Bora 35 Ultra, Zipp 202, Zipp 303 or LW Meilenstein ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Harmitc

by Harmitc

I would be surprised if a new Obermayer or Meilenstein was significantly different in shape. The reason the wheel works so well weight vs stiffness is the shape is optimising the advantages of carbons properties. The spokes pull straight and are bonded flat to the inside of the rim. So minimal material is required to reinforce. The moment you start to curve the rim shape you lose this property and more material will be required to achieve the same result. You've summarised the aero advantages well. So much of it is you on the bike. I live in a country where hedgerows are common. In crosswinds you'll be riding along in the protection of the hedge then you reach a gate and the crosswind hits you. That's the only time I've had a real problem. But it was the same on Bora 50's. I think you've done enough research now where you need to buy with your heart and your wallet and what looks right on your bike. At this level they are all good!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phollingswo

by phollingswo

For the love of god do not spoil a Colnago C60 with SR by putting a set of Bontrager rims on, because you can get them now.

BE PATIENT. Your Fulcrums are a decent wheelset which are fine in the mean time. You've got a dream bike, so just wait for the dream wheelset. Call up some campagnolo dealers and get a firmer idea of when the Boras will be delivered. But don't settle for something less because you want it now.

I guarantee (not a money back guarantee) that the boras will be worth waiting for. Is it the tubular or the clincher version you're after? Because the tubular is in stock in quite a few places...

Edit: Jedi sports says the clincher version are in stock too. Delivery 2-7 days.

TonyM

by TonyM

The Bontrager are not an option for me as I prefer the Bora 35 8) Still always good to look at alternatives :evil:

Yes, Jedi has sent me an email yesterday stating that they will receive a batch of Boras Clincher by the end of the week.
Still not decided yet if Bora 35 Ultra or LW Meilenstein SchwarzED :roll:

TonyM

by TonyM

Zipp are not an option for me anymore due to the quality of the hubs :shock:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130875

sawyer

by sawyer

hi - to be fair that was an older hub, though generally they seem to be less fit and forget and in particular have a rear play issue that annoys a lot of people

Against that they roll very well on high end bearings (whether real or imaginary benefit)
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

TonyM

by TonyM

Maybe why LW uses a DT Swiss 190s as rear hub :wink:
The DT Swiss hubs are known as good and reliable 8)
A ceramic bearing kits from DT Swiss will be soon available as I saw. Otherwise the CeramicSpeed bearings can be used.
Or the LW Meilenstein SchwarzED with the CeramicSpeed bearing already fitted.

TonyM

by TonyM

Ok I decided to go for the LW Meilenstein schwarzED :-)

I have otherwise still an alu wheelset Fulcrum racing Zero Nite.

Does it make sense to have also a pair of Bora35 or Bora 50 or Zipp303 on top ? What do you think ?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think you're crazy to be going with Lightweights if you're going clinchers and want to use 25mm tires with them. They have one of the most narrow inside profiles of all. While they may say you can use 25mm clinchers with them, it is far from an ideal match. I think a wider rim profile is especially important if you want to use wider clinchers. Not so much with tubulars as long as you can get a good bond and rim to tape interface.

But at least perhaps if you get the Lightweights tomorrow, you won't start any new threads about the boras or other choices you're trying to make. One thread would have been fine for all this. :lol:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

Calnago wrote:I think you're crazy to be going with Lightweights if you're going clinchers and want to use 25mm tires with them. They have one of the most narrow inside profiles of all. While they may say you can use 25mm clinchers with them, it is far from an ideal match. I think a wider rim profile is especially important if you want to use wider clinchers. Not so much with tubulars as long as you can get a good bond and rim to tape interface.

But at least perhaps if you get the Lightweights tomorrow, you won't start any new threads about the boras or other choices you're trying to make. One thread would have been fine for all this. :lol:

...and I thought I had made my choice.... :D :evil: ....yes indeed the narrow rims of 20mm don't match ideally with the 25mm tires.
I do indeed would like to run on the 25mm tires after I spend the winter also on 25mm tires (Vittoria Open Pavé CG 25mm on "very" old Mavic Ceramic 1st Gen with 20mm rim I think). They are far more confortable than the 23 mm indeed. And at my age this counts also... :lol: :lol: So as I am not racing (so sharp cornering etc...) it should be ok, don't you think so ?

(or do you want to tell me to go for the new Bora Clincher and forget the LW? :roll: )

mrgray

by mrgray

TonyM, I've just read these two threads and I am wondering what you did? And how has it worked out for you?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

audiojan

by audiojan

I have experience with the LW, but between the Zipp's and the Bora 35's, I would pick the Bora's any day of the week. The 2015 with the wider rim just rides amazing and the bearings even in the Bora One's are absolutely amazing.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

2old4this

by 2old4this

No experience with Bora 35. Between LW and Zipp, I'd go with LW. But keep in mind, this is coming from a guy with a few LWs so I might be teeny bit biased :-) If you are going to go with LWs, definitely SchwarzED. It really spins very very nice. BTW, do not forget to replace the 18T ratchets with 36T ones...

mrgray

by mrgray

2old4this - do you think those ceramic speed beatings make that much difference? i like reading about bike stuff so have consumed my fair share of hyperbole. ceramic speed bearing kit for LW wheels is 439 euros which is a bunch of money. they say "you will feel the difference immediately".

will I?
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

mrgray

by mrgray

as always the search function finds others have been there and done that

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82785

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=119927

basically they seem to be saying
1. rear might be worth it, front probably not (spins pretty good as it is) - this accords with my observation when servicing the bike. front spins forever. rear is stuck-ish
2. LW people have specified the bearing required for rear
3. an aust company (HSC) does the same thing as ceramic speed pretty much but cheaper.

i'll give HSC a go and report back. can anybody recommend the best way to actually test difference. i am extremely easy to influence and hence the placebo effect could overpower all.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

2old4this

by 2old4this

mrgray wrote:2old4this - do you think those ceramic speed beatings make that much difference? i like reading about bike stuff so have consumed my fair share of hyperbole. ceramic speed bearing kit for LW wheels is 439 euros which is a bunch of money. they say "you will feel the difference immediately".

will I?

I have a SchwarzED and a normal Meilenstein. The normal one has the older ceramic bearings from DT. I spinned them both on truing stands side by side, several times. SchwarzED always spinned more. I took the bearings off of the old one and re-greased them. Still SchwarzED won.

I have the normal one for about two years now. So the ceramic balls might be going bad (though honestly I doubt so. My bikes do not get more then 8/900 miles a year. I have a few... :wink:) Nonetheless, I took the freehub body with the DT ceramic bearings off, and put on a standard 240 freehub body. That one also spins less then SchwarzED.

Is any of this scientific? No. But my buttometer says the bike rolls longer. Is it worth it? I think it is a personal decision.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com