Hollowgram vs. SL-K Light

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Presently, I have a SL-K light chainset installed with mid-compact FSA rings. I haven't found it lacking in stiffness or shift quality. My other points of reference would be an FSA Omega (Relatively speaking, an anchor, nowhere near as nice, lacks stiffness and shifting a bit clunky) and a 5800 105 set (quite nice, shifts very well). I have weighed the crank at 590g excluding bearings.

I have the opportunity to buy a SISL2 crank for £300, give or take. I don't think the weight advantage is huge for that money, and SpideRings don't come in mid compact, so I'd be using the same FSA rings or something similar instead. Basically, is it worth it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ross

by ross

150grams savings for £300, I've done worse :)

I would say keep the SL-K light and spend the money elsewhere to be honest, unless you've done everything else already

ITTY

by ITTY

If you can't use the spiderring, I'd stick with what you've got.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

I had the weight difference nearer 70g myself, given I wouldn't be using a spidering, and the 400-odd weight figure given for the SiSL2 excludes the axle. At that point it seems a better idea to change the 250g saddle for weight saving.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I've ridden both and you'd never be able to tell the difference.....get some Praxis rings and spend the rest on some other light parts or fresh kit.

ms6073

by ms6073

MisterMuncher wrote:I have the opportunity to buy a SISL2 crank for £300, give or take.

Is your frame BB30 or PF30 bottom bracket? If not this is a non-starter as the SISL2 crank is BB30/PF30 and Will Not Fit anything else!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

2old4this

by 2old4this

One of my bikes had slk-light with FSA. I replaced the crankset with SISL2 with compact spidering. The shifting is second to shimano DA (that is my favorite). Stiffness, light weight, shift quality make the hollowgram the winner. If you are not as big as I am (167lb), I do not know if you can tell the difference in stiffness, though.

martinko

by martinko

But count in some extra tools for maintenance.

numbers505

by numbers505

Seems like a pretty good price for the hollowgram. When I bought my sisl crank I paid 700 usd. I too replaced the spider and went with praxis compact.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Since no body is talking about aesthetics, I'd say the Hollowgram is the winner!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Thinking about making this change myself from an 2012ish sl-k light to sisl2. I haven't weighed it, but all in with rings it's somewhere in the 750g department. Reckon a 200g+ saving with the spiderings would be worth it. The sl-k is pretty stiff but I get noticeable flex and clicking when going for it uphill. The sisl2 is supposedly stiffer so...

lippythelion

by lippythelion

Are the Hollowgram cranks pre-owned? Even if they are it's a good deal, especially if it includes bearings etc. If you're going to be using non-Cannondale rings you will need to buy a separate Hollowgram 5 arm spider (I don't know if that's even an option on SiSl2 cranks).

kgt

by kgt

FSA are not great cranksets IME.

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

lippythelion wrote:Are the Hollowgram cranks pre-owned? Even if they are it's a good deal, especially if it includes bearings etc. If you're going to be using non-Cannondale rings you will need to buy a separate Hollowgram 5 arm spider (I don't know if that's even an option on SiSl2 cranks).

the sisl2 can take a 5 arm spider.

That way you can still get your mid compact by using praxis rings.

roadieboy

by roadieboy

I switched from a SL-K to a Hollowgram SL. Probably the most noticeable upgrade I've ever had, after taking my first few pedal strokes on the Hollowgram, I was amazed at how much stiffer it was.

I also managed to flip the SL-K for a few $ more than I payed for the Hollowgram, so that was nice too. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com