UCI approve disc & looking at weight limit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KLabs

by KLabs

Did your finger jam against the caliper & disc while the wheel was turning?

airwise

by airwise

Are any of these genuine concerns or simply examples of psychological defence mechanisms in full flow?

I've been riding discs on my cross bike in the Alps for two years or so. Revelatory on long descents and whilst I'm far too old to be a serious racer these days, I am one of the quicker descenders on a well known web site. Absolutely no issues with fade despite regularly hitting speeds between 90 kph and 105 kph and negotiating repeated hairpins.

Descending about 20,000m per month. Pads and discs still absolutely fine.

As for sharp edges, I have a dirty great gouge in my right leg from a Campag chainring and a huge scar on my hip from coming off in the wet when my rim brakes let me down. Nothing yet from riding with discs solo or with others.

Change is in the air. Some people just might need some time to adapt it seems :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Benno

by Benno

Yes it did KLabs. I've heard a few stories about this happening to mechanics. Like I said, probably the only real threat from discs.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

I lost the end of a finger about 2 months ago thanks to a disc rotor. It's the only injury I've suffered from them in over 20years of working with them. Getting a finger between the chain and chainring on a fixed wheel bike is just as bad, done that as well.
I do know someone who gas been branded by a hot rotor in a pile up, 6years later still has a perfect 1/2 rotor scar on their calf.

Still I've seen far worse injurys caused by other bits of bikes in crashes

climbandpunishment

by climbandpunishment

Sorry to hear about those injuries! That's got to be a brag-worthy scar, at least.

For me, I don't really see the advantage of more braking power in a road bike. Skinny road tires can be locked up already. The advantages of discs in my mind would be in better modulation, avoiding wear on nice carbon rims, or better all-weather performance, assuming they can make sure wheel changes are still reasonably quick.

That said, I hope the UCI will allow racers to choose disk brakes if they want. Though I personally don't want disk brakes at the moment, I think it's annoying that those with endurance-oriented race bikes with disks can't race those bikes. Racing's already got enough barriers to entry without adding artificial ones. If a rider can't control his/her braking well enough in a pack to avoid crashes due to different brakes, they should probably think twice about whether they're ready to safely race in the first place.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

MoPho wrote:
Calnago wrote:Uh... Here in the U.S. I think that is exactly how the law works. Products really do need to be idiot proof here, probably more so than any other country in the world. Car brakes are a good example.

Actually, the average car brakes can fail just the same as the bike brakes if you ride them all the way down a mountain pass as per the above tests
Brake Fade: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade
There is a reason we are taught to let the brakes cool and use low gears to compression brake down hills

Sure car (bike) companies have to make things idiot proof to a point, but they are still trying to meet cost targets that alters where that point is. You can't really buy an inexpensive car with fade resistant brakes, such items are reserved for higher end performance cars, and even many of those you can get the brakes to fade if you push them really hard

By your " completely idiot proof" argument, inexpensive bikes (or cars) could not exist. What's to stop someone from getting on a $500 hybrid bike with low end disc brakes (these have been out for years) and go careening down a 4000ft mountain pass riding the brakes until they fail?

I don't know in the USA, but try to get a Fiat 500 or a Toyota Aygo or any other small Euro, Japanese or Korean car sold in Europe to the point of brake fade. Your only chance would be a track and slick tires.

They made them like that these days...

MoPho

by MoPho

XCProMD wrote:I don't know in the USA, but try to get a Fiat 500 or a Toyota Aygo or any other small Euro, Japanese or Korean car sold in Europe to the point of brake fade. Your only chance would be a track and slick tires.

They made them like that these days...

See my other post in this thread on the subject :thumbup:

mangheesuk

by mangheesuk

disc is good. :D