Picking last bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Long story short, slow moving incurable cancer that will eventually get me (unless some bozo in a car bumps me off my bike first).

Despite dealing with side effects of treatment, thankfully, most days I feel pretty good and one of my escapes is riding my bike. Love riding, use to race (meds put a stop to that - crashed my hemocrit), still love the thrill of sweeping turns and dancing on pedals. Its my second love to downhill skiing.

Currently stead is a Look 595 (~2008) with mix of chorus and record. Great bike but starting to think I would like to have one last great bike, a bike with some history behind it.

Currently looking at either the Pinarello F8 of Colnago C60. I'll stick with Campy mech.

Have read previous posts, comments, RBA review of both bikes etc but thought I'd just put it out there. If you were coming off a Look595, had to pick one, which one would you choose? (BTW, did own a C40 yrs ago, great bike but ultimately sold it as I wanted something with more responsive handling).

Thx in advance
It only hurts if you think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

(Forgetting bland sympathies because I guess you don't want any from here)

Dude, Get Both!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Having never ridden either, I'd go Colnago.

BTW, sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Joso

by Joso

Just get what you like the most and enjoy it.

mentok

by mentok

A friend of mine has a garage full of pretty bikes and the cherry red Colnago Master with SR11 is the pick of them. If i could only have 1 more it would almost do.

Here's to your health. Whatever you pick, i hope you get plenty of miles on it.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Get something that can be had quickly. Custom can take months. Have something that will just make you hapy. Suggest test riding before buying.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

So sorry to hear your news. C60 all the way!

RyanH

by RyanH

Pegoretti.

When a $5000 Parlee Z5 SLi 2014 frame can be barely sold for $2000 used in near pristine condition, how special can it (carbon frames in general) be?

tinozee

by tinozee

Johnnysmooth, sorry to hear about that damn cancer. I like your plans to enjoy riding on a high end bike. If you watch some racing footage you can see the Sky guys putting the F8 to the limit all the time, seems it's an amazing high performance machine. I notice a lot of the Europcar guys are using the VR-1 for some reason not the C60. Can't go wrong with the C60 either though I'm sure. If you are in Boston you can probably find test rides on both. I know Wheelworks has the F8 and also sell Colnago. I am going there Fri and will check and see what they have and if they demo those.

phollingswo

by phollingswo

C60 all the way. Particularly if you're running campy mechanical. For me, there's something just a bit more magical about the colnago than the F8. Don't get me wrong, both incredible bikes and you couldn't go wrong with either.

Have you got an opportunity to go and try them both? I feel like your mind would be made up for you that way.

Also N+1 applies always. And, *f##k* cancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by phollingswo on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Thanks everyone for the input.
Definitely not looking for sympathies, more just putting my decision into context.
Living in Vienna now - move back stateside in late July so thought I would take advantage of the great exchange rate. Unfortunately, though, unlikely to be able to ride either frame in advance. Thus the reference to the Look 595 - coming off that bike, is the F8 or C60 likely to be more to my liking?

And as to the cherry red Colnago Master with SR, I do have something similar, a '96 DeRosa Primato. She needs a new paint job (derosa was never very good with painting their frames) and some upgrades on components, but she is a wonderful bike.
It only hurts if you think.

kgt

by kgt

Since you like your 595 I think you will love a C60. It will be smooth and lively but much stiffer. Enjoy it!

Bogan

by Bogan

Like your attitude. Me, I would put both in the living room.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

Alfie22

by Alfie22

I would choose the c60 because it looks more classic.

It's just a matter of taste. What ever you choose it would be perfect. We are talking about two of the best bike frames in the world..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

C60 and throw some new Bora Ultra 35s on it ... Enjoy!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: