Helmet for long head, any tips?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motdoc

by motdoc

Hi everyone,
I wonder if you could help with advice. My head very long and narrow, kind of aero looking. But big. Unfortunately to get a helmet that fits from front to back I need one which is huge and bulges out at the sides. I've been in a few shops and can't find any that fit well. Does the forum have any advice on which brands fit this shape head?
Many thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trex021

by trex021

motdoc wrote:Hi everyone,
I wonder if you could help with advice. My head very long and narrow, kind of aero looking. But big. Unfortunately to get a helmet that fits from front to back I need one which is huge and bulges out at the sides. I've been in a few shops and can't find any that fit well. Does the forum have any advice on which brands fit this shape head?
Many thanks

I would describe my head shape the same way: long and narrow. Mine is 597mm circumference. My size large Giro Aeon is very comfortable. It looks a little wider than I'd like, though. I'm interested in trying out the new Giro Synthe in a medium. Unfortunately none of the local shops have it yet. Giro lists it as fitting up up to 59cm.
Last edited by trex021 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dem

by dem

I'm also super pointy headed. Best fit so far: LAS.

Giro is in the middle and fits okay - I have a Synthe. Also fits okay: Fox MTB. Rudy Project also seems to be mid-oval but I have not owned one.

Absolutely won't work for me: Bell and Limar, Urge. All very round headed.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

How about a Lazer Genesis? It has the rollsys-system. Basically you can tighten / loosen the whole circumference by turning a dial on top of the helmet. Kinda hard to explain it technically, but it works great for me and all the other people who have tried my helmet.

Grill

by Grill

I have the same head. Kask Mojito was a lifesaver.

blantonator

by blantonator

I have a long oval, and the Giro, Bell, Lazer helmets are all very round. My head fits perfectly in a Specialized Prevail.

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Same problem. Rudy Project isn't great for me too much pressure on the forehead. Kask seem to fit the best of the ones I've tried.

tinozee

by tinozee

I have the same issue. Rudy Sterling fits for me and looks good. The Aeon fits too, but looks like a complete mushroom.

trex021

by trex021

A mushroom! LOL Yeah, that pretty much describes my look with the Aeon on.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Try Specialized. I have a ridiculous "heed" and I can actually get into a smaller sized Specialized than other brands (medium vs large). Helps with the sides being too wide.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dj97223

by dj97223

motdoc wrote:Hi everyone,
My head very long and narrow, kind of aero looking. But big.
Many thanks

Like this?
Attachments
images-3.jpeg
images-3.jpeg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Horizons

by Horizons

Kask helmets look a lot narrower than Giro.

I used to have a Giro Aeon but thought it looked too big as well so i bought a Mojito. Might get the Protone as well.

Weight-wise it's the same as Giro (might be a few grams heavier because of the heavier straps but who gives a shit) and comfort-wise it's the same as well.

motorthings

by motorthings

same head shape here, and bell helmets have always looked less mushroomey on me.

motdoc

by motdoc

Thanks for all the help. A lot of good suggestions.
Almost exactly like the alien. Yes aero but a nightmare in side winds

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

outnumbered

by outnumbered

I'm similar - always very hard to find a helmet that fits, despite my head circumference being 59-60cm which isn't abnormal. I found the Kask Mojito to be the best of the many that I tried. The slightly cheaper Kask model was also OK. Previously I'd always found Specialized to fit well, but the current models weren't good.