Bora 35 Ultra, Zipp 202, Zipp 303 or LW Meilenstein ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrgray

by mrgray

thanks 2old4this.

got right into this last night and now understand what you mean about the 36 tooth rachet. i think i'll give ceramics a shot along with the 36T and the SL freehub body. i'm not sure i will mess with the front though.

sorry to steal this thread but Tony M, still waiting for you to tell us what you ended up doing. sorry if it is already elsewhere.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

TonyM

by TonyM

mrgray wrote:thanks 2old4this.
sorry to steal this thread but Tony M, still waiting for you to tell us what you ended up doing. sorry if it is already elsewhere.

I finally went for the LW Meilenstein SchwarzED (with ceramic from CeramicSpeed).
Now almost 3500 km with these, also in the mountains (I live in Switzerland) and absolutely no problems. But to be 100% in the safe side, and as I run these as clinchers, I however make some stops in the descents and take pictures etc... to wait for them cooling down. In total a really nice wheelset. Just very expensive. A very responsive wheelset. Good braking (only use these when it is dry however. I have for rainy days and if necessary in the mountains a pair of Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite (like the Campa Shamal). But not sure they are really much much better than the Bora 50 Ultra (also with Ceramic bearings). I just wanted to go for the top and not think for a few dollars more I could have bought the LW. The 47,5 mm rim height is really ok in the mountains except if you have really strong side winds. Then you have to be careful. I don't regret to have these 47,5 (almost 50) instead of the small 35mm. More aerodynamic and better looking. I have hitten some potholes and all ok. I have however taken the replacement insurance (3 years) in case.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrgray

by mrgray

i am very interested to hear that you got the LW's and you sound very happy. that's good! i have these albeit in tubs and they are great. i would have thought however that you might feel stronger about them in wind, especially in the mountains. i have been made to feel nervous but on reflection, perhaps, as someone else indicated elsewhere, the really scary part is when we have wind and screening from it which is non-continuous. a hedgerow for example, or in my case, buildings and then a street coming in from the side which aligns with wind direction.

i've hit one tremendous pothole (first ride!) and no problems whatsoever. even breaking is great now with ee brakes and perhaps a better setup than i had previously with my SR brakes. although that's not in the rain!
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

soberhawk

by soberhawk

Some of my friends said to me that the bora one has a great performance in climbing and it is like all rounder wheel set.
If you wanted to try all rounder, i suggest you to try 303 than bora one due to much aeroer than bora one.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

For the money, the Bora 35 have got to be the best
But for performance, the LW Meilenstein are in a league of their own - just wish I was a good enough climber to see the benefit from the Gipfelsturms!

sawyer

by sawyer

soberhawk wrote:Some of my friends said to me that the bora one has a great performance in climbing and it is like all rounder wheel set.
If you wanted to try all rounder, i suggest you to try 303 than bora one due to much aeroer than bora one.

It's not really apples with apples there ... the Bora 35 comparator in Zipp's range is the 202 (32mm vs 35mm)

303s are a direct competitor to Bora 50s

FWIW from my experience of both I'd go for Bora 35s but there isn't much in it.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

sorry to band wagon on this thread but needing some advice on a similar dilemma

finishing off a new build... it started as a frame swap but this quickly escalated once i got clearance from the better half for the frame swap :-)
Anyway so i've decided to streamline my wheelsets down to just 1 set for reasonable weather everyday training and sportives in the northeast UK (usually 2-2.5k of climbing) and then another set (that i already have) for bad whether and climbing that might involve >2.5k of climbing (stans 340 + DTS 180)

it's my first foray into full carbon. I weight 67-68kg and have no intention of racing etc etc. I've narrowed it down to the below. going clincher as not used tubs and despite an increasing minority suggesting can be used everyday don't want to look like the gimp unsure what what to do when punctured and latex cant fix. not sure she loves me enough to be my support car sadly...

