Was This a Stupid VeloNews April Fool's Prank?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

We spoke to the factory about this yesterday as we did receive calls from a couple of concerned retailers as well as one particularly niaive journo, wanting a quote - they were already on it.

I don't think they were concerned so much as amused but given the reputation of Italian companies generally being more cautious about leaping onto the latest technical (commercial?) bandwagon, it was *just* believable, even though Valentino made an announcement in 2014 at the GF New York that Campagnolo had a disc-brake project, indicating that it was in the later stages of maturity (bearing in mind that they work up to 5 years or so ahead).

Having said that, we've not (yet) had a solid launch date, but it *is* coming.

My private, i.e. not Company opinion, is that in general disc brakes look hideous on a road bike and are totally uneccessary, as well as being a complete PITA for neutral race / event support - but then, I'm old-skool & from an era when we didn't need a set of "rules" on the internet to tell us how to behave ... :-) Maybe the Italians can make them look a bit prettier, to my eyes but I think it'll be an uphill struggle!
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If VeloNews don't get advertising revenue from Campagnolo ... they are not going to in the future. Not a clever way to run a publication.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

graeme_f_k wrote:.

My private, i.e. not Company opinion, is that in general disc brakes look hideous on a road bike and are totally uneccessary, as well as being a complete PITA for neutral race / event support - but then, I'm old-skool & from an era when we didn't need a set of "rules" on the internet to tell us how to behave ... :-) Maybe the Italians can make them look a bit prettier, to my eyes but I think it'll be an uphill struggle!

Old school, New school... Makes no difference then or now. Disc brakes are hideous on a nice road bike and indeed, unnecessary.
A sleeker wine cork remover would be kinda cool however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Calnago wrote:
graeme_f_k wrote:.

Old school, New school... Makes no difference then or now. Disc brakes are hideous on a nice road bike and indeed, unnecessary.
A sleeker wine cork remover would be kinda cool however.

Oh so true! [emoji106][emoji1]

basilic

by basilic

Valbrona wrote:If VeloNews don't get advertising revenue from Campagnolo ... they are not going to in the future. Not a clever way to run a publication.

valbrona, why not? the article was funny and well written, Campagnolo comes across as the epitome of fine italian living. Free ad if you ask me.