Ax Lightness 1000 Saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Anyone have feedback to share re: this saddle? Looking to replace an AX Leaf saddle with a lighter one and the AX 1000 comes to mind. I have the Berk saddle on another bike and find that to be comfortable -- but the AX 1000 is about 13 grams lighter than the Berk, and about 21 grams lighter than the Leaf. I know it's crazy and probably irrelevant to some in terms of weight savings -- but thought I'd ask anyway since this is the WW forum.

Appreciate any feedback.

kode54

by kode54

i think if your current saddle fits and its comfortable, why mess with the shape just to save 13-21 grams. not worth it IMHO.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

If you do a 1000 vertical meter climb then 12 extra grams is around 117 joules which is a half-second if you average 235 watts. The 1000 is narrower than the Leaf so if saddle discomfort causes, for example, 1 second of lost concentration then the advantage of those 12 grams is lost. But this is a classic problem with premium saddles: how do you know what's comfortable? I took a risk with a Becker because it looked comfortable and, sure enough, it was: light carbon saddles look like they'll be harsh but they deflect so much if they are the correct shape then they're comfortable. I don't know about the AX saddles or Berk, though.

borinomi

by borinomi

the answer 'go for leaf' is what you want.