Lightweight Meilenstein 16/20 or 20/20 ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hello,

As the Campa Bora Clincher seems to be perpetually postponed :( , I will maybe now buy a pair of Lightweight Meilenstein Clincher for my new C60.

But 16/20 or 20/20 ?? :noidea:

The difference is only 25 grams and LIghtweight says that the 20/20 give more stability. This is a important point as I want to have wheels I can really rely on (riding in an hilly region; my weight 68 kg/ 149 pounds; no racing/ sprints but many descents)

But is there any difference with crosswinds between 16/20 and 20/ 20 ? :?

Which one would you advise me to take ? 16/20 or 20/20 ?

Tony

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Wait for the Boras. Especially if you ever want to run 25mm clinchers. Surely you can make do for 2-3 months as you wait. Unless you don't care and want the Lightweights now and have no problem getting the Boras as soon as they're available. But if it's either/or, then I'd sit tight and wait.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

I indeed want to run 25mm. But I thought that the Meilenstein run 23 & 25 mm, even if the 25 are not optimum for the LW.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Harmitc

by Harmitc

At you weight I don't think you'd have any problems on 18/20. That's what I use and it's never been an issue.

numbers505

by numbers505

The boras look really good to me. I'd wait for them.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

at your weight definitely 16 on the front - especially if you like 23mm tyres. I weigh 90kg+ and 20 on the front has been harsh in some conditions in clincher version (rim is stiffer than tubular version). Softened a bit by running 25mm tyres.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Harmitc

by Harmitc

dadoflam08 wrote:at your weight definitely 16 on the front - especially if you like 23mm tyres. I weigh 90kg+ and 20 on the front has been harsh in some conditions in clincher version (rim is stiffer than tubular version). Softened a bit by running 25mm tyres.

Totally agree with the above. At your weight 16 spoke is ideal. I'am a little heavier than you and have no problems with 16 spoke Obermayer's.

KCookie

by KCookie

Im 75kg, running 16/20 on my new Meilensteins and loving them with 25mm tyres.

KCookie

by KCookie

dadoflam08 wrote:at your weight definitely 16 on the front - especially if you like 23mm tyres. I weigh 90kg+ and 20 on the front has been harsh in some conditions in clincher version (rim is stiffer than tubular version). Softened a bit by running 25mm tyres.

Hey dadoflam08,
I see the great list of bikes you've had, do you deal with Glen at Track Cycles. ???

phollingswo

by phollingswo

Call up Jedi Sports. They're listing as delivery in April for the Bora One 50 Clinchers. Speak to them and they might have a better idea of shipping times.

Seriously though, get the Boras.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

agree with the 16/20 recommendation. 20/20 would be overkill for your weight.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Tonym: you want clinchers, right. And 25mm tires. I've ridden Lightweight clinchers and they are very harsh compared to Boras. Tubulars are undoubtedly better. Also, they are a very narrow rim which means it's a pain to remove your wheel from the bike with properly adjusted caliper brakes and 25mm tires since even opening up the brake release usually doesn't give enough clearance for the tire to drop out without some heavy handed pushing. Just food for thought. A wider clincher rim will provide both a better road feel for a clincher and just fit the 25mm tire much much better.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

At your weight 16/20 is better. I use 25mm Continental tires on my LW Ventoux (tubulars). Removing the wheels is not an issue at all and the ride is great!
OTOH I agree carbon tubulars are considerably better than carbon clinchers (I would never consider paying that kind of money for clinchers BTW).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, that's something I don't quite get... spending a fortune for a carbon wheel and not going with tubulars, which arguably have more of an affect on ride quality than the wheel itself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Oh oh the hot tubular vs. clincher debate....

Tubs were the best solution for my racing days more than 20 years ago.

Nowdays I don't race anymore and I enjoy the practical side of the clinchers. In terms of weight they are almost like tubulars as I don't have to carry a second tub.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk