Was This a Stupid VeloNews April Fool's Prank?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The VeloNews website was carrying a report of a press conference with Campagnolo CEO, Valentino Campagnolo, where he was reported as saying that his company would never make disc brakes. Here's a supposed quote from their website:-

With all of the recalls and dangers that come with disc brakes, our efforts are better served developing a lighter, more travel-friendly corkscrew than to go through the headache of prototyping a disc-brake platform,” Campagnolo said, while demonstrating his company’s latest bottle-opening device at Le Pignole vineyards, just southwest of Vicenza, Italy.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/04/ ... ake_365127

If this was a VeloNews April Fool's prank we all know who's pocket VeloNews are in. What a sublimely stupid thing for the Editor of VeloNews to do. What a fool you are fella.
Last edited by Valbrona on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Harmitc

by Harmitc

What date is it?

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

I'm actually leaning more on the side of disc breaks as I live in an area with lots of hills and without disc breaks I don't feel very safe using carbon wheels as you never know if it's going to rain.

locktopus

by locktopus

Harmitc wrote:What date is it?

wingguy

by wingguy

More importantly, when's the new corkscrew arriving? :beerchug:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Another clue was this at the bottom of the article:
TAGS: April Fool

More interestingly, the Campy article is now gone, but http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/04/news/putin-nationalizes-tinkoff-saxo-eyes-katusha_365133 remains. Did Campagnolo force Velonews to delete the article? Valentino doesn't have a good sense of humor?

CanadianBiker wrote:I'm actually leaning more on the side of disc breaks as I live in an area with lots of hills and without disc breaks I don't feel very safe using carbon wheels as you never know if it's going to rain.
Let's hope your disc brakes do not break.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Probably for the best considering it posted seriously here and I had a few friends who ride Campy lament the announcement.

I mean this entire site is people taking The Onion seriously: http://literallyunbelievable.org/

Poe's Law and all that :lol:

wingguy

by wingguy

Funny, I showed a few people this article and said how refreshing it was to see a well written april fool that didn't go out of its way to announce in every sentence that it was an april fool because the publisher's too scared of actually tricking someone.

And now here's someone getting pissed off because they were tricked. Learn to laugh at yourself fella :thumbup:

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Over on RBR there were way too many people who took this seriously :roll:
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

LouisN

by LouisN

Too many people associating Campagnolo and ..."sacred religious symbols" :roll:

Louis :)

by 11.4

Time for people to get on their bikes and ride.

This and the one about USAC regulating gravel events -- the only two smart pranks on this day and they wouldn't be smart unless a few people fell for them.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Sensational :lol:

And the edits to go with it too :doh: :lol:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

And the moral of this story is ... don't aim an April Fool's prank at a commercial rival to a company that might/might not pay you money for advertising.

fa63

by fa63

wingguy wrote:Funny, I showed a few people this article and said how refreshing it was to see a well written april fool that didn't go out of its way to announce in every sentence that it was an april fool because the publisher's too scared of actually tricking someone.

And now here's someone getting pissed off because they were tricked. Learn to laugh at yourself fella

+1. I thought it was very well done also, especially the part about Italians preferring to brake slowly :D Pity if Campagnolo really got offended.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Valbrona wrote:And the moral of this story is ... don't aim an April Fool's prank at a commercial rival to a company that might/might not pay you money for advertising.

Nah, you just got had on the most obvious day of the year and are all bent out of shape about it :lol:

Cached article for anyone looking to read it:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Campy IS working on disc brakes as per this article: http://road.cc/content/news/96330-campa ... road-bikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com