte has one that they are releasing.

I've got an Anderson that I love. Classic 1-inch steerer. Crowned steel fork with lugged construction.

His frame / fork combos start at $2,700. Worth a look.

Thanks. Look like he does good work. His stainless starts at $3500. Not terrible but would like it to be lower than that.

I don't really need custom geometry. If their stock geometry is good, I could use a stock one. Not sure if there are any decent stainless frames for under $3000 besides the Ritte?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com