Rain Jackets - Assos Sturmprinz Evo vs Rapha Pro Team Race C

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Anyone used these? Looking for a jacket to wear when out on wet days rather than something to carry in case.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Assos have a long history in the sport and make all their stuff in their own factory. Rapha is just outsourced and overpriced Far East crap.

Etxe Ondo everytime ... every bit as good as Assos but without the Swiss price premium.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have the Sturmprinz, not EVO though, what's the difference except maybe a little hi-vis tab. It's an awesome jacket. The pass through (to your jersey pockets) vents at the back are really nice. Fits really well, providing you don't have thick arms. Not really a "fit in your jersey" type jacket however so plan on wearing it the whole ride. Even though I got it for cycling I find myself wearing it even more just around town. And have never had a jacket that more people have commented on and asked where I got it, not even cyclists. For that reason, it's exorbitant price tag almost seems justified. Very nice bit of kit. I liked it so much I even got the knickers but truth is, I wear those very very rarely. They're more for if I'm on a trip or something and it's pouring rain all day and I have no choice but to ride in it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

IME Etxeondo jackets are not "every bit as good as Assos", not even close.
A jacket is something that may last for many seasons. Assos would be my choise. Totally worth the money (I have an 851).

yongkun

by yongkun

Assos without a doubt - it looks and wears so much better than the rapha piece. Got the rapha one through a sale, comes in cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Assos, no question!

kode54

by kode54

i have the Sturmprinz. i also have the rain booties which are same type of material. love them both. keeps me drier than my Rapha Hardshell. the Sturmprinz has a slew of different elastic bands that then to stretch in different ways, so not to choke you. keeps everything sealed up and makes for a leakproof jacket. some rain does get in...but works better IMHO.

oh, just to add (edit), i sized up one. i normally ride M all the time, but with the Sturmprinz, i fit the L rather well. or maybe i should have gotten the M and wore it even tighter...but it allows me to wear whatever underneath regardless.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Svetty

by Svetty

Another vote for the Sturmprinz - best rain jacket I've ever owned by a margin

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I know the Sturmprinz isn't that foldable. That said will it roll up enough to go in a jersey pocket?

Horizons

by Horizons

^I second this

As much as i love Rapha (i own and wear a lot of their stuff), Castelli just knocks it out of the park with their jackets.

I'd go for the Muur or Pocket Liner, they're like half the price and just as good (if not better).

phollingswo

by phollingswo

I have a friend who gets me a pretty hefty rapha discount, which make their products financially more attractive than some of the other brands. Accordingly, I've just ordered the new Pro Team Softshell jacket. Will take some pictures, and give it a spin next weekend (forecast rain) and give you guys some feedback.

torinb

by torinb

I have read a lot of rainjacket tests. Gore Alp-X seem to be the only jacket that is both waterproof and really breathable.

TonyM

by TonyM

Horizons wrote:^I second this

As much as i love Rapha (i own and wear a lot of their stuff), Castelli just knocks it out of the park with their jackets.

I'd go for the Muur or Pocket Liner, they're like half the price and just as good (if not better).

The Muur and the pocket Liner are slighty different in terms of cut and the Pocket Liner have these strech zones.
For my shape the pocket liner fitted better. Best is to try both. In best case the Muur fits as it is indeed half the price of the pocket liner,

Svetty

by Svetty

ultimobici wrote:I know the Sturmprinz isn't that foldable. That said will it roll up enough to go in a jersey pocket?

Yes it's as foldable as most other 'non-micro' rainjackets and fits easily in a standard 'middle' jacket pocket

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com