Synthe versus Evade?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

Agree the Evade straps do feel cheap (esp versus Kask) though I find that when on you don't notice this - they are perfectly comfortable

I really like the Evade though think it looks awful
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airkon

by airkon

sawyer wrote:Agree the Evade straps do feel cheap (esp versus Kask) though I find that when on you don't notice this - they are perfectly comfortable

I really like the Evade though think it looks awful

If you think the evade straps feel cheap, wait till you try the Synthe ones. The straps for Synthe are so bad that it doesn't even rest flat along my face.

Evade: Looks awesome and better straps
Synthe: Better ventilation

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I think the Evade look awesome in small and medium... the large is well....very large. I have both a medium and large in the evade and when I wear the large it's like a watermelon on my head. I altered the padding on the medium ,so I no longer feel the pinch points on the side of my head and will be using the med from here on out.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

angrylegs

by angrylegs

I've gotten a few rides in with the Synthe (White, medium). Best helmet I've ever owned. It's light, almost no present on your head, very ventilated and cool. The straps are very light and not bulky and cumbersome (I'm looking at you, Whisper Plus), but I did spend a fair bit of time with them to get them to sit flat and to my liking - but I got mine to sit flat and be nearly unnoticeable when looked at from the front. There's a good amount of fit customization. I'm really happy with the profile - it really doesn't sit big on you. About my only complaint is I feel like it might not be a perfect fit for all head shapes (fits mine just right). This could be remedied by a little custom work from another helmet placing a thicker pad at the forehead position - there's but one very thing strip of padding there. Fantastic helmet, but I cannot compare to the Evade.

Tqubed

by Tqubed

I have a snythe black-medium. It's a great helmet. Lighter and better ventilated than my old Giro Atmos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Just got an Evade. Switching from a Giro Atmos. The things I noticed right off the bat were that the fit was far better for my head and also the look of my head changed completely. All of the sudden my head does not look like it is 6 time bigger. Down side is that I live in South Florida and it is hot all year round. The Evade is not as good in the ventilation and cooling department as the Atmos was. Considerably lower if I may say so!!!

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

I own the Synthe and so does my mate. So in our sample size of two, both of us had the same problem of the Roc Loc system part that connects at the back become detached. Bit hard to explain but it connects together by a small plastic nib and after a while (in my case just a 6 months of use) it no longer reattaches.

So I thinkk design and quality wise it was a little sub par for what you pay and expect.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've used the evade on triple digit days.. It's not so bad..or usually another part of my is suffering more so I don't notice

2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

In case you haven't read detailed review on Synth and Evade https://intheknowcycling.com/2015/09/27 ... ad-helmets

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

reknop

by reknop

mpulsiv wrote:In case you haven't read detailed review on Synth and Evade https://intheknowcycling.com/2015/09/27 ... ad-helmets

Good reference.
I'm personally aiming at a Giro Synthe MIPS in size S. Always hard to judge helmet fit from a review, because -just like shoes- fit is something really personal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Be very careful of MIPS.

I had a Bell MTB helmet with MIPS. If you are bald headed like me and Kojak - then beware. The MIPS liner and the cut outs are sharp and cut into your scalp. Very uncomfortable and annoying. If you have a full head of hair - you should be OK.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Svetty wrote:
Philbar72 wrote:Got both.

The evade is very slightly faster on a flat course. the Synthe is better for climbing. both are very comfy, and the synthe is the cooler temperature wise.

in terms of crash protection, i'd say the evade would be better.

I'm impressed with your measuring - to actually be able to correct for all the variables involved and determine that the Evade is faster: Respect! :roll: :roll:

LOL, very true, any difference is going to be so slight that even if a lab / tunnel, you'd be hard pressed to find it.

Personally find the Evade a bit ugly, and Synthe quite normal looking. My vote goes to the Kask Protone, aero, light comfy, quality.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Just bought a Kask Protone to go along with my Synthe. Tried a Prevail but it just looked too odd to me. The Protone is a much tighter fit than the Synthe, I have a medium in both but the Protone only just fits whereas the Synthe is quite sloppy which was my main reason for replacing. Of these two the Synth was a bit cooler but neither is a problem. I personally think the Protone looks much, much better on my head as it's far more compact and less mushroom like!
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

topflightpro

by topflightpro

BugsBunny7788 wrote:Be very careful of MIPS.

I had a Bell MTB helmet with MIPS. If you are bald headed like me and Kojak - then beware. The MIPS liner and the cut outs are sharp and cut into your scalp. Very uncomfortable and annoying. If you have a full head of hair - you should be OK.

I too was not a huge fan of the MIPS, and I'm not bald. The rubber pieces that connect the MIPS to the Synthe retention system dug into my head. They were quite uncomfortable. I had to add additional padding in the helmet to cover it.

I had to replace the MIPS helmet after a crash. I got the non-MIPS Synthe. It's not the most comfortable helmet, and I generally like Giro. It fits great circumference wise, but sits funny on the top of my head.

Also, I thought the MIPS made the helmet hotter - that the plastic liner retained heat, but I think it is just the Synthe design in general. Despite the vents, I don't feel much, if any, air flow.

I am thinking of trying a Protone.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

cmcdonnell wrote:Just bought a Kask Protone to go along with my Synthe. Tried a Prevail but it just looked too odd to me. The Protone is a much tighter fit than the Synthe, I have a medium in both but the Protone only just fits whereas the Synthe is quite sloppy which was my main reason for replacing. Of these two the Synth was a bit cooler but neither is a problem. I personally think the Protone looks much, much better on my head as it's far more compact and less mushroom like!

Yes, Giro is notorious for mushroom head per se' that's because their helmets are wide and large. From direct experience their MEDIUM feels like a LARGE and their SMALL is tiny in contrast to Specialized, Kask and Lazer, which can actually fit on an MEDIUM size head.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com