campag 10 speed shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

keiro

by keiro

Hello All

First time poster so please go easy.

I am building up a cervelo s3 frame, mainly a campag build. I think I probably want to stick to 10 speed as all my wheels and my other bike are both campag 10 speed.

However I would ideally like to get a nice new set of 10 speed shifters. I have found these on ebay which look ideal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121160243104

I would like to know what year they are as I think there is some issues with ergo/rear mech compatibility on some 10 speed models.

Does anyone know what year the shifters are and have any comments on rear mech compatibility? Would I for example need a matching rear mech from the same year?

Thanks

jekyll man

by jekyll man

your link points to 11spd record (well pictured anyway).
I'd double check as to whats actually for sale

Some of the lower level 10spd ergo's can be problematical, so imo best avoided.
Unfortunately record 10 fetches crazy money.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

The pic is 11 speed Record (new shape levers) while the listing is for 10 speed Record (old shape levers).

Contact the seller to confirm but I think it's a picture error. It's not a scam - Sprockets is a reputable seller.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Definitely the text description is of the old style shifters.

They are 204 GBP less 10% I believe at Ribble right now - so significantly better than your link

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/gearshift-sti-ergo-campagnolo-qs-ergopowers-double-record-10-spd-with-cables/campgrss960000000000

The alternative is to go with a new shape powershift lever - saves lots of money, and works just fine, one upshift at a time, and multiple downshifts. 76 GBP less the discount.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/gearshift-sti-ergo-campagnolo-power-shift-ergos-double-veloce-black-10spd-with-cables/campgrss107000000000
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Just to add to bikerjulio's comments, for some strange reason Ribble still don't list the 2015 Veloce levers. They have updated internals and an EPS style angled button.

I got a set from Wiggle and have been using them for a couple of months. I've been very impressed with them.

c50jim

by c50jim

As others have said, the picture shows 11 speed shifters and the description is 10 speed.

I've used a lot of 10 speed parts over the years and have found compatibility among the various parts to be good. Record shifters with Veloce derailleurs, Centaur shifters with Record derailleurs. All have worked well, whether from the same year or not. I don't like some of the Centaur shifters because they don't trim on the front or handle multiple shifts but that's a matter of taste and preference. They still work well.

It's not clear where you are. I'm Canadian and have found various UK sources to be cheap and quick to ship. Parts from RIbble arrive here in a week. I sent some used shifters to California using the post and they took almost two weeks to arrive. Check on line sources other than just eBay.

If you're interested, I have some new Record and Centaur 10 parts and used Record 10 parts on this site because I've largely moved on to 11. New ones were spares, used ones came off low mileage C40s.

szazbo

by szazbo

Campagnolo did make 10 speed shifters in the new shape, they were Chorus for 1 year. Record and SR were 11 speed. You could also change the 10 speed ratchet ring from the Chorus shifter to the SR/R shifter if desired. I put the 10 speed Chorus shifters on my wifes bike.

tekhna

by tekhna

Has shifting quality actually improved of the years w/10 speed Campy? I've got 2007-era Veloce and while I don't love the shifter ergonomics, the actual shifting has always been very good.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I assumed OP was in the UK because his link was the UK version of eBay.

One correction to above, it was the 10-speed Centaurs of 2009-10 that were Ultrashift in the new shape, not Chorus.

As far as shift quality, I can compare across several years and model types, and think they are all pretty good.

I didn't realize the Veloce shifters on Ribble were 2014, so to the OP if you are interested in going this route, I'd suggest seeking out the 2015 version, or seeking clarity from Ribble.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

stormur

by stormur

bike-discount.de and bike-components.de sell ( still ) 10 spd Record/ Chorus stuff. Same UK Wiggle ( derailleurs ) and CRC . You can complete full groupset within an hour . Prices will be very close to 2014 11spd Record.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PJCM

by PJCM

I replaced a set of first generation 2009 Centaur with the vague shifting problem with 2015 Veloce (swapping lever blades to maintain group aesthetic) and they work great.

I'm happy to trade off multiple downshifting for the improved ergonomics of the EPS style lever when in the drops. Overall, they're comparable to my 2005 Record shifters.

Sure the internals are not as high spec with bushings rather than ball bearings but I understand that Campag made refinements last year to improve both function and service life.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Whats wrong with veloce 10 speed shifters. I have aset they work very well indeed. I sell more of these than shimano sti's and i actually prefer them Over shimano's efforts.

Lots of places will do that ribble price especially if you outside the eu as vat gets removed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

keiro

by keiro

Thanks very much everyone, for your really helpful answers

I have decided that I have to bit the bullet sometime, and so have decided to upgrade to 11 speed on my 2 bikes. Going to have chorus on the S3 and athena on the boardman. Will then ebay all the old 10 speed stuff

Thanks again for all your help!