C60 Owners I need your help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zulu695

by zulu695

personal opinion, but if you are to go with DISC, go custom for the wheel set. A lot more choice, Enve, Zipp, rims or whatever fits your need with a good set of disc hubs..Chris King or i9 or others.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Harmitc wrote:As has been don't said Colnago = Campagnolo.

Someone needs to tell Ernesto.

Anyhow, I've had at least one Shimano and one Campagnolo part on every bicycle back to the '80s, and the brands don't match police haven't caught up to me yet. And by the way, Time pedals on a Look frame, ha ha.

Technical compatibility regarding proper functioning is a different matter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

CanadianBiker wrote:This really sucks that Campi doesn't have a disc wheel, I did not know that not all wheels fit on disc frames.

Yep, fundamentally the wheels need to have the fittings for a disc rotor to be bolted on and space outside the hub flange for the rotor to sit. Putting those on a normal wheel would be a needless compromise in weight and performance. Plus of course on the disc wheel you don't need a brake track on the rim.

At this point though I think your LBS are the best people to explain what your options are and what compatibility issues you face.

aguycalledsimon

by aguycalledsimon

showdown wrote:First off, ignore everything everyone has said about what to buy with your money and put on your bike- it's your bike, do whatever you wish.

Generally, it's a good idea to keep your drivetrain all one brand, brakes can be swapped out but at this point the big three make such good brakes that unless you're building some crazy boutique bike or ultra featherweight you'd be wise to stick with the stock offerings. Wheels, like bikes have unique characteristics that may or may not fit with you or the bike so you're best off trying out a bunch if you can before you buy anything... Everything else (saddle, bars, stem etc...) are totally idiosyncratic and none are necessarily better or worse than others- just different; lighter, cheaper, more expensive, painted, raw etc...

Now, onto the question you asked.

I currently race a C60/Di2/Mavic CCU and simply love it. I came from a C59 with the same setup and from that I was on an M10 with SRAM Red and Zipps and prior to that a CX-1 with Sram Red and Zipps. Before our team went with Conago we had Treks and Orbeas and I've ridden Giants and other brands as well. By far the C60 is the nicest bike of the lot though the 59 is a very close second if not tied.

The bike is most certainly comfortable. I'm 34 so the fatigue isn't a big issue but when I do 6 hours on the bike inevitably it wears on me. With the 60 the cumulative wear and tear on the body is significantly less which makes riding enjoyable and recovery easier. The bike is also dream to take through descents and other technical roads as well as criterium racing. The bike tracks so well and when properly fitted so balanced that I can take off a jacket or vest in a race and not worry about any shimmy at all. During a week in the mountains I discovered the true beauty of Colnago's geometry- downhill they are so damn confident, so predictable and so stable you can push harder, go faster and get closer to the line without crossing it. Diving into corners at speed never worries me on the 60 like it did on other bikes. It's a beautiful bike and rides fantastically. Don't buy it if you want something that's "aero" or featherweight or wound up. Also, don't test ride one unless you plan on buying it as you won't want to give it up.

And most important- take everything people tell you with a grain of salt.

Also, have fun- building a dream bike is so much fun!!

Fantastic response - first 2 paragraphs should be a sticky!

Also second the comments around how planted the bike feels when descending - my old C50 was pretty good in that area, but the C60 just feels so solid and predictable - love it. Whatever way you spec it, I think you will end up loving it

Jaroslaw

by Jaroslaw

Another idea would be to get the wheels you like and get rid of the logotypes if possible.
Unless you don't like "no-name" components on your bike :)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Reynolds have released a slew of disc compatible wheels too.

They make a great match with Di2.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

CanadianBiker wrote:Sorry not trolling, new to biking been only riding for a year, my reasoning for a disc is I live in an area with lots of hills and if I dont want to get caught in the rain with carbon wheels and no disc brake.

I guess I will have to rethink my build as it seems I am building a Frankenbike.

I still want a C60-Disc just going to keep doing research on other components.

Also I wouldn't say Stupid but I am a Neophyte when it comes to much of this stuff, hence why I am asking for advice and pictures of previous builds.

Non-sense. Pretty dumb to build a bike based on other people's perception of aesthetics. If you like Shimano, then get Shimano! And if you like Campy wheels and Shimano group set or vice versa then again its your bike.

I have a C-59 with Shimano, got some of this feedback when I first got my bike, its pretty juvenile if you ask me.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels