Recommend me a top of the line tire brand for my SES ENVE 4.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

My GP Force and TT with Latex tubes are notably smoother than the bog standard GP4000s. Could be the thinner rubber (180g vs. 230g). Not Vittoria smooth, but close enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asv

by asv

Vittoria Pave Black or Open Corsas

zsommer79

by zsommer79

pharmboyflo wrote:Zsommer79, are you talking about the same wheels. The new SES 4.5 enves?. I know the aeoulous 5 d3 with 25mm conti i put on the emonda slur to try it out were rubbing excessively and i could not ride 3 feet with them.

Yes the new SES 4.5 Enves. The new Aeolous wheels are 27mm font and rear while the 4.5s are 27mm front 25.5 rear. If you rubbing the rear brake with the Aeolus then you might still be ok with the Enves. If you were rubbing in the front you will probably have the same issue with both wheelsets.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

GP4000 SII, seriously.

I can claim to have tried a shitload of different tyres (Veloflex, Michelin, Vittoria, Schwalbe, Spesh) and I always come back to Continental due to their unrivaled puncture protection, durability, handling in wet weather conditions and rolling resistance. Can't fault the ride quality either.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

GP4000S are one of the best all rounders out there, but do give the Michelin Pro4SC a try. So far I've logged around 4000 miles on one set and 3000 on another. No much issues with them. Even rode on a 2 mile stretch gravel road at 20+mph.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

pharmboyflo wrote:Hi guys,
So I been using Continetal Grand PRIX GP 4000 on my Madone last year and now i got a new bike and i've tried to use the same tires on my new Emonda SLR 10 but the 25mm tires are rubbing against the dura ace calipers so i have to switch to 23mm.

The GP4000 is a very tall tire, but I'm still surprised they are that tight. You need more than a little clearance for debris that sticks to the tires.

I have a Veloflex Corsa 25 on the front and a GP4000S 25 on the rear. The Veloflex is nearly 2mm shorter. Actually the Veloflex 25 is very close in size to a Vittoria 23. Either of those would be good if you want good ride quality, but they are also much more susceptible to glass cuts in the rear, though they seem fine on the front.
formerly rruff...

pharmboyflo

by pharmboyflo

spdntrxi wrote:
pharmboyflo wrote:Yes it does have them.

you think they would have went with the same clearance as the madone ? My wifes bike has aeolus d3 with 25mm conti's and has no issues using DA brakes... tons of room.

The Emonda does not have the same clearance as the Madone. I used 25mm with Aeoulous 5 d3 all summer long with no issue and lots of clearance on the Madone. But on the Emonda the front tire is rubbing quite a bit with the same wheels and tires.

Imagevia Imgflip GIF Maker

pharmboyflo

by pharmboyflo

Would guys recommend using a 23mm in the front Continental GP 4000 and 25mm in the rear? I can keep the rear one as it is since it doesn't rub and maybe buy a 23mm for the front?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You say you have the SLR 10. But I didn't think you could even get that other than as a complete "lightest in the world production bike". And it's a white fork. I thought the SLR 10 was only in black and red?

That aside, I chose the Emonda SL for a couple of reasons... not the least of which was that it does NOT have the direct mount brakes, which I personally find quite ugly, but mostly because I intend to use the bike for a foul weather rain bike, with great road bike geometry. I suspect it is the brakes that are causing the issue, not the frame? Are those the Shimano BR-9010 brakes on there? It looks like, as is the case with Campy Skeleton brakes, when a wider rim is used the arm of the brake actually drops down at the top as you have to let it out to accommodate the wider rim. That is one reason for the clearance issues. The other is simply the use of the Conti 4000s II 25mm, which is a great tire but sits tall, and even taller on a wider rim. I think there's still a lot of fine tuning of direct mount brakes due before they really get it right. Perhaps a different direct mount caliper would give you more clearance, I don't know.

The new standard mount Shimano brakes are exceptional for clearance. There are no issues with brake arm dropping down on top of the tire as the rim gets wider and you have to open them up for more clearance. And the way they are shaped and operate a full fender will fit right up in there and not even get "squished" when the brake is activated. In fact, even though I run full Campy I will be straying a bit when I mount the fenders and using the current Shimano 105 brakes on my Emonda SL along with 25mm tubulars with ample clearance.

This is little consolation for your dilemma I realize, so short of trying different direct mount brake calipers, running a 23mm tire seems to be your best bet up front. No problem in running a slightly bigger tire at the rear if that's your preference and you have the clearance, but personally I like the same tires front and rear.

I'd like to see a picture of the clearance you have with that ENVE front rim and the Conti 4000 in the fork but without the brake attached if possible. I've tested some ENVE 3.4's with Conti 25mm 4000S II clinchers and they do have their issues, for sure. I think with the brake track at 27mm wide you have to be very careful about where and with what brakes you use them with. And the combination of clinchers and rims of different widths leads to all kinds of variations. The variance in how the tire sits is much smaller with a tubular since it's overall dimension has little if anything to do with the rim width. Not so with clinchers.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

pharmboyflo wrote:Would guys recommend using a 23mm in the front Continental GP 4000 and 25mm in the rear? I can keep the rear one as it is since it doesn't rub and maybe buy a 23mm for the front?

No problem at all. You could also use one of the V tires on the front if you want a smoother riding tire, per my post above.
formerly rruff...

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

As it wasn't mentioned before: You could try the Specialized S-Works Turbo 24 or 26.
Ride quality is better than GP 4000 sII, but not as perfect as Veloflex. Grip and speed is best of the three. Puncture protection seems fine so far, they don't collect stones. Lacking durability is the main disadvantage, but Veloflex aren't better in that regard.

The size 24 is as wide as a 23mm Conti - 24mm on a 15C rim, but Contis are higher. The size 26 Specialized is propably smaller than the 25mm Conti, which is a huge tire - I measured 26.7mm on a 15C rim, but I haven't seen the 26mm Specialized yet.

pharmboyflo

by pharmboyflo

I've ended up purchasing Schwalbe Ones 23mm with Contis race 28 lite tubes, will see how it looks as soon as i get my wheels i'll post the pix. Thanks guys for your advice.

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

OP depends on what kind of riding you do. Nice wheels though !

Poon
Poonjabby Rides a Bike on Facebook

fogman

by fogman

Calnago wrote:It looks like, as is the case with Campy Skeleton brakes, when a wider rim is used the arm of the brake actually drops down at the top as you have to let it out to accommodate the wider rim. That is one reason for the clearance issues. The other is simply the use of the Conti 4000s II 25mm, which is a great tire but sits tall, and even taller on a wider rim.
I've tested some ENVE 3.4's with Conti 25mm 4000S II clinchers and they do have their issues, for sure.

Are there 25mm clincher tires out there that sit lower than the Conti GP4000SII if one were to have clearance issues with the fork and/or frame? Michelin? Vredestein? Schwalbe? The ERTRO chart says the minimum size for a 17c rim bead diameter is a 25mm clincher.
Last edited by fogman on Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petromyzon

by petromyzon

In addition, Conti come up quite small relative to their stated weight. I wouldn't say it's a given that all 23mm tires will clear your brakes if you are having trouble with GP4000 700x25c.

I'm not sure GP4000s would be everyone's idea of top of the line but in my experience there is nothing else with as good a balance of speed and durability.