Picking last bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ALS

by ALS

Purely based on performance I'd say Dogma but for everything else I'd agree with the majority and say C60 assuming it doesn't take too long to get one.

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Ok, leaning towards C60.
Always like the Colnago paint schemes and am thinking either the Red one or Maserati blue. Has anyone seen these two side by side? Blue is really dark on Colnago site so hard to tell what it actually looks like in normal lighting from various perspectives - is it lighter or just a really, really dark blue
It only hurts if you think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jesherwood

by jesherwood

sawyer wrote:C60 and throw some new Bora Ultra 35s on it ... Enjoy!

+1

Johnnysmooth, I share the sentiments already expressed regarding your diagnosis. I'm glad to see you're not letting it define you or what you do.
More weight than weenie.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Order the C60 in the exact size and spec you want. You will likely have to wait a while for delivery. So get the F8 now and ride it in the meantime. Best of both worlds and under the circumstances, well... Why not.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ALS

by ALS

+1 on getting both!

On colours I've seen both but not side by side. The blue is dark and it looks fantastic, I'm not a huge fan of the traditional Colnago paint jobs as they are a little 'busy' for my taste but I have to admit it looked amazing.

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Go Go Johnny, go Johnny B smooth. I had cancer in '78 and have been on the watch list since. We all have a clock but never know how fast it moves, so we better make the moves we want today, not tomorrow. If your relo is (back to?) Beantown, then how about an Indy Fab? Last I looked, their backlog was 3 months so the bike could arrive when you do. There are many respected and smaller custom builders in the northeast that might be able to meet that schedule. I don';t know if JP Weigle is still working, but he was in Connecticut. Engin bikes and Bilenky Cycle Works in Philly. I think Seven is in Sommerville.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'm biased towards Colnago having made the leap, but considering your situation, I'd additionally suggest doing as many trips with the bike as possible and getting a Shimano camera to record as much as possible. Get the best bike but also make as many lasting memories on the bike that you can.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

numbers505

by numbers505

I've never ridden one but the c60 is a beauty! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Post pics when you decide!

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

OK, decision has been made:

C60, Maserati Blue (OFMA), 59cm, traditional geo
Campy SR, mechanical, crank 175 52/36
Bora One 35

Thanks everyone for all your help and encouragement with decision.

And of course, thanks for the well wishes. If it is one thing I have learned through this process it is the following:
None of us know when our number might be called, live each day to its fullest.
Of course we have all heard something to this effect in our lives but it is not till you end up having to deal with something like I have that you truly appreciate each and every day.

Be well, go fast and go in peace.

PS will post pix and give ride report once she arrives - late May.
It only hurts if you think.

sawyer

by sawyer

johnnysmooth - very true words and great choice there

think i said Bora Ultras but yeah, the ceramic bearings are hard to justify at c£500 premium

please get tubs though!

that will be an awesome steed - looking forward to the pics
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

TonyM

by TonyM

Hey Johnnysmooth,

Good choice ! :thumbup:

I made the same choice a few months ago 8) My C60 took however almost 5 months to arrive (here in Germany) and I still wait for my Bora 35 Clincher. And because life is short, I may buy some LW in order to ride my new bike. Life is too short to be boring :mrgreen: (I almost died a few years ago due to an inflammation of my myocardal muscle)

Harmitc

by Harmitc

That's a great choice! Enjoy and we look forward to the pictures!

ALS

by ALS

looking forward to seeing your bike, great choice

+1 on tubs

stanseven

by stanseven

Great choice. I've looked at both. The Pinarello is probably the slight edge in performance but the Colnago is history and tradition. Plus the Colnago likely has the best feeling ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

I was looking at about 10 different F8s and C60, c59s today at teh shop, they are both so sweet you will love the C60 I bet. Good luck. If you ever live back in Boston and for any reason still deciding, Chris at wheelworks is who to contact for a demo. They have a demo fleet of all sizes F8s and a few C60 sizes and will let you test side by side.