Lightweight Meilenstein 16/20 or 20/20 ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

I have to disagree on the "practical side of the clinchers". It is just a matter of what you are familiar with. In any case it is better IMHO to get used to a much better wheelset (and performance) especially when you pay that amount of money.
Tubs are always the best solution :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

kgt wrote:I have to disagree on the "practical side of the clinchers". It is just a matter of what you are familiar with. In any case it is better IMHO to get used to a much better wheelset (and performance) especially when you pay that amount of money.
Tubs are always the best solution :)

Indeed, I used to be familiar with tubulars and I am now familiar with clinchers :lol:
I have to admit that getting older I often want to have something which is easier in terms of maintenance etc.... :wink:
Riding (on a good bike) is the best solution for me now. 25 years ago the only goal was to perform - at (almost) any price :mrgreen:
This is why I now use very good clincher. Clincher wheels and very good tires (vittoria) and latex if used wth alu rims. Even if they are some grams heavier than the conti GP 4000 for example.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Either way, can one really use "Lightweight Meilenstein" and "practicality" in the same sentence? :)
Whichever you choose, enjoy!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

Calnago wrote:Either way, can one really use "Lightweight Meilenstein" and "practicality" in the same sentence? :)
Whichever you choose, enjoy!

You are indeed right ! :thumbup:
"LW Meileinstein" and "practicality" cannot really be merged :twisted:
The clincher version does not help here :oops:

kgt

by kgt

IMO LW and practicality merge perfectly.
Unless you have an accident LWs are the most practical wheel since you never have to true them. Fit and forget! :)

TonyM

by TonyM

kgt wrote:IMO LW and practicality merge perfectly.
Unless you have an accident LWs are the most practical wheel since you never have to true them. Fit and forget! :)

That`s a word :twisted:
In this case, I would most probably ride my new C60 on the LW only and forget the Bora 35 Ultra, right ?
Or should I have both :shock: ?

(I keep an alu wheelset anyway , Fulcrum racing Zero Nite, in case of failure, reparation or very bad wet weather)

kgt

by kgt

It is either LW or Bora. Not both.
IMO get the LWs since you already have a Fulcrum wheelset.

TonyM

by TonyM

Same opinion. In the next 15 days I will take the LW or the Bora (if available).

I had discarded the Zipp 202 FC / Zipp 303 FC because of the weight (vs. LW/ vs. Bora) and as in the hilly region wehre I bke, the factor aero is not crucial.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Is it ever windy where you are? Hills, usually means descents as well. Throw in a bit of wind and Lightweights are a poor choice. The most favorable term I have heard people describe them in the wind is "average". Lol. And that is from LW owners. Anyone else who has ridden them in the wind are usually not so kind in their description.
The "never have to true them" argument for Lightweights is wishful thinking. Fact is, you can't true them. And their tolerance as to what they consider acceptably true is not what any good wheelbuilder would consider acceptable. Will a wheel that is 1.5mm out of true cause any ride problems? Not likely. But it most certainly can cause a not so nice pulsating effect when you're braking, especially when just lightly scrubbing off some speed. Or worse, get grabby in spots if conditions like rain cause suboptimal conditions. I just think with the combo of a clincher and a 25mm tire which you say you want to run, that you'd be far better off with the Boras. When or if Lightweight ever does update their wheel profile, that would also make your relatively new set (if you get them now) instantly even harder to sell than they are right now. Boras all day long. [emoji1]
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

Bora is a top wheelset. I agree. But not the best in crosswinds either.
Considering LWs:
- In cases of riding in windy areas Gipfelsturm is a better choise but no problem with Meilenstein either. It is average in crosswinds, ok. Is that a considerable issue? No way. 47,5mm is not that big profile at the end.
- Their tolerance is fine. Sometimes there seems like the wheel is slightly out of true (<0,6mm) but that just disappears when you ride. Pulsating effect? Scrubbing off some speed? Get grabby in spots if conditions like rain? No way!
As Andreas explains:
"We control 100% of our wheels before shipping. All tubular wheels have a tolerance of 0.4mm, only Meilenstein C have a tolerance 0f 0.5mm for trueness. If not seriously damaged, our wheels stay there for a lifetime, in some cases they'll move for about 0.1 or 0.2mm. So - if there really is a wheel with considerably more than 0.4mm untrueness - this is a clear hint that the wheel is damaged."
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106475&start=15

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hi @kgt: I feel that you and I are almost always in sync when it comes to our thoughts on bikes, setup etc., and even now we're really just stating our reasoning behind each of our respective preferences in a top wheel. No big deal. It's up to @TonyM now. Tony does not seem to be considering the Gipfelfunkenstreems :), so I'm limiting my comments to the Meilensteins, which agreed are certainly a more manageable profile at 47.5mm than the older generations at what... 58mm? And he is evaluating these against the new 35mm Boras. Just my opinion, but to me it's a no brainer which way he should go, but it's his call.

And now I feel even worse for owners of LW wheels out there, who may have thought their uber$ wheelsets were simply out of true if they were more than 0.4mm out. Rather, according to your post, this is a clear hint they are damaged. Too bad you couldn't just true them back up.

Keep us posted Tony, I have a feeling you'll be able to compare both sets yourself before all is said and done :beerchug:

TonyM

by TonyM

Because of the crosswinds, I have indeed thought about a combo Gipeflsturm/ Meilenstein but the Gipelstrum is not available as clincher unfortunately.

I have opened another thread on the question Bora vs. LW etc.... :wink:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131587

kgt

by kgt

No need to open a new thread...

LionelB

by LionelB

My LW gen III are actually slightly out of true, mostly the front. The front actually do pulsate under braking but mostly at slower speeds. Still annoying.

kgt

by kgt

I would contact Andreas for a replacement if it is so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com