New frameset advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hoffy

by Hoffy

Hi everyone,
I am 17 year old from Australia and am looking to upgrade to a new carbon road frame. I am 68 kgs and 184cm tall. Looking for something a bit more stiffer in the bottom bracket and headtube than my previous frame, also with longer top tube/aggressive geometry for racing. I already have groupset, wheels etc from my previous bike. Also something compatible for mechanical groupset. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

What was your previous frame? Are you looking for an Aero or lightweight bike?

Hoffy

by Hoffy

My previous frame was basically a open mold chinese frame, branded under a small company. I am looking for something a little bit aero, but not over the top. About the weight, as long as the frame is light and stiff enough, as some of my racing events require the bikes to be weighed and reach the 6.8kg limit.

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

Incredible range in prices for frames you can go with a 2015 Cervelo R2 which is a decent frame for it's price all the way up to Scappa. I myself am looking at a C60 frame but I think if you are going Colnago the V1-R might be more up your alley. I'll let the pros chime in but I recommend you go to a few LBS and test drive a few.

I tested the Fuji Transonic and completely hated it, sadly I can't find a shop that will let me test the C60 if not I think I would of bought it already.

Hoffy

by Hoffy

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at spending at the max 1800 AUD. I find it hard to test the bikes as I live 400km away from any form of proper bike shop (the one in my town only sells recreational bikes)

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Your budget limits you quite a bit, 1800 aud= 1600usd/1000gbp??

Start looking for last years models, that sort of thing- super 6 eco hi mod frames are about £1400 here if you like a team paintjob.

Think the Trek Madone/Emonda 5 series frames are about £1000, 6's are £1300ish.

Other than them, i suspect you'll either be looking secondhand, or a generic sourced frame
Official cafe stop tester

Hoffy

by Hoffy

Yeah, my budget is a bit of a limiting factor, I could go up a little but not too much as I am still a student. I do like the idea of the cannondale though. Is there any difference between the hi mod and normal apart from weight. I still need the frame to be stiff enough for sprints as the last frame very flexy in the bottom bracket area and around the headtube

bfno

by bfno

I'd go second hand. In my experience there are a lot of good Aussie Facebook bike swap groups (Bicycle Market is probably the largest) where people sell just about everything for a reasonable price generally. Have a look on there as there are often pretty nice frames that are heavily marked down.
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

CanadianBiker

by CanadianBiker

BikeBug has a deal 40% off the SwiftCarbon Ultravox RS-1 Frameset it's a decent frame and is pretty stiff.

Features
1010g frame weight (size S)
Toray 700 and Toray 800 high-modulus carbon fibre filament frame
Full carbon PF30 bottom bracket (BB) shell
Asymmetric seat tube and chainstays maximise stiffness without compromising chainring and tyre clearance
Super-strong and stiff 7071 alloy derailleur hanger is designed to optimise mechanical and electronic shifting systems
Box-section head tube, down tube and BB boost power transfer
15% stiffer headtube improves sprinting and climbing performance
Slimline seatstays improve comfort
UCI approved
Built for maximum power transfer
High-modulus carbon filament frame
Refined decals to reduce weight
Specifications
Frame: Toray 700 & 800 Carbon
Sizes: XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL
Weight: 1010g (size s)
Wheel size: 700c
Headset: 1-1/8”-1.5” tapered, FSA No.42
Bottom bracket (BB): shell width (mm) 68mm
Bottom bracket (BB): Road BB-PF30
Seatpost size (mm): 27.2mm diameter
Seatclamp size (mm): 31.8mm diameter
Front mech mount type / clamp diameter: Direct Mount (braze on)
Dropouts (mm): 9mm quick release (QR)
Axle width (mm) 100mm (front) - 130mm (rear)
Brakes: Mechanical rim caliper
Shimano Di2 compatible: Yes
Cable routing: Internal

Hoffy

by Hoffy

Thanks bfno and CanadianBiker, I will post on bicycle market tonight and have a look to see whats around.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Check out BikeExchange. Have a look at some 2014 model frames like the Lapierre Xelius or the BH Ultralight or G6.

The Lapierres can be had for around $1300aud and the BH's for under $1500.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I'd recommend a Velocite Selene, sounds like it would fit your budget and needs perfectly. You can spend the rest of the money on a powermeter or wheels. It's honestly one of the best alloy frames I've ridden, it certainly is as good as carbon.

The Ultravox is a great frame too, but it's much more expensive than the velocite. I find that they're both very similar in terms of feel (both good for long days in the saddle) The velocite is heavier, and doesn't deal with large bumps as well as the ultravox but it's 95% of the bike at under 50% of the cost. If you can't afford the ultravox but want a very similar ride, the Selene won't disappoint.

I find myself riding my Selene more than my ultravox lately, especially for training. The Ultravox still gets tricked out on long, hard days, which is where it really shines compared to the Selene. For anything under 3 hours I find myself taking the Selene out. Both bikes are super stable at high speed and don't take much thought in terms of piloting (which is what I love about them). The Geometry on both bikes is very traditional (they don't slope much), so make sure you get the sizing right.

If this were my money, I'd buy the Selene and a powermeter. The Ultravox is nice, if you're just riding for fun it would probably be the better option, but if you're looking to get fitter and stronger the Selene will hardly hold you back and the powermeter is a must have.

For transparency: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I honestly believe the Selene will suit your needs. The Ultravox would too, if you've got the budget.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Hoffy

by Hoffy

Thanks istigatrice, wasn't looking at alloy, as my first ever road bike was alloy and was a bit of a nightmare due to a frame failure after a crash and wear, but i will definitely look into the Velocite. I live in country SA so the roads are pretty terrible, potholes and the lot, so would that frame handle them well over the carbon for shock absorbtion? Just snapped the fork of my track bike aswell so i will need to find a replacement for that haha!

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Another South Australian on the forum :) If you're down in Adelaide flick me a PM if you want to go for a ride.

The Velocite is as smooth as my Swift, however the Swift handles large bumps better. If you're riding on stuff like mildly cracked or chipseal surfaces it'll be much of a muchness, but you'll know about bigger holes/larger imperfections much more on the Velocite. Personally, I wouldn't say it's harsher, just more "solid-feeling" vertically. There's plenty of clearance for larger volume tyres on the Selene so you can run 25s/28s if you feel the need (FWIW I feel the 23s are more than adequate, but the roads you ride on might be very different).

If you've ever been through Gorge road, before they resurfaced it, The Swift was a real magic ride through there (Better than my Giant Defy Advanced). The bike didn't "isolate" you from the road, but it provided you with a good level of feedback, very reminiscent of a steel bike (except much stiffer). The Selene lets you know about the surface much more, but it's still far from a jarring ride. If you want a reference, it's *almost* par with my Defy Advanced, and much better than the Chinese carbon frame I've tried.

There's nothing wrong with alloy, it's cheaper to manufacture so some companies try to make it as cheap as possible (and the result is probably your previous experience with alloy). Velocite don't cut any corners with their Selene, it's more expensive than some of the Chinese carbon frames, and they offer a lifetime warranty, which is actually really similar to Swift's policy, and both offer a healthy discount on a crashed frame.

Again, I emphasise, if your goal is to improve, become fitter and eek every last second out a powermeter will be a much better aid than the most bling frame. Having said that, a bling frame (I find) motivates you to get out more, so if you're racing/riding for fun, and not to eek every last second out of yourself go for the bling frame.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com