Why BSA Bottom Bracket is much durable than pressfit BB?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I don't know about "negligence" but you certainly have to have it tight. And I'm not referring to Campy UT BB cups at all, those would be fine and you're right, they will not come loose because the bearings are not rolling directly against the cup shell. I'm referring to a generation, or two, before that where you might have loose bearings (cup and cone style) in the bottom bracket. Those are definitely susceptible to coming loose if the cups are not torqued very tight. I've seen more than one come loose just from riding, and yes, the shops who installed them clearly didn't install them tight enough in the first place. My point is, with English threads, they would never have come loose at all because of the directional forces involved.
Sorry, but the Italian threads for bottom brackets are just silly these days. There are no, and never were, any advantages to them. Other than being Italian, of course. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dumptruk

by dumptruk

I have two BB30 bikes. One is using a Wheels Mfg threaded BB30 -> BSA collar, the other are BB30 bearings pressed into the frame. Once the bb30 bearing bike starts creaking, I'm moving over to a Praxis system. The headache just isn't worth it. The Wheels Mfg BB bike has been super quiet since day one.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Calnago wrote:Sorry, but the Italian threads for bottom brackets are just silly these days. There are no, and never were, any advantages to them. Other than being Italian, of course. :)

Do you know why they were originally created?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I suspect it wasn't given a lot of thought except for maybe it was the standard way all threads were "meant to be"... righty tighty, lefty loosy. But with loose bearings rolling directly against the spindle and the cups (which were threaded into the frame), the rotation of the bearings against the cups could actually unscrew the cups out of the BB on the drive side. With BSA English threads the drive side was made with left hand threads, which eliminated that issue. Problem solved.

Today it doesn't really matter so much since the bearings aren't rolling around loose directly against the spindle and the cups. But there's no good reason to still be using them since the vast majority of bikes now are now made with either English threaded BB's or Pressfit concoctions using no threads at all. Problem created.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Calnago wrote:I suspect it wasn't given a lot of thought except for maybe it was the standard way all threads were "meant to be"... righty tighty, lefty loosy.

Although the reasoning is outdated now there was abit more to it than that in the days pre CNC.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Please explain further. I'd love to know the whole story.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I think the stiffness differences aren't necessarily as a result of the increased spindle width as it is the ability to widen the bottom bracket shell and improve stiffness of the frame junction around the bottom bracket. Hence BB86,BB90,BBright...

bikedoc

by bikedoc

Is stiffer better?
And how stiff do you need it?

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

What's the choices for high-end BSA frames?

My current metal bikes keep me happy enough, but for the n+1 rule (which would have to be carbon) what would be next?

I was tempted by a semi-bargain Cervello R5CA last year, but due to BBright decided against it.

Is half the problem threading carbon BB shells?

dave.chippie

by dave.chippie

Its not just longevity, my cheap Tifosi BB on my training bike is way smoother/spins much more freely than my hollowgram/bb30 setup.

fa63

by fa63

WeightySteve wrote:What's the choices for high-end BSA frames?

I think you pretty much have to go custom if you want BSA in a high end bike these days.

KLabs

by KLabs

Looks like we have been hoodwinked doesn't it or is it that we have been BBwinked :)

micky

by micky

Jeeeezzz....you guys are making me feel happy to be on my old no-creaky Canyon CF with BSA.

mattr

by mattr

WeightySteve wrote:Is half the problem threading carbon BB shells?
Yup, bonding in that threaded sleeve is a pain, and adds to process time, risk of warranty if it debonds (not so common these days).

Of course, if your pressfit creaks due to out of spec bearing seats, that's your fault. Or the shops.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Harmitc wrote:
Calnago wrote:Sorry, but the Italian threads for bottom brackets are just silly these days. There are no, and never were, any advantages to them. Other than being Italian, of course. :)

Do you know why they were originally created?

Don't know for sure, but I thought it had something to do with the easyness to tap the threads on the BB:
You just need your tapping device to enter the BB at one side, and you keep on tapping untill it comes out the other side.

In this way, you always have a perfectly straight BB in terms of the threads.
with some Square taper BB (like Phil Wood), you don't even need to face the BB as the cups are not pushing against the sides of the BB but just sport the threads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com