THM Clavicula vs AX Morpheus vs Storck PowerArm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

I've just got a Morpeus from Axlightness, adding the the fleet of THMs and Storcks I have.

This is in no way a comprehensive review, barely my observations. So treat it that way...

First the AX. No doubt, it is the best looking one. It is 28 gr lighter than THM. It feels unbelievably light. It's length is 170 or 172.5 or 175 (depending on the insert.) Feels stiff. And the best part, you can get a bb30 spindle (I like my Cannondale.)
Now the bad part; it is light! Sorry I do not know why but when I hold it in my hands, it didn't feel as solid as THM. I know I cannot tell 28gr difference. So, I cannot explain it...
The inserts are good and bad. Yes you can adjust the length, but they are hard to put in and harder to take back out. AX's recommendation is to screw a pedal in half way through and lightly tap with a hammer. Ouch! BTW, the end where inserts go in seems to have only a thin carbon part. Long term, I do not know how long it'll last.

Next, THM. Everybody likes it, including me. Light, stiff, and good looking. Available in the USA (big plus for me.) Can I say anything bad about them? Not really, except one; you cannot use it with BB30.

I'll switch to Storck PowerArm now. It is made by the THM, it looks like THM, it is as stiff as THM, it is THM! If one takes the writings on it off and paint Clavicula, he'll fool everyone. There are a few differences from THM; the spindel is not carbon (it is some gray material), and the end cap is different (the whole thing screws, unlike the THM's screw+the metallic piece. I do not know what tool to use to screw it in and measure the torque. So I use a coin. Yep, it sounds weird, but...)

One awesome thing about Power Arm, they last a long time. I have one I bought a few years ago. It still looks & performs like new. Best part, people do not know about them. So, it's price is cheaper than Clavicula (hence I bought a second one standard size. That's how much I like them.)

Bottom line, if you want lightest best looking crank out of these three, go with Morpheus. However, keep in mind, it's been discontinued by AX, and I do not know how long the one I have will last.

If you want something reliable, good looking, long lasting, go with Power Arm. It is cheaper than Clavicula and it is Clavicula.

newforker

by newforker

Nice little review..

Clavicula will technically work with BB 30.. but sort of defeats the spirit of BB30 as it doesnt have a 68 mm spindle...

https://fairwheelbikes.com/thm-road-bot ... e89e4c5b0b

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

desperado95219

by desperado95219

Newforker is correct. I have a clavicula with BB30.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I just got a clavicula and I'm going to use it w/ pf30. I love that the cranks can be used w/ just about any of the BB offerings out there today.
Speedplay is the devil!

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I've had my Clavicula on BB30 for 2 years. No problems installing.

Just that you need a the appropriate mount adapters. I asked my local machine shop to make a custom one.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I stand corrected. Last I checked was 1.5 years ago (that is the last Clavicula I bought). Maybe I didn't see it...

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you can't go wrong with the powerarm. it is a fabulous crank, solid, and light. the clavicula is also very good, just harder to service because sometimes it pulls the bearing off when you remove the crank. with powerarms, no such problem.

TALEO

by TALEO

i have over 15k miles on my storck powerarms and not a single problem

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com