Pioneer Powermeter, real use case

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

The SGX-CA500 is wonderful, particularly the Wi-Fi upload feature. You press the timer stop button when you reach your garage, it connects to your home Wi-Fi and the ride is on Strava or TrainingPeaks by the time you get into the house. No need to ever bring the computer in and connect it to the PC.

One of the best features is that you can tap on any data field on any screen and it makes that field full-screen. For example, if you're doing HR intervals just tap on heart rate and you get a full screen display you can read easily even with max-effort tunnel vision, without creating a separate page just to have a big HR indicator for intervals. Put the time of day up in a corner of the main display in a tiny size, and just tap on it to make it full screen whenever you want to check the time. Tap it again to put it away. Very handy.

does it need to be uploaded to Pioneer’s Cloudware before saving the file to Golden Cheetah or can you take the file straight from the unit (a’la Garmin or mass storage).

The unit's designed so you never have to schlep it in and connect it to the PC (even the firmware updates over Wi-Fi), so you can't get rides off of it directly as mass storage, they do need to go to Cyclo-Sphere first, which is federated with Training Peaks and Strava. So if you're using Golden Cheetah you'd need to grab the ride from one of those three sites (Cyclo-Sphere, Training Peaks or Strava -- which have bulk download options).

GPS reception on the SGX-CA500 is significantly better than the Garmin (which is terrible on tree-lined roads in particular) but not as good as a phone GPS. For my TT bike I use a Wahoo RFLKT+ paired to an iPhone since the TT aero position tends to block the GPS signal for a computer mounted between the handlebars. With the RFLKT+ setup, only the display is between the handlebars, and the phone in the rear pocket of my skinsuit handles the GPS reception.

Rec-Mounts (a Japanese company who sells in the US on Amazon) makes an mount adapter for the SGX-CA500 which lets you use a single mount to host either the Pioneer or any other quarter-turn device, plus another device on the bottom such as a camera (but you have to use Rec-Mounts' quarter-turn mount, not a generic one). Search on Amazon for "rec-mounts pioneer" to see the various combo options.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

agravic

by agravic

I've had the Pioneer power meter since January and its reliable. The SGX-CA500 does not have bugs like my old garmin 500 or 510. Even if the battery dies, the ride is saved up until that point.

One issue worth mentioning

The distance and elevation uploaded to strava is almost always less than the distance recorded and uploaded to cyclosphere, garmin connect, or trainingpeaks. Strava has said its pioneers GPS data and yet the distances and elevation recorded on other websites with the same upload says otherwise. for example: 63.1mi ride uploaded to cyclosphere, garmin connect, training peaks all say 63.1 mi yet Strava says 60.4

I can't say GPS has been better than the 510. The garmin 510 has GPS and Glonass Sats. which i have yet to get drift. But the Pioneer only has GPS though better than the garmin 500 has had some drift which made me lose some good PRs.

Also for people that have the 910H. not the newly released 910H2 (similar in every way except a thinner module on each crank arm) doesn't yet have the switch Ant+ modes on the SGX-CA500. There is a firmware scheduled for August for the crank arms to enable that. The Pioneer headunits have the new update.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

With regards to programming in workouts - how does the Pioneer compare to a 810? As that's honestly the primary feature that is keeping me with my 810 (thin ice, I know).

agravic

by agravic

Tinea Pedis wrote:With regards to programming in workouts - how does the Pioneer compare to a 810? As that's honestly the primary feature that is keeping me with my 810 (thin ice, I know).

no ability to program in routes or workouts currently. That's one thing i miss from garmin.

if data is what you really want. I can't think of another power meter platform that has this amount of complete data for your entire pedaling stroke.

I have to admit, i'm still overwhelmed by the vastness of data but it has helped me improve my pedaling efficiency and form.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That's kind of bizarre. Having such a great training tool without the ability to program a workout in to it.

Is there a 'lap' function? As that is also what I use quite often on my Garmin (in both races and training).

agravic

by agravic

yes there is a lap function.

Jwab

by Jwab

A big limitation for me is that the computer does not display Normalized Power or TSS, which I like to see while I am training, not just when I get home and upload to my computer.

I emailed Pioneer and asked about adding this feature as a firmware update, but didn't get a straight answer from them. It's strange because the Cyclosphere website shows NP and Training Load, so you'd think they could have the computer calculate it too.

