Easiest clincher road tyres to mount (tubeless compatible ri

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dman

by Dman

Hi,
I'd appreciate some advice. I've got some new tubeless compatible AX carbon clinchers and for the life of me I can't fit my favorite clincher tyres (Panaracer Type A 23c). Traditionally they are hard as they have a very tight bead.

I pre-stretched them on a H Plus Son rim to 150psi first but still not even close with someone helping and 4 tyre levers at play. Next step will be a hairdryer to warm the tyre first [emoji16]

So, what are the softest clincher tyres? I'm thinking GP4000s are worth a go next.

Not that interested in tubeless tyres yet but that might change....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Gp4000s tyres are quite easy to fit to most rims but it epends on the rims and your tyrefittin technique. Do you case the slack around the rim by any chance. If ot learn how to do this.

showdown

by showdown

I had the same problem with a set of Vittoria Open Corsa tires on a set of Ultegra tubeless-compatible rims. Switching to the GP 4000S II solved the problem. Still takes a bit of effort but nothing out of the ordinary.

Dman

by Dman

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them next

hdk

by hdk

IF you decide to go the tubeless route, I was able to easily mount Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tires on my Campagnolo Shamal rims.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

I've found Challenge, Vittoria & Continental to be pretty easy to mount/dismount. Only other one I've attempted to remove was a Panaracer pre fitted to a wheel I bought. Almost cut it off it was so tight.

Dman

by Dman

GP4000s mounted. They are infinitely easier to mount than anything else [THUMBS UP SIGN]

liam7020

by liam7020

Mounted a pair of Michelin Pro 4 Service Course on a set of tubeless compatible carbon clinchers with little problem. However the Pro 4s felt like I was riding through treacle - only used them cos I got one free and the other one cheap. Anyhow riding them was a miserable experience and they had to come off. Reverted to my absolute favourite clincher tyre - Veloflex Corsa. Well now, putting the Veloflex on the tubeless clinchers rims was defo the biggest tyre fitting struggle I've had in 30+ years of riding bikes! Even more difficult than fitting tyres to Campag Neutron wheels and that's saying something!!

Of course with the Veloflex the ride quality is now sublime but I dread getting a roadside puncture......
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Dman

by Dman

I'll try Veloflex next! Love the tubulars

Smallring

by Smallring

I gave up and went for tubeless tires after pinching few tubes trying to mount Michelin Pro 4 Race to Ultegra wheels. It was a nightmare. Imagine if you got a flat on the road and need to change tubes?

Dman

by Dman

I'm on team GP4000s now. Easy to mount and remount later

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com