Garmin 810 or 1000 for phone connectivity

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Hello all,

I currently use a Garmin Edge 800 and believe it is has the perfect size/features for a cycling computer. I just got very tempted to upgrading to one of the newer models that offer Bluetooth pairing with a mobile phone.

The nature of my job requires me to answer my clients’ calls even when riding. I usually have the phone in the back pocket of my jersey; when it rings, it gets rather annoying to slow down, grab the phone, see who’s calling, decide if it needs to be answered or if it can wait etc.

Having the possibility of being able to see this on the Garmin screen without grabbing the phone, is a great feature.

Does the 810 have this? Or should I get the 1000? The paired phone would be either iOS or Blackberry

User feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

810 doesn't have this feature on the current official software.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I don't think the 810 does text/missed calls
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

IchDien

by IchDien

iWatch?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I believe Garmin 810 will blue-tooth/sync with Garmin connect but nothing else.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

Even if the 810 did it, the 1000 screen is better for stuff like this so I would just get the 1000. Bigger, screen, more resolution.

jimwhimpey

by jimwhimpey

IchDien wrote:iWatch?

Agreed.

Apple Watch is going to destroy the need for feature like this on a Garmin. Looking forward to getting a much simpler bike computer when the Apple Watch comes out.

jerbax18

by jerbax18

i think magellan cyclo 505 have this feature

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Buy a 1000, the larger screen is nice. I went from an 800 to a 1000 and love it, can display up to 10 fields and still be easily read. As for the iWatch, you dont ride in the rain? Personally I cant stand wearing a watch when I ride.
Using Tapatalk

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Nefarious86 wrote: Personally I cant stand wearing a watch when I ride.

Same here.

sm4100

by sm4100

I bought the Edge 1000 for the same reason but I must say the device does not vibrate or make any sound loud enough for me to notice the calls and messages coming in so I miss most of them when riding. You can't ride looking at the screen all the time checking if the calls or sms are coming so this function is for me useless. The only way I deal with it is using a bluetooth headset like Jaybird bluebuds so you can answer your calls while riding or if you want sms too then go for the Forerunner 920XT which is a bike computer on your wrist with calls and messages notification and vibrates immediately when you receive anything on your phone.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

sm4100 wrote:I bought the Edge 1000 for the same reason but I must say the device does not vibrate or make any sound loud enough for me to notice the calls and messages coming in so I miss most of them when riding. You can't ride looking at the screen all the time checking if the calls or sms are coming so this function is for me useless. The only way I deal with it is using a bluetooth headset like Jaybird bluebuds so you can answer your calls while riding or if you want sms too then go for the Forerunner 920XT which is a bike computer on your wrist with calls and messages notification and vibrates immediately when you receive anything on your phone.

Phone set to loud with appropriate ring tone? I find the Chris King hub sound from Zedge is loud as fk with my Note3 as is the Archer "Mulatto butts" if you're a fan lol.
Using Tapatalk

Svetty

by Svetty

I ride to get away from work not to take it with me :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

keith

by keith

Svetty wrote:I ride to get away from work not to take it with me :D

Change your job :lol:
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;