As others have said, the computer does have some nice features in terms of the touch screen and wifi upload. Also the pedalling analytics might be handy if I do another bike fit. But for me the lack of NP, TSS, navigation and workout guide means I still use my Garmin 500 most of the time.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

WonderSausage wrote:I've had a Pioneer for a few months. I also have a Quarq ELSA, an ELSA RS, a Stages and a Powertap Pro.

agravic wrote:I've had the Pioneer power meter since January and its reliable.

rOYk wrote:My past experience includes the use of Powertap, SRM and Power2Max.

Thank you guys. Your insights are really awesome. I've placed an order at my LBS and now waiting.

Hopefully they will be able to get me the newer version from pioneer and I will be able to use the patch type magnets instead of the old arm-type ones. The new version is also more compatible with BB mounted brakes. BTW pioneer has a conversion kit (according to http://pioneer-cyclesports.com/us-en/pr ... 910h2.html) for the old models so I'd ask my LBS if I were you.

The head unit also looks really good, but I just bought a gramin 510 so I'll stick with it for now and see.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Note that rOYk only moved to Pioneer due to a great deal (from P2M). I'm not poo pooing the unit, but guys I know who have the power meter have had issues. To the point where one is asking me about P2M. That's just my experience.

On the other hand, the same guys are why I'm getting a head unit to try. None of them can fault that part of the system.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Tinea Pedis wrote:Note that rOYk only moved to Pioneer due to a great deal (from P2M). I'm not poo pooing the unit, but guys I know who have the power meter have had issues. To the point where one is asking me about P2M. That's just my experience.

On the other hand, the same guys are why I'm getting a head unit to try. None of them can fault that part of the system.

I'm not questioning that there are better options out there, but I wanted to go with a L+R recording crank based solution that's available for shimano cranksets. That's itself is quite limiting, especially that I didn't want to spend too much. P2M is in my price range, but I would have to switch to FSA or Rotor cranksets and I'd rather stay with shimano.

Since Pioneer basically makes it possible to use the L or R side of the power meter as stand alone sensors with doubling the power makes it an unbeatable deal. Later I might separate the L / R sensors and install them on different bikes (noting my balance) or occasionally travel with just the left crank arm. Amazing idea.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Tinea Pedis wrote:On the other hand, the same guys are why I'm getting a head unit to try. None of them can fault that part of the system.

Would be keen to have a look see if you do get one Nick; the flip side if you decide to sell the Garmin let me know! :wink:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

nemeseri wrote:I'm not questioning that there are better options out there, but I wanted to go with a L+R recording crank based solution that's available for shimano cranksets.

I'd question what science you're basing that need off. But again, just me.

CulBaire - one is on its way. So one way or another, one of my head units will be for sale.

NoInterVention

by NoInterVention

I'm gonna drag this thread back up to see if anyone can help with an issue I'm having.

I've got the Pioneer paired to my Garmin in Power Meter mode, and I find the Left side will go to sleep after maybe ~5 minutes with no pedaling, which seems quick. This mostly screws me over right before a race while we're sitting waiting for the start. And if I try to search and re-calibrate it will give me a Failure - error 2 message. So it seems like the Left crank module is failing to reconnect to either the right module, or the Garmin after it goes to sleep, or the Left module isn't re-awakening properly after going into sleep mode.

Today, first the left side konked out which was annoying but I've just used Golden Cheetah to double the numbers in the past for a fairly good estimate. But then we sat around again before the start and the Right main module also died! So had to race a 12km hill climb with no power or cadence and definitely missed out on a new peak 20min power :(. Just to add insult to injury, on our training ride after the race I dropped my chain (for the first time with Di2, I might add) and knocked off the magnet! :noidea:

So any ideas where in the process the connection might be getting lost, or how to fix the Left side going to sleep so quickly? Solution thus far has been just to remember to turn the pedals a couple times every few minutes to keep everything awake. Any more elegant and/or permanent solutions? I can't find anything in the pioneer support documents.

fezi

by fezi

"Error 2" is insufficient battery power according to the pioneer manual.

Sbenzie

by Sbenzie

fezi wrote:I've had mine for a little over 2 months. So far its been reliable, gives numbers that match my other PM's but with a ton more data. Only issue is it seems to be battery hungry, 140hrs use and seen 2 sets of batteries so far. Head unit is fine for the data but the gps seems hit and miss on it speed wise. Pioneers cyclo-sphere has been pretty decent to use but I would like to see a non-cloud based version of it. Maybe wko+ 4.0 will be able to utilize the data in a similar fashion?

Interesting I saw this. My pioneer is totally hungry off batteries, the left unit starts switching itself on and off this losing data, after about 2-3 weeks use, and I have to change batteries too resolve... The pioneer head unit say 2.8 volts is still being output..

Have you seen this at all ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com