zipp 303 - seems to get fantastic reviews nice balance of aero though at 1625g ?? on the heavy side does the aero make up for this over the course of the ride?
Zipp 404 - probably overkill for everyday purposes
Bora one 35 - nice and light and ?could do with more aero if just having one wheelset especially with them being a bit wider
Bora one 50 clincher - nice weight and with wider rim seems to make it more stable -this is the top runner for me.
Bora ultra 35/50 -- would love these but guess mostly for bling factor and not sure an everyday wheelset and if offer much more than the 'ones' for the money plus i suppose one has to factor in replacing rims if damaged.
Enve 3.4 /4.5 - considered but out of budget.
n/b Also considered the Vittoria Qurano 46 but the clincher version not out for a few months - the tubs have got good reviews though would've been top runner if available as is also tubeless ready

At present realistically down to 303s and bora one 50s. Any advice from folk whom have ridden the above for comparison would be most helpful i know i've priced myself out of a few above but if they are so good worth saving for then i'd probably consider that. What surprised me is how the RRP for the zipps are on par with the Ultras - are the zipps really that good or are campagnolo actually value for money?!

Thanks guys

mimason

by mimason

I agree with your logic on the two wheelsets. The 2nd set should be aluminum clinchers so lots of options there.

Regarding 303s vs BO50s. I think is comes down to budget and addressing what is the most important to you. I suspect the 303s to be slightly more aero and better in crosswinds and that is all. The Bora One 50s are lighter, stiffer, better hubs and represent a value like no other wheelset IMHO...and they look amazing. For 1500US there is nothing comparable unless you are looking for wheels that provide good aftermarket repairs and replacement.

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

mimason wrote:I agree with your logic on the two wheelsets. The 2nd set should be aluminum clinchers so lots of options there.

Regarding 303s vs BO50s. I think is comes down to budget and addressing what is the most important to you. I suspect the 303s to be slightly more aero and better in crosswinds and that is all. The Bora One 50s are lighter, stiffer, better hubs and represent a value like no other wheelset IMHO...and they look amazing. For 1500US there is nothing comparable unless you are looking for wheels that provide good aftermarket repairs and replacement.

thanks that's really helpful - it's interesting you think the 303s are more aero even though shallower - probably the width i guess. it's a shame with the weight difference for the clinchers really. in the UK there are a few deals where they are actually the similarly priced now.

tikka

by tikka

Have both zipp 303 and Bora 50's. I weigh 63 kg and ride in the Surrey hills. Never had a problem with side winds with the Boras, although you could say zipps are a bit more 'gentle' in gusty winds. My typical 100km route will average a speed of 31-32km/h, at my cruising speed of say 34km/h there is really no noticeable difference in terms of aerodynamics between the two. Bora build quality is superior to the zipps. Both are great wheels though!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

tikka wrote:Have both zipp 303 and Bora 50's. I weigh 63 kg and ride in the Surrey hills. Never had a problem with side winds with the Boras, although you could say zipps are a bit more 'gentle' in gusty winds. My typical 100km route will average a speed of 31-32km/h, at my cruising speed of say 34km/h there is really no noticeable difference in terms of aerodynamics between the two. Bora build quality is superior to the zipps. Both are great wheels though!

thanks for that. Emerging trend is for the boras. just to double check your comment about your 100km route did you mean that one or the other of the wheels is faster? you seemed to go straight on to your cruising speed and wasn't sure if i missed something... not that it matters averaging >20 mph over 50miles is currently a pipe dream!! Hoping for a good winter :-)

tikka

by tikka

I guess what I meant to convey is that for my predominant style of riding, I.e. 3 hours at a fairly even pace, I can't tell the difference in aerodynamics between the two. Results may vary for those that ride faster, slower, or with more variability within a ride.

Bely

by Bely

I vote bora 35s ultra - even though personally don't have it! ;)
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

LenJ

by LenJ

I have the Bora 35's. Bulletproof, light, great braking. Couldn't be happier.

YMMV

Len

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Granfondo2014

by Granfondo2014

lol the ultras would be nice wouldn't they... i think for a one wheelset situation i'd be fearful of taking them out often which takes the fun out of riding i guess. given the 50s are fatter now and can probably handle winds better wasn't sure much point going with the 35s and limiting the aero potential... if i ever get good enough