Recommend me a top of the line tire brand for my SES ENVE 4.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pharmboyflo

by pharmboyflo

Hi guys,
So I been using Continetal Grand PRIX GP 4000 on my Madone last year and now i got a new bike and i've tried to use the same tires on my new Emonda SLR 10 but the 25mm tires are rubbing against the dura ace calipers so i have to switch to 23mm. What is a good brand out there beside the Continental? . My new enve ses 4.5 should arrive soon and i need to get tires for them.
Thank you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Veloflex Corsas ride very nice, but can be a bit fragile if you ride on poor roads.

Michelin Pro4 Service Course are also quite nice; I used to ride Veloflex but switched to these about 6 months ago and have been very happy. They don't ride as nice as the Veloflex, but the difference is pretty minimal to my butt-o-meter and they are more durable.

pharmboyflo

by pharmboyflo

Thank you for the recommendation Fa63!. I looked into the Corsas and you are right they are very nice but most of the reviewers on amazon complained about puncturing easily.I do a lot of trail riding and i encounter small tree sticks and gravel so I can see that being a problem for me. i guess that leaves me with Michelin option for now. Thank you

zsommer79

by zsommer79

It my understanding that Enve does not recommend using a 23mm tire on the 4.5s. Think since the wider rim stretches the tire out there isn't enough side wall to protect against pot holes. That being said I have been on a couple rides with a guy running 23mm Conti 4000s on a set of 4.5 and he hasn't had any issues.

pharmboyflo

by pharmboyflo

Zsommer79, are you talking about the same wheels. The new SES 4.5 enves?. I know the aeoulous 5 d3 with 25mm conti i put on the emonda slur to try it out were rubbing excessively and i could not ride 3 feet with them.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Curious. Does your SLR 10 have the direct mount brakes?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pharmboyflo

by pharmboyflo

Yes it does have them.

random101

by random101

edit

kgt

by kgt

Veloflex or hi end Vittoria or hi end Challenge.
More fragile than Continental but way better tires with much nicer feel. Unfortunately you can't have it all.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

read somewhere that Veloflex explicitly excludes the use of their tyres (not sure if thats the whole line or just certain models) on carbon clinchers, as they've had a lot of reported failures
Official cafe stop tester

fa63

by fa63

Their packaging has a warning stating they shouldn't be used with carbon clinchers, but I have ignored that warning for several years without any issues.

Marin

by Marin

Conti Attack/Force or Conti GP TT could be an option. Won't last as long as GP4000s though.

nickf

by nickf

I used the veloflex corsa for years. Currently using the 25s on my clincher wheels. My training rides always take me down a multi use trail with lots of debris and never had anything organic puncture the tire. It always seems to be a small metal fragments. Just watch where you riding.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

pharmboyflo wrote:Yes it does have them.

you think they would have went with the same clearance as the madone ? My wifes bike has aeolus d3 with 25mm conti's and has no issues using DA brakes... tons of room.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

sawyer

by sawyer

There is nothing with great ride quality, low crr and great puncture resistance I'm afraid

Best you depends on how much value each of those

GP 4000 SII is about the best scored across the three, though loses points on ride quality yes ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com