Reynolds Strike wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

I'm taking delivery of a new Canyon Aeroad within the next couple of weeks. It comes equipped with a set of Reynolds Strike SLG wheels. I've tried to google them, but there are no useful reviews out there. Do any of you weenies have any experience with the currrent generation Strike's? They are 62mm tall and 25mm wide, but only have 20 spokes in the rear and 16 in the front, so I'd really like to hear about stiffness and perhaps hub durability, from anyone who's actually tried a pair.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I don't have the strikes, but I have the previous generation 66's (21mm wide, 20-spoke). They work fine on my TT bike, but the few times I have put them on my road bike, they rub. I'm a heavier rider, however, so that impacts the stiffness.

spookyload

by spookyload

Just google Assault SLG wheels. Same everything except rim depth. KT hubs are good, SLG rims have great braking and use the blue cryo pads that come with them. They are good pads. With the new Strikes they made the nipples external again which takes a hit in aero, but makes them much easier to service. I have KT/Reynolds hubs in two wheel sets now. Flawless so far. Everything else about them is standard for deep aero wheels...crosswinds will be a handful. I don't think you need to worry about stiffness in a rim that deep and wide. They will be just fine.

Rascal

by Rascal

I've been running the 66mm pre-SLG Strike's for a couple of years. I'm a heavier rider (195-200lbs). They have been solid and no problem with good braking using Reynold Blue pads. Hubs have been solid. No rubbing or flex mounted on my CAAD5. Not the exact wheelset you are considering, but I'd thought I'd throw my Reynolds Strike info into the mix...
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

I finally received my Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8.0 with these Reynolds Strike SLG wheels. For some reason, they are different to the ones on Reynolds' website because A) mine have internal nipples and B) they are "tubeless" compatible. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but the rear wheel feels noticeably less flexy (when pushing on the rear rim by hand) than the 2014 model, on which I did a test ride on last year (and would describe as the flexiest wheel I have ever had the misfortune of riding).

bCloud09c

by bCloud09c

Interesting, I know the Aero line has internal nipples, but I just bought a set of the 2015 Strike SLGs, and the nipples are external, and the wheel can run tubeless.

djm

by djm

Stiffness on mine are great. No noticeable brake rub under load. I've really enjoyed riding them so far.

Grill

by Grill

bCloud09c wrote:Interesting, I know the Aero line has internal nipples, but I just bought a set of the 2015 Strike SLGs, and the nipples are external, and the wheel can run tubeless.

Apples and oranges. The Aero line is based off the RZR 92 and its DET shape with the spoke holes terminating below the lip for better aero performance, whereas the Strike uses a more traditional 25mm shape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racersir

by racersir

I have a pair of 2014 and a pair 2015 never really noticed a difference in riding between the two of them. I love them